Rumor: Jozy Altidore - New European Interest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mundial, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't get the Jozy mentality criticism. I really don't.

You can accuse him of being to driven by $, I suppose, but if he had skipped Sunderland and gone straight from AZ to an MLS gig? Then we'd have 30 threads on how he was chicken and never tested himself bla, bla...

I mean, we'd all be happier if Jozy were just plain better. But absent that, seriously, has he ever pulled any prima-donna stuff even close to unusual for the average top professional striker?

2. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason he's so divisive is he looks like a world beater against bad to decent teams and an after thought against good teams. He has rarely (outside of maybe the 2009 confed cup, of which his play promised so, so much for USMNT fans) done well in big tournaments or big games against top opposition. But it's clear he has talent and has the tools to succeed, he just hasn't. One great year in the Netherlands and a few great ones in MLS does not make a stellar career and for most long time viewers, given his size, strength, touch, and intelligence, Jozy should've made a few FIFA covers by now. He probably could've and should've done better at Sunderland for a variety of reasons, some his, some his teammate's, some the shitshow that the club has been for years now, but his record is pretty damning and will sadly live long in the memory

Martino2Buddle repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But what part of that is "mentality?" (save making some poor footballing choices for money.)

He's not as good as we hoped. I agree completely. He can get in line, to be honest.

But I don't understand this "mentality" issue. He showed up every day at S'land, despite that place being an obvious mess, played hard, didn't grouse much, even when it's clear it was a disaster from top to bottom...

Anyway, I just don't get it. Wood turns down a transfer to MLS when he's gotten on the field 6 times, I think, in the B2 and he's a "warrior." Jozy fights through terrible Sunderland season, comes to MLS and wins hardware and he's got "mentality" issues... ok. Whatevs.

Winoman, Deeneaus and The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only time I've seen Jozy live was the play-in game for the Confed cup in 2015. It was really hot and balmy, overwhelming Mexican support in Pasadena against a pretty good Mexican team and it was one of the most frustrating performances I've witnessed. Jozy seemed really sluggish, would sooner try to cop a cheap foul than beat a guy and contributed basically nothing, despite being our focal point that day. I agree the Jozy hate is overwrought and probably steeped in things other than his performance on or off the field. It could also be that as a fanbase we've been absolutely starved for good forwards that we're especially harsh on them. I saw Bobby play too a few years ago in Berlin. He too contributed nothing (despite trying hard) and bitched a moaned about it till he got subbed off and his replacement scored the game winner. Go figure.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Which the fans noticed. Normally, when a striker not only fails to be the saviour of the team, but fails to score, period, the fans turn on him en masse. The Sunderland fans didn't. By and large, they recognized that, on the pitch, he his game was a complete missmatch with rest of the team and it was even worse off the pitch. They felt sorry for him, mostly.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Ah so like EJ at Cardiff when everyone cheered when he finally scored.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  7. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I was hanging around the readytogoforums back then and at least there it was not pity, it was disgust, bunch of hate and laughing. His performances were pretty bad but some of the stuff was just vile. Easily could have been different elsewhere but that is not what I observed.

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Fan forums are undedited and even unmoderated and attract the trolls, the haters and, especially, the f-bombers. Fanzines, fan-run websites etc, are more selective and take a little time before posting, which is why I tended to look at those, along with the local newspapers.

I'm not saying I didn't see withering criticism, because I did and plenty of it, but they didn't single him out any/much more than the rest of the team and there was also a recognition that his struggles had deeper origins than a lack of ability or a bad attitude: that was one where others - the others, actually - got real hatred.

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Look man, your the one crying like a little girl over jozy criticism. I just recently defended Jozy in another thread big-time.

My problem is, those who cry for players who choose the easy path with extra support over the harder path and then the fan base wants them to do more. (there is nothing wrong with that).

Your also the one who brought in MB90 into a Jozy YA thread...…...first. To beg for everyone to stop criticizing him along with Jozy.

Do you have a personal connection to these players?

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lol. You been inside too long, bruh?

I'm sorry you didn't *aktually* know what Wood's year looked like.

But it's ok. We won't hold it against you too long.

It is kinda funny you've gone from swinging by this thread to take potshots at Jozy to swinging by to make potshots at me. But I gotta go, my mascara is running and Taylor Swift is doing a live zoom concert!

The Irish Rover repped this.
  11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Who is we?, Jozy and Michael Bradley?

12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    [​IMG]

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You can call me Queen B, Bruh.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some potential new interest on the cusp of the transfer window closing:

15. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure he can get off the plane without straining a hamstring, but good luck to him.

adi21, Android Cat, m vann and 4 others repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll undoubtedly be heading to Hammarby where Aron Johannsson's experience has shown they know how to keep an old American sports car running, regardless of its problems.

adam tash, butters59, m vann and 2 others repped this.
  17. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Jozy's grossly overpaid but damn the club if they keep paying him 6 million a year to play in half the matches he's available for. Would be interesting to see him in Liga MX.

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I know we all respect Jozy’s career contributions, et all, and I think he takes too much of the blame for Couva...

But it’s funny that he got a minor injury to hold him out of a game because he had a falling out with his club and needs to go sign with a new team. Seems like an evergreen scenario.

taylor repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just hope he gets the Volvo engineers and not the Saab engineers. :D

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cruz Azul was interested earlier this year:

23. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely needs a change of scenery. I think he would do well in Mexico

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nobody in 2021 is going to pay Jozy Altidore anywhere close to $6 million to play soccer.

Makes me thing about MLS circa 2014. I hated how some clubs just started paying Americans stupid money to come back to or never leave MLS.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.