Jozy and the Footycats: Altidore at Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    As much as he is speending and the squad turnover, I think they are not anticipating a relegation battle and such would be seen as failure. I believe they have their sights set on a top ten finish.

I think Jozy might have something to prove as well, he might be wanting to show them he can play at the highest levels. All these YA's are going to give EPL watchers some tough rooting choices next season.

I am stoked see all these YA's I fear my pure white hart may be torn asunder. I want to bolt on to one team but my allegiances will wander, for I am be Holden to cheer our yanks on.

2. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're ridiculous!

In seriousness, Jozy will have a big year. Shun the non-believer.

3. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. t3oni

t3oni Member

May 9, 2013

I kinda agree with you, Fletcher in some way may not be considered a success. Did anyone notice the trend of players PDC is buying....Physical presence, work rate, fitness, teamwork...IMO i think Jozy will start ahead of Fletcher (maybe just being biased) but i can easily see that happening if they play with one striker.

5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wouldn't be the greatest pickup but i've developed a soft spot for huddlestone. he's probably my favorite slow lumbering playmaker out there.

Celo's Bicycle and Gorky repped this.
  6. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    You know, I was going to post a pronunciation guide for our friends in the UK...

"Say Joe. Then say Z. Joe-Z. That's it."

... but then I realized they'd be trying to call him Joezed.

Winoman, Craig P, Balerion and 1 other person repped this.
  8. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently Dempsey has been put up for sale according to The Time, and Sunderland are keen to potentially sign him? Make of it what you will

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  9. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Would be cool to see them play together but I don't see it happening.

10. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like some American making up a rumor and using the sensationalism of the British media to their full advantage to screw with everyone.

12. Mackemania

Mackemania Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Fletcher was definitely a success. 11 goals in 28 games with zero service in probably the worst, most negative team in the league under O'Neill was a miracle. He's a good all-round player too, good touch, intelligent movement etc. Unfortunately he got injured just before Di Canio took over and hasn't played since, isn't even at the pre-season training camp in Italy AFAIK, so might not be back for the start of the season. In which case, looks like we'll be starting the season with Altidore leading the line.

I'd expect a 4-2-3-1 formation with two holding centre-mids (1 of them may be Huddlestone if you believe the reports) and Giacherrini, Sessegnon and Johnson behind Altidore. When Fletcher gets back we could revert to 4-4-2. There have been rumours that Sessegnon might be going as he's one of our biggest earners (we've been trying to cut the wage bill), personally I'd be gutted if he left as he's our best player when he's on his game and I'd love to see him and Giaccherini linking up - there were rumours linking him with a Chinese club but that seems to have died down so hopefully he'll stay.

I have rarely seen Altidore play tbh, looks like a big powerful striker which is what we have been crying out for. Is he quick? Can he play up-front by himself or is he better in a partnership? Is he two-footed? Any general strengths and weaknesses would be appreciated, as I say I haven't seen much of him since his stint at Hull (the less said about that the better!).

manoa and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. Mackemania

Mackemania Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Also, forgot to mention, that Sunderland were very close to getting Dempsey last summer until Spurs swooped in so you never know, there may be SOME truth in that link.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's strong, good at hold up play, definitely has some quickness, and has tuned into a good finisher over the past couple years... but he hasn't been scoring for his national team because he was a bit isolated until a recent tactical shift. So he needs support, he's not going to be that striker that plays well on an island. When he's got support, he will score. Two-footed isn't a phrase that springs to mind, though. Maybe those that watched him more closely in Holland can comment on that.

I think that attack, if you keep Sessegnon, would be pretty good.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a very strong player, fast for his size, and plays a bit counter-intuitively in that he is better facing goal than with his back to it. He likes to combine and run at defenders. Not to say that he can't do the hold-up in possession thing, but its clear he's better on the run and gun counter attack. Also, although he does score goals with his head, he is perhaps not quite as dominant in the air as you might expect for a player of his strength.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He's a good all around striker who can do well just about everything. Good quickness, good hold-up, good passing, good positioning. As stated before the best Jozy is combining with someone else. However, he is still useful when playing isolated by making movement, using his big body to fight for balls and laying off passes to more withdrawn players. He just won't score nearly as much that way nor do I think that's his best role.

17. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I don't think they were ever very close. They made an offer, but if I recall Dempsey and his team dismissed it fairly fast.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your predicting 13-14 goals, yet 17 goals is ridiculous?

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, but that was a somewhat different situation. Dempsey doesn't have the same kind of leverage he had last year. Assuming he wants to play more, that is. Maybe he's fine sticking it out at Spurs and fighting for minutes, which wouldn't be a huge surprise. But if he wants to play consistently, it's not going to be at a top 6-7 club in England.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you say this with such confidence, a year after he played regularly on a top 5 club? Even if it is true that Spurs put him on the market, that's no guarantee he doesn't get PT next year.

vponce75 and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm assuming that Spurs are buying a few players that will give him less of a chance to play, to be honest. If they really are telling him that he's surplus to requirements, that says it all.

Granted, that might not be true. But I think Spurs are going to spend in order to make a statement to Bale. They seem to want to offload a certain kind of player... maybe Dempsey is in that category, maybe not. We will see.

22. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Jozy in Action (from Sunderland Website)

Tom Collingsworth and Deeneaus repped this.
  23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would say all of this,

He is the kind of striker that defneders probably dread to play. I have heard it said, " he is a handful." As of late he seems to have matured in his game and is beginning to gain some reputation as a hard worker. He really is a headache for a defender and that big old body of his has to waer you down over the course of a game.He is learning how to use his body more like a post up Bball player, as he does he will become even better.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Those stripes in his hair make him look even faster.

25. t3oni

t3oni Member

May 9, 2013
    Sunderland fans are calling themselves Mini City. Cant wait for the new season to start

1. City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Arsenal
    4. Liverpool
    6-7 Sunderland (lol) can only wish