Joshua "Josh" Gatt at Dundalk F.C. (Ireland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by trekker, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that strikes me about all of these is that none of them were tap ins. Every one of them had some element of skill that was involved and I really wouldn't consider any of them "lucky" goals. I'm not ready to jump aboard the hype train, but this kid could be legit. He's got good size too, which could be nice on set pieces, although none of these goals would indicate he is good in the air.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    His size is pretty average, really.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he's reminiscent of Marko Marin in size and style. If he could be anywhere near that good, the U.S. would have a difference maker on their hands, and a fun player to watch to boot.

Gatt first-touch volleying a long aerial switch right into a teammate's path for a scoring opportunity - was as impressive as the goal. That was some high level skill and awareness.

In general I've been very surprised by the level of skill and football I.Q. displayed in the Tippeligaen. They're 1-2 levels sharper than MLS. So for Gatt to be the youngest regular on the top team in the league, and furthermore a standout, says something about him.

The US are in good shape for width between Gatt, Shea, Lichaj, and Chandler.

4. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    - in the Austrian's clip with his hair grown out, he looks a lot like Ole :)

- next phase will be to replicate beating guys, but in tighter spaces
    (more ziggy-zag) and develop things like a shot with his left foot. Also
    keep improving his passing games at all levels (short, medium, long)

Obviously, he's dangerous as hell in the open field. He's got that down.
    Time to add to his game. Going to be fun to watch in the coming years.

He's about Landon's size. He would be awesome if he's equally as durable.

5. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you're right. I was thinking in terms of the people who he would potentially be competing with in a USMNT setup (I know wrong forum). According to US Soccer, he is bigger than Donovan, Adu, Beasley, Gyau, Feilhaber, Bedoya, Davies, Findley, Holden, Torres and others.

He is the same exact size as Robbie Rogers.

6. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man this guy looks like the replacement for Donovan. He looks like a real player...You guys are getting me excited about our future. :)

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is nothing like Landon..he is a pure winger.

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second this. Donovan began as a forward and morphed into a playmaking midfielder for the US.

Gatt is much more in the mold of the modern winger, like Ronaldo, Messi, Ribery, Robben, Nani, etc.

9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next phase is for him to react to defenders that have observed he always cuts to his right. As you say, a left foot (or at least a move to the left) will be important.

That double 'meg goal has to be the best.

10. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That scores goals....Pure wingers don't score goals. Pure wingers are guys like DeMarcus Beasley.

11. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    In the modern sense wingers are goal scorers. If you go with the more traditional term, he is definitely not a "pure winger". With the 4-4-2 dying out, the days of a wing hugging the line and whipping in crosses is dying out for the time being.

12. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    People need to stop putting players in boxes.

13. ElPeco

ElPeco New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Molde FK
    Molde played Rosenborg away tonight, and lost 3-1. :(

Gatt played the entire match on the right wing position, and played a good game. Especially the first half was good. He was close getting assists and even another goal. In the second half he was more anonymous, in a game Molde sadly, deserved to lose.

Personally I rate Gatts performance among the best on the Molde team, along with Hoseth and Chima.

14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently you don't consider Ronaldo, Messi, Ribery, Robben and Nani to be wingers, even though everyone else does?

15. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Messi and Ronaldo used to be, but Messi is in the middle now. I doubt Ronaldo can be considered a winger now either, not like he was at Man Utd.

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    HAHAHAHA

the only person who comes close to a real winger on that list is Ribery, and thats because he doesnt cut in as much as the other.

Cronaldo is a forward now, and Messi's position is central forward

Nani can cross, but he doesnt and cuts inside more than hugs the line

and Robben plays on the wrong side because he doesnt play as a true winger.

None of those guys are Marc Overmars in style

17. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for your condescension.

Alright, just because YOU don't consider them wingers, doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't. ALL of them are very much wingers in the modern sense.

Yes, NOW. What about 2 years ago? They were wingers and scored plenty of goals.

Okay? Still a winger.

Why don't you browse the interwebs and see if others consider him a winger.

sigh

18. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say Nani, Robben and Ribery are definitely wingers

19. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    G Bale

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the only name that has been mentioned that is actually a winger

no worries, when I read stuff like that I have to chortle

the rest of the world thinks Brazil still plays beautiful football, they havent since the 90s. So lets just keep this between us

Cronaldo hasnt been a winger since the 2006/7 season. Since then he has been an auxiliary forward or inside forward. Watch a match, its often him waiting in the penalty area for a cross. Or him running from the center of the field to score. He hasnt been a winger in years.

the truth about Cronaldo is that his actual game has regressed over the last few years. BUt since he is scoring goals, no one notices
    nah, Valencia is a winger. Nani plays more of the role Cronaldo played at United his last two years there.

Id rather sit here and have this conversation with people who actually watch these players play the game. Not what "others on the interwebs" say.

hang on, I am supposed to be the condescending one!

And I dont make the argument that wingers dont score goals, thats stupid and wrong too. But the names you selected arent what you classify as winger if you watch them play.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, agree to disagree.

The original point was that he does not play like donovan at all.

22. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You people are arguing over who is a winger and who isn't in a Josh Gatt YA thread? Seriously? Must we clarify now if we are speaking about traditional wingers or modern wingers?

Back to more important things like Josh Gatt's favorite food. Chicken Wingers!

23. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, its clearly Buffalo wings:p

24. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had not seen Gatt play at all until the most recent game winner, and I was very impressed.

The video (rep) impressed me more. Like had been said before, I love seeing more players coming up that are fearless. Obviously he will have to add nuance to his game, but that's why they say a player's prime isn't until the 27 year range, right?

Also, I second the excitement about our young wide up and comers, Shea, Gyau, Gatt, Chandler.

Keep that fire and killer instinct, Josh.

25. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States