Joseph Ngwenya

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by DanielHSV, Nov 29, 2004.

1. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi guys!

Could you tell me something about Joseph Ngwenya?
    I just read that he'll be in a Hamburg for a couple of days to participate in training. what kind of player is he (striker, i already figured that out ;)) and do you think that he is good enough to make it into a Bundesliga team roster?

Thx in advance!

2. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Daniel,
    I'll do my best.

Joseph Ngwenya is a nice, athletic go-forward type of player. He likes to drive right at the defender with the ball, sometimes to his own detriment (has a tendency to not look up quickly enough). Ngwenya has a real nice motor, will always hustle and doesn't let a "bad" play sidetrack him metally. He's right back at the defender the next time he touches the ball.

Positives: quick, unafraid, speedy, good balance
    negatives: below average first touch, the "head down too much" thing, wastes too many chances

Overall, Ngwenya could have a good trial, and therefore be considered a nice prospect. He is skilled, so to say he coulnd't play in the Bundesliga is a bit of a stretch. But, to say he'd be a consistent performer is equally unlikely.

3. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    I hope it's just training. I can't take the prospect of losing another "prospect".

Let's just follow in the Lakers footsteps.

(joke)

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I think to make it to a Bundesliga team you'd need at least SOME basic passing ability.... but i could be wrong.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a young raw talent with good potential. With the right coaching and playing time, he could be effective. But there is no way at this stage of his career he gets much by way of playing time with a big club in Germany. Except for my concern about his current coach, I would be inclined to say his best chance to develop is still in MLS.

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All potential right now. Only time will tell...

But damn he's fast.

7. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. blackhawk

blackhawk New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Riverside, CA
    Daniel,

Joseph spielt mit Herz und viel Talent. Er wuerde sicherlich in der Lage sein sich einen Platz in der Manschaft zu ergattern. Was er braucht ist Freiheit um sich richtig zu entwickeln. Unheimlich schnell und in der Lage gute Flanken zu bringen. Fuer ein schnelles Konterspiel ist er einer der besten. Etwas zu verspielt beim dribbling aber sonst ausgezeichnet mit einem gutem Torgespuer.

For the Americans:

Joseph plays with heart and lots of talent. He would surely be able to work himself into a spot on the roster. What he needs is freedom to properly develop. Awesomely fast and able to produce quality crosses. One of the best for a quick counter attack style of play. A little to playful in his dribbling but otherwise outstanding with a good nose for the goal.

9. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm getting foreign language envy again.

10. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No....... not Whoopi?

say it aint soooo...... Whooopi........... Muthafvcker......... Whooooopi?

B-itch can straight ball !!!!!!!!

11. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I am friends with Joseph, along with my best friend's family who is from Bullwayo, Zimbabwe...his hometown. He's a very generous, giving, nice young man...right up there on my list of favorite players. I said goodbye til' February, as I saw a movie, played FIFA ( :) ), and then ate dinner with him at one of my friend's house, along with Josh Gardner. Normally, I wouldn't put my experiences with them on the boards, but I thought I needed to share my opinions. I believe he cannot sign with the Bundesliga club, and is only training with them (I don't think it's a trial, per say), as he still has a little while left on his MLS contract. Here's my thoughts about him:

Positives: Fast, fantastic in the air, unselfish (TOO unselfish, though, mostly), positive person and player, great 1 v 1 moves.

Negatives: Has a good peg, but won't strike the ball with it, dribbles with his head down too much, wastes too many chances in and around the 18, as said before, TOO unselfish.

Overall, I think Joe has a great chance to be a solid player in the MLS. However, before that can happen, I think he needs to be consistent on a game-to-game basis.

12. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good prospect for MLS, but I dont see him making a Bundesliga roster, especially one of the quality of Hamburg. The guy is blazing fast and has a knack for getting himself in the right place at the right time like a good striker should. On the flip side however he has a horrible first touch, almost 0 vision when it comes to passing the ball and the accuracy of his longer ranger shooting leaves alot to be desired. If the team did wind up signing him based of his potential I dont see him getting off the reserve team for years anyhow. Is this something Joseph wants to do to try and get a chance to play in Europe? Who knows. We'll get an idea soon enough.

13. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else wonder if Herzog made a few calls for him?

14. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    His speed is easily his best asset, but he needs to learn how to contain his speed and use it to his advantage. He gets overly excited at times, probably from his lack of consistent playing time. I think he proved against Colorado that his best position is clearly forward.

15. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you mean. But its scary how educational BigSoccer can be. Why, I think I am almost begining to understand TequilaJoal's posts....

16. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Here's another personal experience with Ngwenya (though this one is vicarious as I have not played against him myself): a friend of mine who plays in the PSL scrimmaged the Galaxy last spring and marked Ngwenya (and Ruiz for the second part of the game)...his take was that Ngwenya is really really fast, and a good dribbler, but didn't do much as far as produce scoring opportunities. Ruiz was apparently a lot tougher to contain.

Basically Ngwenya is a very raw talent, but he has the tools that you can't teach like speed, quickness, and dribbling ability/confidence. But because of his inexperience, a good defender can pretty much take him out of his game by never letting him fully run at you etc.

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I do remember reading that Ngwenya was the player that Herzog thought had the most potential or something along those lines.

18. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times in the last 9 years have Galaxy players gone to Europe (or Latin America) for 'trials' with teams there only to return to the G's by April?

Greg Vanney is the only one I can think of right now that didn't return. Perhaps I'm missing someone.

Either way, good luck to Joe...I'd love to see him develop at the HDC, but if he doesn't return I've no doubt Sampson can find someone else to take his spot on the bench.

19. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thanx a lot for your informations, guys!

If I read something in the Hamburg press, I will keep you updated.

20. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    Herzog played in Germany? I thought he always played in his home, Austria.

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I know he played for Werder Bremen. Not sure who else.

22. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    He was one of the best Bundesliga midfielders in the 90s! Played several years for Werder Bremen (8 or 9, not sure) and 1 year with Bayern München in between. He won the Bundesliga (1x), German Cup (2x) and UEFA-Cup. For sure the best Austrian player ever to play in the Bundesliga.

23. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd give anything to see him become a coach here, especially in LA.

24. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I don't know about coaching, but Herzog sure was absolutely atrocious on the field for LA on multiple occasions. Without his left foot on free kicks and services, he is basically 100% useless.

I can't even count how many times he was completely embarrassed while trying to play defense. A complete joke. He'd take a desparate swing at the ball, miss, and either foul the player or just fall on his ass with an angry look on his face.

On top that, he had one of the worst tempers on the team, for a player that doesn't even deserve to be on the roster as far as I'm concerned.

Herzog never did anything to impress me, and he has got to be one of the biggest debacles among imports in league history. How he ever played in the Bundesliga is beyond me unless he was a completely, completely different player back then.

25. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    if andy was atrocious then the rest of the galaxy team wasn't even worth mentioning this year.