Jozy on loan: can I get Hull yeah!?!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by IndividualEleven, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think these are the only options. I think he has the quality to perform well on a mid-table EPL team. I think a team in need of a big forward will pick him up. He's already proven he can compete at the EPL level, why move down?

The more I watch Jozy, the more I'm impressed with his passing. For a big forward, he is an excellent passer. He has very good vision and good weighting on his passes. If he can improve 10% in most areas of his game (especially his inconsistent first touch and heading), he will become an excellent player.

2. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Yup, he would be good for a mid tier EPL team, e.g. Stoke, Fulham, Bolton, Blackburn. Although some of these teams don't play the game pretty, they would benefit from having Jozy up top. If push came to shove, with Heskey and Carew both aging and injury prone at Villa, I'd like to think they might be interested too.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    If he goes to Stoke, get ready for a full season of Billy Squier jokes.

Mostly from me, I'll admit.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Are you some kind of a (Billy Squire) lover?

5. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lerner being American doesn't put it out of the realm of possibility either. I would imagine he'd like for Villa to be more marketable in the U.S.

I don't see Fulham falling into the category of Jozy chasers unless they lose out in keeping Okaka for another season's loan or, Heaven forbid, they lose Zamora in the summer.

1 person likes this.
  6. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I never thought I would ever hear Fulham fans saying this :D

7. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took quite a while to come around to, I'll admit. :D

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The prior year:

"Heaven forbid, they keep Zamora in the summer."

9. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    I'd say O'Neill is more likely to overpay for Zamora than take Jozy on loan. He already has a promising 19 year old striker named Delfouneso that can't get much playing time. Then Jozy can go to Fulham on loan.

10. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    True.

O'Neill seems far happier paying more for English players than going for cheaper foreigners.

Delfouneso is more of a Agbonlahor type though, Jozy is more like Heskey (except Jozy's good :D).

11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The English press already seem to look at Jozy as a second-coming of Heskey, so it might be a smart move for Villa- keep the same type of player in their system.

12. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy ain't going to Fulham. They'll already have Okaka. I'm pretty sure they'll have him on loan thru next season unless he's poached by a bigger club.

13. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the obsession with Fulham - all Yanks dont have to play there. Stoke is perfectly fine and is a better fit IMO.

14. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    We wove Woy.:cool:

15. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke's brand of football is uglier than even Hull's.

How about Sunderland? If Bent is sold, I think Jozy would fit in nicely there alongside Malbranque, Reid, and Campbell or Jones. And given Bent's contributions, I think he will be sold.

16. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland would be a good fit as well I guess but that would count on them selling either Jones or Bent and I'm not sure either will be. If they are I would reckon they would be replaced with someone more established then Jozy. Campbell would be ahead of him in the pecking order as well.

I dont care if Stoke's football is pretty just as long as he is playing and developing -- Stoke gives him a great chance at both.

I'd put Bolton down as a good spot for him as well - higher then I'd put Sunderland.

17. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Campbell usually starts alongside Bent, so if Bent is sold, Altidore would slot in nicely, with the goal scoring load falling more on Campbell. Jones comes off the bench; I'm not sure Bruce is confident in his ability to put up a solid 90 minutes.

I agree that Bolton would fit him nicely as well, especially now that Coyle is there. Elmander's got to be on the way out, and I think Jozy would fit well next to Davies.

Alongside Campbell, Jozy would have to play more of a target role, while alongside Davies he would be free to float, playing off of Davies. I think his talents would be maximized in this second role.

18. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Roy Hodgson would be the perfect manager to help Jozy with his main glaring faults: positioning and tactical awareness. Fulham are so structured, so disciplined. Its helped Dempsey and it could really help Jozy's game.

2. Jozy would work well in that system. If he plays with Zamora, then he has more freedom to roam and create. If he plays with Johnson or Gera, he has to play more with his back to goal where he has excelled this season. Or he can pair with Dempsey and those guys can further a partnership that favored so well against Mexico in 2008 and is likely to feature in South Africa this summer.

3. He'll actually get service in a non-anti-football scheme. Hull and Stoke play awful soccer. That's why he plays better with the national team because he is getting help from Davies or Ching, Holden, Dempsey, Bradley, and Donovan. If he goes to Hull, he gets Dempsey, Murphy, Duff, etc.

19. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Tony Pulis is an excellent manager and certainly cant be accused of having unstructured teams.

2) A third season in the prem would see Stoke add to their attacking options and give support to Etherington.

3) They play a style of football that has gotten them to the 10th spot in the League, picking up points in tough spots. As Mick McCarthy says criticism is unwarranted, its got them this far and with another year in the prem they will go from strength to strength.

Really this just boils down to the fact that we are familiar with Fulham and their reputation for getting Yanks in. I still believe Stoke is an excellent fit, Jozy fits their mold exactly, and on top of that its a far more likely than Fulham as well.

20. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree to disagree then. I could see Jozy getting stranded much more at Stoke than he would at Fulham (who have really had a tough time with injuries this season).

21. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I guess I will have to let go of my dream of Jozy to Everton after the World Cup. I still think he could do great in that system and fare better than he has with Hull, but Moyes has his eyes on some other players.

22. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Jozy's situation for next season isn't already decided pre-WC, and I see no reason why it would be, then there'll likely be all sorts of Jozy to Fulham rumors during the silly season. But, IMO, they'll only be resulting from Fulham's reputation as a second home for U.S. players and nothing more.

Fulham could likely only afford him by selling and they don't look to be much of a seller in the market, to me. They'll do their absolute best to hang onto what they have and add a piece or two with the money from the Smalling deal.

They'd likely only take Jozy on as a loan as he's not a proven scorer.....yet. But they already have an unproven Prem goalscorer on loan that is in the same mold as Jozy........Okaka.

I get the reasoning for wanting him there. Hell, I'd love for him to learn from Roy too. But there are other managers out there who are just as likely to improve Jozy and there are definitely better situations with regard to playing time.

Long story short, I agree with you, Fulham are convenient, but Jozy will be somewhere else next term.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    To reiterate what others have been saying, don't let Stoke's table position fool you - that's mostly down to their defense and goalkeeping.

Offensively, they are tied with Hull for goals scored. And I don't believe any of their forwards have scored more than 1 goal from the run of play - if we're not counting throw-in's and goal-kicks.

If the goal is playing time, he'd probably get minutes there. But the service and overall attacking play would be very similar to what you see at Hull.

24. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like good preparation for playing for the USA then - its not exactly like we are playing free flowing Barcelona/Arsenal style football.

As I've said if you give Stoke another year of stability they will only improve their squad. What the team looks like this year will be different then next, especially if they can add a few players like O'Hara, Scharner or maybe an N'Zogbia

25. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

I see what your saying but Liverpool has a shitty academy. Sorry. They've produced pfhuck-all in like the last 8 years. it's like Gerrard, Carragher and nothing. And Kenny Cooper, well, he's just not good enough. I mean i get your point and maybe it would have been different but i think had Kenny Cooper gone to say Burnley instead of United He'd be worse. And Guiseppe Rossi seem to be able to turn a spell in the united Reserves into a starting spot a solid La Liga team and it got him into the Italian national team. It didn't work for kenny but it has for others.

I'm just of the opinion that Playing ANYWHERE is not always better then the reserves of some teams. If it's a good situation great. but i'd rather be in the reserves at barcelona trying to crack the first team then starting at hull. Because Barcelona makes world class players. Hull does not. That's not intended as disrespect to Hull but it's true.

Like i think you said it shouldn't be England or bust. I 100% agree. Americans speak english and see to largely wash mostly the EPL so their seems to be a bias but the English aren't exactly producing players the most versatile players. There aren't a ton of Englishmen playing in Italy, spain etc. And you're right some of these aren't the right choices for our players. Some i think will develop pretty good in MLS cause they have the intellect to learn and the work ethic to work on the right things on their own. Others need to learn the game a specific way. Like i question how much Guzan is improving by playing sparingly. I think he'd be better playing in MLS. By contrast i think if Donovan only played every three games at Everton he may get better cause the pressure their is just so immense it may push him higher. We all saw when he missed that sitter. It take BIG BALLS to smash that volley into the corner in the next game cause everybody and their momma was thinking the same thing as that ball was on it's way to him, some variation of "Oh God please don't miss."

regardless i just hope Jozy picks a good situation where he can learn the craft of being a striker cause i'm not sure Hull gave him the best chance cause of their lack of service or their style. But hey not sure Jozy had better options at the time.