Jozy and Hull vs. Southend (8/25, Carling Cup)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by supercooper, Aug 24, 2009.

1. I think, though I am not sure, that they cannot be registered with more than two teams in any 'transfer' year. Thus I wonder if, since he is registered with Hull this year, he could be sold on to another team. Even if it could happen I doubt it would, but curious nonetheless.

Thanks. They were mostly rhetorical and meant to stimulate conversation rather than be directly addressed (redundant I know).

Interesting for sure. I'm curious because of the buyout clause. Wouldn't Jozy have to agree in principal to the terms of the buyout before hand? Otherwise there would be too many unknowns for a club like Hull. Unless the buyout is simply a right of first refusal, but those usually don't come with a pre-agreed price.

2. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still remember Batistuta's strike for Fiorentina against Arsenal at Wembley several years back in the Champions League. Arsenal was just destroying Fiorentina all match, but somehow it was still 0-0 midway through the second half when Batistuta let go a wonderstrike to steal the match and all the points.

Up until that point in the match, you would have needed to put out an APB on him to see if he was even in England never mind on the field, but damn if he didn't make his presence known and the pivotal moment.

3. Well, I am not a lawyer, but unless Hull agreed to a 'right of first refusal' with no pre-agreed terms (seems unlikely), then Villareal would be obligated to sell him to Hull at the agreed price regardless of any other bids.

I don't know how these loan/purchase deals are usually structured but in the case of Adu, Monaco agreed to a 6m purchase option with his loan. I assume that if a club came in with 7m, then Benfica would have been obligated to sell to Monaco.

In any case, I am sure somebody knows more than me about this, and this thread is probably not best for this kind of discussion so I will take my original post to the general thread tomorrow.

4. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been dead to me for a while.

5. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think a right of first refusal applies in this situation, because that would mean that Hull could simply match any bid for Jozy Altidore that was accepted by Villarreal from another club, rather than a pre-arranged price that was negotiated between Hull City and Villarreal.

6. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Hull have an option to purchase Jozy @ the End of the season loan for set price of approx £6.6m / €7.6m / $10.8m

Villarreal had purchased Jozy from Red Bulls for approx €6.6m and with the exchange rate back in 2008.... it was $10m

Jozy Salary per Season @ Villarreal is €900k, which Hull will cover for this season.

7. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Call me up when you can make that happen.

8. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Isn't it interesting what a player can do when a manager shows confidence in him and gives him the chance to make things happen? If you had to judge only on Jozy's year in Spain, you'd have to conclude he was a pretty lousy player. Clearly that's not true. Instructive in light of poor Freddy Adu's situation.

9. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a city diehard, I would love for him to come to Eastlands... but would he fit??

OF COURSE HE WOULD, HE'D FIT ANY F*CKIN WHERE.. (aside from spain naturally) HE'S THE BEST 19 YEAR IN THE WORLD!!!

JOZY IS THE SPECIAL ONE! LEGEN- wait for it- DARY

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2606602/Hull-3-Southend-1.html

JOZY the starman David Bowie was talkin about

10. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I wouldn't say that for Jozy's entire year in Spain. I think Pellegrini had Jozy in his plan and he did play him. Granted it wasn't for all that much time, but still he did play him. Now if we were talking about his time in Xerez I would say something along those lines.

11. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you knew nothing about Jozy's year in Spain then, sure, it would look like a waste..but if you knew the circumstances...

12. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is a picture of the goal at least if no video arises:

[​IMG]

13. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Congrats to Jozy on a successful debut with his new team. Let's hope he's learned the value of continued hard work and focus and is able to hold onto his starting spot and keep on contributing over the course of the season.

Let's start talking about bigger and better things for Jozy once he's had 15 to 20 games in the EPL under his belt. He's done great and deserves congratulations for that, he doesn't deserve ridiculously high expectations.

As a case lesson, look at Dempsey - he scored the goal that kept Fulham from getting relegated. However, IIRC he didn't get any starting spot until well into the next season. Consistency is what matters at this level, Jozy needs to show that. Not by scoring every game, but by contributing in each and every way he can/should in every game.

14. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

I'm sure he did a little bit inside when he found out he was about to hook up with a tranny.

15. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    After I finish up making a monkey with two butts, I'll get right on creating Freddy Altidore for ya :)

16. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Read some reviews of his performance on the Hull City forum. Couple of them say he struggled and didn't do much outside of the goal.

17. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
  18. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

And the report from the Front Line and on another thread someone said the goal just bobbled in so not a screamer like we had all hoped.

And here as well

http://www.hull.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12333&posts=9

19. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Freddy had more appearances for Monaco last fall than Jozy had for Villarreal. Wouldn't be surprised if he had more minutes too.

20. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    How do you bobble a ball in from 30 yards? Maybe a deflection?

EDIT:
    Sounds like a screamer to me, a different estimate of the distance though:

"A City free-kick 20 yards from goal brought Altidore his first goal for the club. Barmby`s pass was drilled low by the 19 year old, who beat Mildenhall at his near post through the power of his low drive."

http://www.hull.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=167631

21. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI,

Sky Sports report has Altidore as the highest rated player on the field yesterday.

22. boffo

boffo Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Those are the fan ratings, and given that it wasn't televised one wonders how many rating it even saw the match. At one point last evening I checked to see whether Sky had posted its own, and Jozy was the only player with any ratings at all. I would guess more than a few American fans stuffed the ballot box based on the live commentary and wishful thinking. I haven't heard anything to suggest he didn't have a good match, but I would take that 8.7 with a grain of salt.

23. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a video surfaces, it will definitely be in my great new US Soccer video which will be released on September 1st, featuring Altidore, Davies, and Cooper scoring for their new clubs. The music is from YouTube sensation Ronald Jenkees.

24. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
  25. Yougottawanna

Yougottawanna Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah, one article called him "Jose." They just don't know what to do with his first name.

Still waiting for a video.....

So many of his match reports over the past year or so can be summed up with "seemed to tire too early, but scored/assisted." And I think we'll see more evidence of his strength once he shakes off some rust. Then it'll be English football welcome to Jozy Altidore...