Jozy-first time viewing live.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Bruce S, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I saw Jozy for the first time live last night and watched him very closely. Some observations:
    1. He has very nice skill and pace, and a good nose for the goal. 2 chances, 2 goals, one called back on an off-side.
    2. His work rate is pretty good but not excellent. Angel works a lot harder to get to balls.
    3. He is dominant physically against guys his age, but NOT against pro men. He gave as good as he got, but he does get pushed around a little.
    Still, very impressive but he IS still 17 and presumably will get stronger and harder working. Internationally, he can play but for sure, he will get bounced around at least a little.
    What do you who have seen him more and seen him live think?? Bruce S

2. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think you forgot the most important attribute of them all, his composure.
    He plays like a veteran.

That’s what sets him apart from other young and talented in MLS. The only other MLS player I have ever seen that young and composed is Eddie Gaven, but he is a completely different type of player.

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that is true. He looked completely composed, especially near the goal.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was playing yesterday with a calf injury, which eventually forced him to come off, so he wasnt at 100% last night when you got to see him.

5. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that I'd agree with this, but I only saw him live for 45 minutes. Against DC he was having his way with the United D, physically speaking. I was surprised how big he is in person. He didn't score, but I think that had much to do with United's D.

He is very composed on the ball, and sometimes he tends to try to do just a tad too much. But that's exactly what I'd expect (and want) from someone as young as him.

I'd love to see this guy in the Prem. I think it would suit his game well. Could you imagine him and Torres up top for 'pool??

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am not sure about the Prem. Not the best quality. I would like to see him stay in MLS another year at least.

7. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree. One more year of seasoning would be good for him. Not much more than that.

Any idea when his MLS contract runs out? And whether his Haitian heritage could get him a French work permit (does Haiti fall under the French Commonwealth umbrella)?

8. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I would like to see him stay in MLS until he dominates so much it is not helping him anymore which may not be far away but for now he is in a good situation learning from JPA and more importantly getting playing time which is always a fear of mine when players go overseas.

9. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you're referring to the Prem... what league do you think would suit him best? And also, what league do you think would lend best to his further development? (I'm thinking a league where defenders provide very little space, and close out quickly.)

10. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I think he would be best in Spain.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Most of the Prem play kick and run. Except the big 4. I would rather Spain or Italy.