Joshua "Josh" Gatt at Dundalk F.C. (Ireland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by trekker, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gatt is on the bench for Minnesota tonight against Portland.

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #endofthread

Gacm32, Rahbiefowlah, wixson7 and 2 others repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so what does that make 2/3 titles while with Molde? and several Europa League games?

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's official. Inbox:

Today Minnesota United announced the signing of 25-year-old winger Josh Gatt.

“I’ve played my whole career as a pro in Europe,” said Gatt. “To come back home, it’s a nice revamp. It’s nice to be able to do what I love in a setting I’ve grown up in. Playing overseas is different in every way. Playing here, there’s a simplicity to it. Knowing what I know about the states: language, culture, geography … It’s not hard to adapt.”

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i just hate when people refer to the USA as "the states".

Up there with annoyance when people state "Africa". Which place in Africa?

7. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    How do you feel about Europe? Asia? Micronesia? Either of the poles or the Americas?

KicksNgiggles, Gacm32, kba4life1 and 3 others repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    you know what I mean. rather than saying Ghana or Nigeria or Burkina Faso it's easy to lump them all as Africa. As opposed to folks who know Egypt and South Africa. Reasoning of course.

Though I mean why say "the states". You know damn sure the French want to be identified as French or France rather than simply "Europe"

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the issue. I'll always remember John Brook's game winning header against Africa with fondness, though getting knocked out in extra time by Europe a few weeks later was a bummer.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the 40 or so different countries in europe are TOTALLY different countries. minnesota and michigan, not so much....the regional differences in the states are real but all 50 states have much more common ground than actual different countries in europe or africa do....language and culture is pretty mono across the states.

RalleeMonkey and Kagler24 repped this.
  11. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Something the EU seemingly fails to understand.

12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    This is a very interesting question and I could go off topic for hours discussing it. Instead I will just say there are often more differences in dialect between Northern and Southern England (or pre-TV, the US) than between Swedish - Danish - Norwegian or Serbian - Croatian, to name a few examples. Some polities in Europe are based on geography; some on religion; some on past kingdoms, empires, fiefdoms, etc., and some, occasionally, on language. What are the defining characteristics that separate San Marino from Italy? Monaco from France? Lichtenstein from wherever?

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That they're tax havens??;)

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the EU has had an effect on similarities across Europe especially the Western portion. Not to mention the effect US culture has had on creating a very monolithic Europe of today.

15. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. People seem to forget that the US fought a very long war with itself just a few generations ago.

16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    By a great force of will, I have been able to avoid prolonging this fascinating, but OT, discussion. I am not sure I will be able to last the day. heeeelp meeeeeeeeee.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    my apologies.

I'm happy for Gatt. He def continues the whole association with Vikings.

Though i wonder why Minnesota isn't paying some kinda attention to its roots as a place of Scandinavians. Could hav gone after some decent Scandinavian talent for cheap.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    No worries. I love these types of discussions but once I get started, watch out!

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I guess this thread will die out eventually, but in addition to sharing this article, figured I would highlight a particular passage as the league moves toward the regular season:

He’s the fastest player on the field, and the most dogged. Any pass back to a central defender sees that man closed out in seconds. The speed that made Gatt one of the U.S.’ most intriguing prospects ahead of his 2012 international debut is still there. If anything, Gatt notes, that athleticism has become more dangerous after what he’s been through.

“I haven’t lost anything that people might have thought I had, with surgeries,” Gatt explains.​

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...t-now-josh-gatt-mls-usmnt#dxOW4OwC92zpEQQT.99

Here by the way is some old highlight video:

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I studied in Ghana and it's super annoying when people say they've been to "Africa". It's almost always South Africa. I always just say Ghana and look at them like, Yea I know you don't know where that is.

On the flip side, I can always immediately connect with anyone from Liberia all the way down through Nigeria. It's awesome. I will spend any amount of time during any day talking with somebody from West Africa.

And of course the irony of your pet peeve of "the states" is that when we say "America" it gets a bunch of Latin Americans bothered. Gotta say Estados Unidos or Unidense.

21. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude scored some insane goals when he first went overseas. Hope he can do that again.

chalaron and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So true good sir

23. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Americans also like to refer to folks from the Caribbean as being from "The Islands"

24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Are those the same ones who pay $150 to sit and watch hula dancers at a luau in Waikiki? I know those ones. They miss out on a lot of fun and they pay for some mortgages.

That to say, I like islands. But I kinda wanna crack my own coconuts.

25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Also, call an Irishman "European" and see what he does.

#endofthread