Joshua "Josh" Gatt at Dundalk F.C. (Ireland)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by trekker, Jan 29, 2010.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't know the Top Tier college soccer all that well but how many pro prospects would each roster contain?

From the look of things, a club like Altach has a few young prospects, who may or may not pan out into something beyond the Austrian B-liga, and a few veterans who will bounce between A/B-liga and its 2nd Division, making somewhere around $150K either way.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's hard to say because it's kind of a moving target, but it wouldn't be weird for a top program to have half a dozen guys on it who will legitimately hang in MLS.

3. thewizard

thewizard New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha yeah, a little slower and a not quite as much as an "ankle breaker" as Cruyff but nice nonetheless. Not too shabby on the first assist either. At his angle it was smart to lay the ball off instead of trying to round the keeper or lift the ball over the keeper as the GK was literally at Gatt's feet. It sounds like the kid is settling down and is now on quite a little roll. It may be the Austrian 2nd Bundesliga but still a nice comfortable level for an 18 yr. old breaking into the professional ranks.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If they're in Austrian D2, the veterans will be on more like €80k, breaking €100k if their team has real promotion aspirations. Austrian D2 is somewhere on the same level as League of Ireland, not a lot of $/€/£.

7. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Alright, you've come in in every thread that discusses Gatt and pounced on anyone who even begins to consider how we should factor in the quality of his opposition with the quality of his play.

We all hope your son is well, but nobody is trying to insult him. People are just having conversations. I'd suggest leaving these boards alone if you are going to get offended by discussions that don't even come close to insulting him.

If he ever becomes more visible it will get a lot worse...

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    he just lost the ball in traffic, then turned around to get it.

I think his run to get into the position to do something was more impressive.

€100K is ~ $138K and Altach is in 2nd place.

I think I was/am in the ballpark.

More or less.

Altach seems to have a lot of young players too and I assume most of them have higher aspirations.

I heard the announcer scream on the second goal, "Jungstar!"... and he wasn't screaming about Joshua Gatt either.

So, on the general talent level, it's probably a toss up but a top ten NCAA team might have a potential star here and there (a Dempsey or an Edu) whereas Altach may have a few Chad Barretts.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Nonsense. Try to give some credit where it's due.

10. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orhan Ademi (Macedonia) scored both of those Altach goals and now has nine total, tied for third in the Erste Liga. He's two months younger than Gatt and turns 19 today.

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, it was a good run on the second goal... but it was also a nice improvisational play.

Nice quick thinking on the pullback -- to go with some poor defense. (He was double-teamed, but the inside guy laid off too much and the outside guy fell for the fake, which left the goalscorer open.)

And the pass to the striker was well done, especially since he didn't have his feet -- proper weight and in front of the target so it could be one-timed.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    From the video, it looked like he had the ball poked away but then managed to lay it off to ...

... this guy.

On Gatt's goal from last week, he also took a few touches before shooting.

At some point, he'll discover that one-timing it from within the penalty box works best under most circumstances.

13. RonaldD

RonaldD Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Gatt played the full 90 in Altach's 2-1 win over FC Lustenau. Gained a valuable 2 points on first place Admira.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Altach 2-1 FC Lustenau

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4tKXelb8dM"]YouTube - Erste Liga - 17. Spieltag: Altach - FC Lustenau 2:1[/ame]

15. RonaldD

RonaldD Member

Jun 16, 2010
  16. thewizard

thewizard New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. mikem

mikem New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    atlanta
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Josh! Glad to hear about more Americans breaking into Europe!

18. RonaldD

RonaldD Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Looks like Joshua Gatt played the full 90 again today and got the game winner. Nicely done!

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid's put together a nice string of games. I'm hoping it's a testament to his hard work and maturation. Putting aside it's the Austrian 2nd division, Josh has left his comfort zone and seemingly transitioned quickly into a new country and the everyday grind of being a professional. I couldn't be happier for Josh. He's definitely been a big surprise during the YA season. I'm hoping Rongen is watching and his form parlays into a U-20 WC spot.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  21. RonaldD

RonaldD Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Gatt goes the full 90 in match for first place against Admira and scores again, the 4th goal, to bring Altach to the top of the table! This young man is making the most of his opportunity.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet!! Gatt is one of the biggest surprises of the YA Season. His form is key factor is his club's recent success. A huge boast to his confidence. There's no better way to cement your place in the lineup than scoring goals.

23. thewizard

thewizard New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Wow! Only one more goal to reach the same amount scored by Jaqua for Altach.