Alert: Joseph takes indefinite leave of absence

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by johnh00, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    I wonder if this will hurt attendance even more. I don't have season tickets, and I'm not too motivated to go watch this sad team.

2. TheStatsGuy

TheStatsGuy Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Somewhere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why we F***ing drink!

Good luck Shalrie - hope everything turns out well and your back soon. Look out Toronto and DC we are on our way down, down to brown bag town.

1 person likes this.
  3. neophilus

neophilus Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Methuen, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing Shalrie and Larentowicz is going to cripple this team for the rest of the season and we have no one that can replace them.

4. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that puts you in the category of casual fan, Ann. ;)

5. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    It's pretty sad that this team has turned me into one after 11 years as a season ticket holder.

6. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

8. FLSoccerGran

FLSoccerGran BigSoccer Supporter

Liverpool
    United States
    Feb 2, 2005
    Poinciana, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very sad news - I love to watch Shalrie play and wish him a speedy return!

9. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason people are speculating is because they're looking for an indication of when he might be back. It's as simple as that, no? It's not just prurience.

10. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that brown bag, is it ok if I slip in a bottle of Medoc or a fine tawny Cintra? Or is it straight to Mad Dog Ville? :D

Okey doke, without Shalrie we really are the fan now about to get hit by the sh*t. The Gods are out to get us, komrads.

11. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right. The most painful word in the whole announcement was "indefinitely"...... let's hope it does not come to mean for Shalrie what "concussion" has come to mean for Taylor.

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    we're doomed I tell you...Doooooomed........Twellman and Shalrie will never make it back...Doomed!!!!

I got a beer for the first person that knows this guy's name, the cartoon and the show he was on without using google

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joseph taking indefinite leave

By Frank Dell’Apa

“It’s a completely personal matter, non soccer-related,’’ Burns said yesterday. “He asked for some time on a personal matter and it was granted, and it would be speculation to say how long he will be gone.’’

Ron Waxman, Joseph’s agent, confirmed the absence is not related to contract or injury issues. The team captain has missed four games with a hip flexor strain.

The Revolution will not be able to replace Joseph on the roster because of the indefinite nature of the absence.

“It’s a little difficult because this just came about,’’ Burns said. “The [transfer] window has closed and it’s not going to be reopened. Teams get no roster relief on a personal matter, so it’s difficult. If there were a definite time frame on it — but we’re getting into hypotheticals — if there were an extended period of time, more than six games, we could get roster relief but not [salary] cap relief.

“Our hands are tied on replacing the roster spot. He’s a key guy for us, no doubt. On the field, he’s a leader and a very important player for the team. But we can’t dwell on the fact we don’t have him. Guys are going to have to step up until he gets back. We have guys who are getting the opportunity to play who otherwise would not have that opportunity.’’

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure I believe him. I can't for the life of me understand why they would not be beating the bushes looking for a player that might be out of contract or someone from within MLS. Is MLS set up that a player can not be waived to make room for someone else. Are they afraid they will hurt Vidiera's feeling if they cut him loose? Frankly the guy would be better off starting for Harrisburg than riding the pine in NE. Honestly, after the way they have been playing, they should have been looking for help 3 weeks ago.

15. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Danny Szetela? Is he still on trial with the Union?

17. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you are looking for. Gulliver of gulliver's travels

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The character's name was Glum, from Gulliver's Travels. No, I didn't google it, I watched The Banana Splits when I was a kid.

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet somehow, the FO is expected to have another $1M worth of players sitting on the bench in case these 3 can't play.

22. TheMightyRevs

TheMightyRevs Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Ma
    Yet we should ask no questions or just hope them a speedy recovery!!

Yay!!

:D!

I think I'm going to go into work tomorrow and tell my boss I have some personal problems, and I just don't know when I'll be back.

23. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    To your point, if you are or were a corporate manager you wouldn't allow rampant public speculation in your workplace either. People are free to wonder all they want but they should keep it to themselves. All they need to know is that someone has personal, private matters to attend they're doing so with the company or organization's blessing.

24. TheMightyRevs

TheMightyRevs Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Ma
    Yeah, in a perfect world/business place.

Far from it.

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Any normal human being at their job is different than a public figure. Anytime a celebrity, athlete, politician, or even famous businessman is on a "personal leave" there is going to be speculation, plain and simple. It sucks, but that's the cost of being famous. You can be as moral as you want, but people are going to speculate, and I think they have every right to. And if anything this is the place to do it, a public forum.