Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 3 Jozy is back in Spain, no deals yet

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Tonerl, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Re: Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 2 Jozy is back in Spain, no deals yet

They're also trying to sign Makukula from Benfica.

YA posters will remember Makukula from this episode:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14553848

2. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 2 Jozy is back in Spain, no deals yet

If it's true, I am glad he turned it down (no offense to Turkish League fans). I have said all along that I wanted him to stay and fight it out at VCF. It looks like right now they have 2 b team strikers who I don't know much about, Rossi who is gone if EPL money is offered to VCF and Nilmar. Given the financial troubles of VCF it seems logical that they at least give him a shot to earn some PT. Now if he can do it or not will be up to Jozy...I think he can get on the field with all the games they have this season.

Plus if he plays at VCF I can see some games on GolTV I instead of getting up at odd hours to scour the Internet for obscure websites showing the games...don't let me down Jozy!

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Villarreal plays a friendly against Besiktas on August 8th (this Sunday) so that may be a chance to see Jozy, if he hasn't gone to another team by then.

4. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've seen a number of people on BS express this opinion, and frankly I just don't understand it. Yes, I understand Villareal is a solid club in one of the best leagues in the world and we would love to see Jozy have a chance to develop and play there. However, if the reports we are reading are to be believed (and we have no reason to believe that they aren't) Villareal have been actively listening to offers from clubs who want to take Jozy on loan (and if the Trabzonspor reports are to be believed, have even accepted an offer). What does it say about Villareal's opinion of Jozy (keeping in mind that Villareal is a team with an admitted lack of depth at striker) if they are willing to let him go out on loan this season? Forgive me if I'm not terribly optimistic about the opportunities Jozy will get to contribute if he stays at Villareal this season.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

You aren't paying attention to the facts. The current manager is in charge had positive things to say about Jozy and said that he'd get playing time under him if he were to stay, but that due to finances he might be moving.

This doesn't have much to do with Jozy's talent as much as it does with the fact that the club is in dire straights financially.

Jozy had said how happy he was about who the current manager was because he's worked with him before.

If he stays, he'll get his chances. Of that I am sure.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you but I want Villarreal to make this decision after seeing Jozy in practice. If the coach sees Jozy and after that decides that he's not really useful to Villarreal this season, then sure, they should loan or sell him to where he is wanted. I just don't want this decision to be made from a purely financial standpoint or from outdated opinions of how Jozy plays.

In the real world though, it's likely that Villarreal just want to dump his salary for the year or in the best case, sell him to recoup their fee.

7. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007

I'm kind of disappointed. I think Jozy scoring 20 goals in the Turkish league would have done wonders for him.

8. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago

Jozy is not even likely to be a starter on any of the rumored Turkish teams, so 20 appearances wouldn't even be certain, let alone 20 goals.

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't buy that. Of course the manager had nice things to say about Jozy. What's he going to do, say bad things about Jozy and drive down the value of an asset they are clearly trying to move? Same thing from Jozy's perspective, is he going to say anything but positive things about a manager he may have to work with this season? And if moving him was directly related to financial issues, we'd likely be talking about an outright sale, not a loan (especially in a case like this where Villareal is very thin at striker).

10. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007

Trabzonspor was buying Jozy as a starter. Period.

And who said anything about certainties? I think Jozy is capable of scoring a lot of goals for a good team in an average league. And I think if it happened it would be a beneficial experience for him at this point in his career. Much more so than a loan to Bolton, for example.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Unfortunately, you're moving away from fact towards speculation.

The truth is that he didn't have to say ANYTHING about Jozy. There's no reason to assume the manager is lying about this.

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I hope jozy stays.... dont let your fan-boy'ism of the EPL hurt you again!! Stay in spain, learn castellano, and make the best of a league that suits you and will improve you!!!

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry appoo, your reasoning here is very poor. I would imagine he was asked a question by a reporter about Jozy. What's he going to do, refuse to comment? He's going to say positive things, especially if they are trying to move him. Have you ever been involved in any kind of business negotiation? I have, and let me tell you, parties who are trying to sell an asset always try to put that asset in the best light possible (ie, they never tell the other party that they don't value the asset, don't want it, or in the case of a soccer player, say that they don't intend to play him in the coming season). And given that Jozy has been linked with a loan move to a number of clubs (and reports suggest that there was an agreement in place for him to go to Turkey) it seems clear to me that Jozy is not in their plans for the coming season.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I mean you guys bring up good points, but at the end of the day we dont know if they want to sell him/loan him or keep him?

Appoo is right, they are low on strikers, and he may just stick around cause they cant afford a decent one right now, and would give jozy a try..... on the other hand they could try to get rid of him, and use that money to buy a striker from south america which is always their pattern.

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, if the reports from Turkey re the potential loan are true, it is a fact that Villareal want to loan him out this season. Now at the end of the day Jozy may not agree to the loan (as reports have suggested) and Villareal may not find another suitor willing to take Jozy (or one that Jozy is willing to sign with), but it doesn't change the fact that if the reports from Turkey are true, Villareal want to be rid of Jozy for this season. I find that to be a pretty damning assessment by Villareal of their view of the state of Jozy's game especially when you consider their lack of depth at striker...

16. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX

The only quotes I've seen from Garrido about Jozy are that he's a nice player but might not be able to get first team minutes. Where did he say anything about wages? Also Villareal just got a big transfer fee from Godin, they don't need to loan out first team members. Its just that everyone rates him behind Nilmar, Rossi, and Ruben and they have several guys who can fill into the second forward role.

17. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There were reports that Turkish teams were willing to buy Jozy. The early reason that Ajax left the table was because they only wanted a loan instead of buying him.

You can cherry pick any reports to build your own point.

18. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It seems you understand it perfectly...I agree with most of the posters that have been pointing to the fact that VCF is in a bit of financial turmoil...trying to get a loan or sell Jozy to offload some salary sounds pretty logical for a team that has money problems. VCF are entertaining the possibility of selling Rossi...that certainly doesn't mean that the coach doesn't rate him very high or that the team doesn't find him useful...it means that $19M would be pretty helpful to the club right now...much more than they could get for Jozy...

19. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, we have heard conflicting reports. I'm basing my comments on the most recent report, which is that Villareal had reached a tentative agreement to loan Jozy to Turkey.

20. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Villarreal have serious financial problems...

I would bet that just about any player they have is for sale at the right price... They have to get their wage bill down... And their plans for the coming season will be set based on who they can sell...

Also, what are the loan moves you are talking about?

The only confirmed loan offer I've heard was the one form Ajax which Villa rejected and told Ajax to make a full buy offer on Jozy (no loan would be accepted...)

We'll see if this suspected loan to Transpor holds any merit but I'd be surprised to see Villa reject any/all loan offers from Ajax only to accept one from Transpor...

The fact that Jozy is a sale target has nothing to do with their plans for the season.

It's too early to even try to make that assumption... They need to move more players first and then see what the roster looks likes...

21. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, Jozy and Rossi are two totally different cases. You bet Villareal rate Rossi highly and would love to have him playing for them next season. He's already a proven performer for Villareal (30 some goals in roughly 90 appearances). However, he is also very valuable asset and will likely bring in big dollars if sold.

As for Jozy if reports are to be believed (as I keep saying in my posts because we certainly haven't seen anything from terribly reputable sources) they are willing to loan him out. In that case, they are only getting some salary off the books. And while I'm sure that he is being paid more than Villareal wishes, I can't imagine his salary is that out of whack when compared with the rest of the team. This is not a case like the Jimmy Bullard situation at Hull where you have a player making a wage that probably would place him the top quarter of all Premier League earners (and his team is broke and now in the Championship). In short, it stands to reason that if Villareal really thought he could contribute to them this season, they would keep him around as a known quantity (paying him a bit more than they'd like), rather than take a chance on bringing someone new in (or on a young player).

Is this all supposition? You bet it is, but supposition based on an intelligent assessment of the facts as we know them...

22. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Believe what you want - but they are trying to sell Rossi too...

Here's another intelligent assessment of the situation... They will sell just about anybody they can (for the right price) to avoid going into administration and they'll figure out who is in their 'plans' by the closing of the transfer window and who they have left...

In the meantime, they are getting bids on any number of players and will sell a good number of them most likely before the window closes... some players, that, in a perfect world, they'd probably rather keep.

But their financial situation is far from perfect and they will need to make sacrifices.

23. Hitman No.1

Hitman No.1 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

If a club loans a player out, it's a sure sign that he's way down the pecking order. You don't loan a player out for developmental reasons, because the recipient club does not have the time, incentive or resources. You loan a guy out purely so he can get some minutes if you're sure you won't use him yourself (see Adu-Benfica, Jozy-Villarreal).

By their very nature, loan moves are a 'damning assessment' that either a player is not considered ready or is not good enough for his first team.

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

True,you cant take the fact that Altidore has a price tag on his back right now, as a sign that they dnot want him. All players are for sale almost at this point.

So we'll see.

Personally I hope he stays..... but turkey would be cool too.... but seeing how Jozy had trouble adjusting to Spain cause of the language, and culture I think he is scared of Tureky, as reports came out that he wanted to go see the town and get a 'feel' before he signed.

I think thats the biggest issue there. Personally I wonder if words frmo Adu will help him decide greece (panathinaikos) over turkey? Cause Athens is a place where 90% of the people know english.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Jozy Altidore Offseason Thread 2010: Aug. 1 Trabzonspor terms set, awaiting sig?

There's a prevailing opinion that strikers are like the running backs.

You either got it or you don't.

Most running backs don't get better with age, although there are clearly some exceptions (Thomas Jones) to the rule.

Some strikers, especially those performing in the "target/power forward" type capacity, can take longer to peak as well.

Jozy has spent two years at a level where he ought to be producing something but, since his output over this time frame hasn't justified the VR initial investment, they're trying to shuffle him off down the food chain.

Maybe he can improve to their level at some point.

Maybe he can't.

They got 11 goals from Nilmar, 10 from Rossi, Marco Ruben popped in 17 goals for Villarreal B (in La Segunda).

BTW, Llorente had 9 and was shipped off too. International soccer has more freedom of movement than the US pro leagues. People come and go all the time.