Rumor: Jozy Altidore - New European Interest

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mundial, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Jozy makes like $5-6 million in MLS. He wouldn't top $1.5 million in the Netherlands. It's not gonna happen.

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ajax could pay more, maybe up to $3-4 million, but they've already got Dusan Tadic who's a) the same age, b) is a former a Ballon d'Or nominee, and c) was on was about 3.5 million before his contract extension. Why would they pay Jozy more when they already have a more accomplished player on less? Maybe Feyenoord and PSV could stretch it, but it'd stretch their budgets and leave them thin in other areas of the field. If things go badly, the fans could turn on him - which didn't happen at Sunderland. Why would Jozy do it?

Maybe Toronto are overpaying him, but they signed him (and Bradley and Giovinco) to make a statement of intent to Toronto's sporting public. They succeeded. And Jozy went from a very well-paid contract at a club whose, ahem, "football" didn't suit him to the same contract at a club whose football does and where he wins silverware. Which is another way of saying that he succeeded too.

Right now, he's on Leverkusen-Gladbach-Schalke money. If he wants to try Europe again, he'll have to take a 50-60% paycut and hope that Toronto will let him go for about $2 million, in order to sign for the likes of Koln or Hertha. And for what?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wouldn't top $500,000 in the Netherlands.

4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Ajax being able to do more and be willing to do more are two different things. I stand by my original assessment. At the figures your suggesting he would be the highest paid player in the Netherlands or close there to. Very few approach that territory. This iteration or probably any iteration of Jozy Altidore wouldn’t. My figures are much more reasonable as to what someone might be willing to actually pay. Though I’ve probably gone a bit too high.

@feyenoordsoccerfan would know better but I believe making more then a $1 million is pretty rare even at the CL clubs in Holland these days.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Thats close to the minimum a non-eu player has to be paid which is about $427,000.

I think your assessments a bit harsh.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Actually, the figure is 436K and it's in Euros, which works out at $470k per season. Since Jozy has already been a proven quantity in the Eredivisie and there's no reason to believe that he's regressed since leaving there, you're right that $500k is harsh. Far too harsh IMO.

As you said, while the big teams in Holland could pay Jozy over $1.5 a season, they're extremely unlikely to. Even when Ajax paid Southampton 11.5 million (up to 13.5 with add-ons) for Tadic, which was a real shock since he was turning 29 that November, they could have expected to recoup a decent chunk of that fee if things didn't work out. Jozy is 31 in November, so a Dutch side won't have that with him.

Unless Jozy is willing to take a major pay cut, he's staying where he is and this is academic

7. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #232 KALM, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    I figure the only way Altidore is ever returning to Europe at this point is through one of those two-month off-season loan spells that MLS sometimes allows for its DP's that never turn into a permanent transfer (Donovan, Keane, Dempsey, Ridgewell, Henry, Beckham -- McBride had a couple of those back in the day as well).

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Some folks are harsh, some are dumb, some are drunks, some are trolls.

We get all kinds.

9. At Feyenoord you have to be one of the aces in the team, we're the shabby ones in the top 3. PSV and Ajax have a big number of over a million. It's also the reason why non EU players are disappearing behind the horizon for the non top 3 teams, as the salaries Ajax and PSV now are paying kicked the average Eredivisie salary up to a level only the top 3 can afford, and maybe AZ and Twente.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    who are the highest earners in the Eredivisie?

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt we'll see one of those. More recently LAFC reportedly turned down Barcelona for a short term Vela loan. I think the league is less concerned about placating DPs in this manner like they have in the past. Plus Dempsey had one loan move built into his contract when he first signed for Seattle. I rather doubt Altidore has something similar since he signed a new deal last year and appeared to be completely content with Toronto.

12. Tadic, Blind, Zyech, van de Beek, Neres

13. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Oh come on, your post reeks of desperation and fake victimization.

Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley choose security over performance. (that was their choice).

Crying for them is very similar to the USWNT crying over their contract of security over performance (that they choose.)

Both players walked and panted in one of our most important games ( a game that decided if we go to 2018 World Cup).

Bobby Wood has been a fighter his entire career and was told he would never play soccer again with his knee, he proved everybody wrong and scored some fantastic goals in the Bundesliga and for the USMNT thereafter.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You high bruh?

I'm a big Bobby Wood fan, but if you want to talk about choosing security over performance, Bobby's last season is the poster boy.

Again, more folks coming all the way to a thread about non-existent Euro rumors about Jozy cause they want to take a swing.

It's pathological and pathetic.

15. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    How? hes fighting for time on a team that could earn back promotion to the Bundesliga. He earned his contract.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "fighting for time."

They've told him, to his face and publicly many times they want to move him. The told everyone publicly he ain't playing no more this year (pre Covid.)

Again, I like Bobby, but by your metric, he's the picture in the dictionary.

Do you even lift, bruh?

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood would have a great time in MLS.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Doubtful

Highly doubtful

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wood's got a busted knee. After his contract is done, I wouldn't be too surprised if he retired right away.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think, sadly, this is the most likely reality (the knee) but I also think it's probably on-again/off-again enough that Wood will take another kick at the can someplace.

DC United is most recent rumor, but who knows.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    can't blame him for taking the $$$ The club massively overpaid him in wages. Maybe he's finally healthy enough to prove himself. He's still only 27.

22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    LOL. Wow. A true fighter with one knee vs spoiled pampered MLS princesses.

You must have worked for Jay in the Chicago club house.

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Bobby Wood could totally kick Johnny Cage's ass.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Did Jozy steal your girlfriend or something?

You're a strange dude who has, once again, come all the way to a thread about non-existent Jozy rumors to take an anonymous pot shot, while Wood sits - not even on the bench, refuses a transfer and collects his $.

Again, I'm a Wood fan, but this attitude is pathetic and pathological. Just a weird compunction, and the fact you don't even know what Wood's season has been like for him speaks volumes.

25. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can all agree a player with Wood's mentality and Jozy's ability (and someone else entirely's durability) and you have a hell of a player