Joseph "Joe" Scally at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Peretz48, Nov 13, 2019.

1. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    also got him out of the clutches of cfg

2. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Is someone buying Sands for more than $7M? Did I miss something?

hindsight will tell us how bad of a deal it was yet it’s a little difficult to play too much of a counterfactual with these. If he didn’t sell him maybe he wouldn’t have developed the same or had some big disappointment. I think the deal for someone that young was objectively good but you’re right in that it offloaded the development risk.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, there's very little indication that they could've developed Scally in matter that would've gotten them more than $7m. Reynolds went for $8m, and I don't think Scally would've been offensive enough to surpass that.

Selling him earlier also means they likely got the same fee without getting rid of Tinnerholm, who is a mainstay for them. I think it was a great move by Reyna, still.

4. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Tomorrow Scally and Moenchengladbach will play a friendly against Bayern Munich. Should be a great test for him. And if Richards and Booth are there too itll be a must watch Yank fest

5. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    No, but from an NYCFC perspective at least we got a good chunk of games from Sands AND will eventually get a solid transfer fee. The Scally situation is great for the nats (and I'm nats first by quite a margin before NYCFC), but if I'm an MLS club, I want to get a season or two of productivity out of players and then sell while they're still super young and have resale value for the next club.

largegarlic repped this.
  6. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Okay but there's a cost to this too, which is that players may be less likely to sign for you in the first place (or more expensive to sign) if they feel you are impeding players' process and denying them opportunities. (Also not every prospect pans out.)

7. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I’d say the risk is that they end up not being as good of a player as you thought and then you end up with a mediocre player and no transfer money which is the case for a large number of young players.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    MLS were proud of 15 million for for Davies. Scouts thought he was one of the world's top players for his birth year. Now he's worth 80 or 90 million.

9. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I doubt its even possible for Davies value to get anywhere near 80/90 million playing in MLS. Proving yourself at the CL level means a lot.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.tag24.de/sport/fussball...laenzt-der-newcomer-auch-gegen-bayern-2059976

If Borussia Mönchengladbach has a winner of the season preparation so far, it is Joe Scally (18)! All doors on the way to becoming a Bundesliga professional are open to the American .

[​IMG]
    Joe Scally (18) was able to convince in previous test matches on both the right and left defensive positions. © imago / David Indian song

On Wednesday evening (from 6 p.m.) the team from the Lower Rhine will be visiting the Allianz Arena. The game is played against no less an opponent than FC Bayern Munich . A real endurance test for the foals!

This will also be the case for full-back Scally, who has so far only been able to convince with good performances against "smaller" opponents.

"He tries to plow his right side with sovereignty, callousness and recklessness," sporting director Max Eberl (47) recently praised the youngster. "He's only 18 and a half years old. You always forget that a little when you look at him."

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mace, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    superdave repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    anyone figure out how to get this one streaming on an android tv?

15. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You can always use the streaming sites if the link doesnt work. If you need some links DM me please

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well that opens up some tantalizing possibilities.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was supposed to be playing as a LB but he is a RB, right now.

18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Booth and Richards on the bench for Hollywood

Gacm32 repped this.
  19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scally is playing well.

20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yank on Yank with Tillman going up against Scally. Scally looks phenomenal. This could be a breakout season for him. Looks like he's been playing at this level for 10 years.

21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    scally is physically dominant

Smithsoccer1721, Gacm32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    got a bit too cute in his own box after some emergency scrambling by his cb there but he uhh might not be a backup for the entire season

ChicagoVT repped this.
  23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played well in the 1st half.

ChicagoVT and Gacm32 repped this.
  24. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    HT commentators talking about him being a top talent.

25. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles