Josip Simunic banned from World Cup

Discussion in 'Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon' started by PanchoM, Dec 16, 2013.

1. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    Because of Nazi chants ? There's still people like that ?

2. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Smh serves him right I suppose.

3. Scythian

Scythian Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that chanting is much older than nazis. It apparently belonged to 16th century Croatia. Ustashe (Croatian fascists) misused the slogan.

Waliatiger repped this.
  4. Claudio

Claudio New Member

May 3, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is unfortunate for Croatia as he is a key player. Not sure if it he had racist intentions but if he did it is well deserved for there is no room for that in the beautiful game.

5. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    He got what he deserved.Too bad it's coming from a seasoned player like him...

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Based on the footage of the incident, it didn't seem too racist to me. For the country/motherland? What's wrong with that? The Germans' anthem is the same that was used during the Third Reich (the music at least - it's the 3rd stanza from the piece utilized by the Nazis, and the final line is "Blühe, Deutsches Vaterland!," which means "Flourish, German Fatherland!"). Yet the only time anybody mentions Nazis when Germany plays are silly fans who wear or display the swastika (I saw pictures of that in Mexico in 1986 and in Korea in 2002).

Japan still uses the exact same anthem used by the Empire of Japan during the Second World War, and oftentimes its fans fly the Rising Sun flag (the version of the flag w/ the sun on the corner and red sunburst lines, which many Asians compare to the Nazi flag due to Japanese militarism). Fans often lift up their arms and shout "Banzai!" which Japanese troops did during the war. Anybody banning Japanese fans?

I am aware of the cruelty of the Ustasha, which horrified even some Nazis who were there in Yugoslavia during the early-mid 1940s. But this greeting didn't seem racist at all. And if we're going to be like this, I only hope that UEFA and FIFA fine Ukrainian players if any of them start making gestures in honor of Stepan Bandera, a Ukrainian nationalist who fought against the Soviet Union and was supposedly a collaborator with the Nazis during the German invasion of the USSR.

7. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    It has nothing to do with racism but politics. FIFA is a money hungry mafija which I think most people realize now.

8. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What

9. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    He is not our key player, his best days are now history. Better that he isn't going, he's been awful in Dinamo through last season.

Waliatiger repped this.
  10. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Think the same, we had a good defense against spain and italia at euro '12 and as i remember, simunic wasn't on the pitch.

Waliatiger repped this.