Josh Cohen at Maccabi Haifa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I want a mansion on the French riviera.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    When you're facing 3 of the best players of the last decade, he's lucky it wasn't 20 goals conceded. I think he's done far well to get cred for moving to a bigger league.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah yeah sure....was just thinking about a recent poster who said Cohen is clearly the best American GK....

while I think he has done well and deserves a lot of credit...not sure I can go that far yet

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts in UCL:

Daniel Karell
    @DanielKarell

Maccabi Haifa’s Starting XI vs. Benfica at the Sammy Ofer Stadium. Cohen Meir, Seck, Goldberg, Cornut Lavi, Muhammad, Abu Fani Chery, David, Pierrot

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Saved 4, let 6 in. They're just not built for the Champions.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Any surprise?

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won the league again:

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Any chance he might be considering a move to a larger European league?

10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said earlier, he needs to chase the $$$

Let’s face it, he didn’t make any money in USL. He probably didn’t make much in his initial deal at Haifa. He’s probably been doing well for the last 2 seasons in terms of salary.

But he’s over 30 and has probably only been making decent money for 2 seasons. His next deal is likely his last prime age deal. He needs to take the highest bidder - whether that be with Haifa, in Europe, MLS, or Asia, he needs to get paid.

He’s beyond the point where he’s hoping his next deal leads to another bigger deal later. It’s about the $$ now.

Seems simple enough

11. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club is preparing for him to potentially leave and is actually looking in the US to see if there are any quality Jewish goalkeepers.

A few years ago, they brought in Joe Kuzminsky but he didn’t manage many minutes.

12. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Think everyone gets what you’re saying, but it’s not necessarily only about the money. Obviously every player (and person, really) will have different sets of values and weights to them when making their career decisions. Money is certainly one part of it, maybe the most important thing for many, but it’s not going to be everything for everyone even as they age.

Just as this could be his best financial opportunity, this could also be his best opportunity to play at certain clubs or in certain leagues/countries that he’d like to have the chance to do.

Maybe he has personal goals/preferences for himself that aren’t financially related, and pursuing those are more important to him than the money. Or maybe not.

Or maybe if it comes down to a significant financial difference he’ll follow the money, but if it’s (relatively) not that big of difference to him, maybe he doesn’t mind it as much. Maybe he’s made good personal investments that negate some of the money factor, has a nice personal situation, or values money less overall that make it less of a factor for him personally. Or again, maybe not and he really does need every single penny possible. These are factors that vary individually.

Overall, if he wants to play for X team but Y team offers him a bit more money, I don’t think it’s a stretch for a player to choose to a play at a club/league/country more appealing to them while they have the chance.

Hopefully whatever his preferred option is apart from the money also offers the most money, though surely he’s going to weigh a whole bunch of factors when making his decision.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Could he get a shot in MLS or in a mid level European league like Greece or Austria or Denmark, i do wonder?

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    A few years ago Matt Turner was available.

MHaifa1913 repped this.
  15. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see them bringing Zac MacMath in for a trial. I actually told a friend that they should be looking at Daniel Edelman from Metro. But once he cracked the first team, they actually realized that he'll never come over to them.

So what's left in the US for Haifa?
    • Daniel Steres - Gives the backline some depth
    • Taylor Davila - Not good enough to crack the lineup
    • Guy Michaeli - Israeli but hasn't even cracked Sporting KC first team
    • Jake Rozhansky - Didn't crack it in the lower divisions
    They are also rumored to be about to break the bank on French Jew Laurent Abergel. If only they could get the Italian Jew Andrea Petagna and a loan for Turner. We'd have a good shot of getting back into the Group Stages then.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s not in the US currently, but there’s Ben Lederman.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Aim higher, Yedlin is Jewish.

18. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too expensive. Isn’t he on DP money?

Ben’s reputation in Israel was shot when he trialed at Beitar Jerusalem and couldn’t get a deal and wound up in the second division before moving on to Poland. But I would add that Lederman is one of many who didn’t cut it as a youth over there and then went on to much bigger things. Great example is Adrien Silva who joined Haifa along with American-Israeli-Portuguese youth prospect, Alex Zahavi.

19. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Alex Zahavi the next great hope

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Let me get this straight, you're saying a guy called Zac MacMath is Jewish????

LouisianaViking07/09 and MHaifa1913 repped this.
  21. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cohen is on the verge of signing a one year extension. Club has also signed Erik Shuranov, a Nürnberg product who apparently qualifies for an Israeli passport thanks to his Jewish roots.

Which then prompted me to check-in on how Bryang Kayo is doing at Nürnberg II. The YA rabbit hole.

22. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still no movement on his agreement with Haifa, but he did score his first call-up.

23. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maccabi Haifa is rumored to be signing ex-Chelsea man and recent Hull City loanee, Nathan Baxter. Baxter, of course, has Jewish roots. Looks to be a decent replacement which would indicate an exit for Cohen.

25. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Do you know why this is happening? Seemed like the club and player both had a good season - is this the spot they felt they need to upgrade? Are his pay expectations higher than they want to meet?