Joseph "Joe" Scally at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Peretz48, Nov 13, 2019.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watching Scally in those comps, I'm not too worried. That's the look of a player that you get onto the field. I'm surprised he's developed this well but I wouldn't worry about playing time.

comoesa repped this.
  2. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I might be in the same boat. He was horrible in that U17 World Cup, tentative and would never progress the ball forward from the outside. Pretty much the RB version of current day John Nelson.

It’s wild that that team played so bad. Busio, Gio, Pepi, Scally, and Kayo were on that squad and it was still horrendous

3. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    How Wicky got a head coaching gig with the Chicago Fire after that debacle blows my mind. I remember watching and the formation and tactics were horrendous for that immensely talented U17 team.

4. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I remember Scally in qualification more so than the actual WC and didn't realize he played that poorly. I mostly remember him running himself into the ground and tiring a few times, at which point he made some mistakes.

Still, he's the type of prospect everyone should have been excited about a few years back. @ussoccer97531 was high on him early and I always agreed with his assessment. He's always had the unique combination of athleticism and technical ability of a high ceiling prospect and I always got the sense he possessed the mindset and work ethic to eventually realize his potential.

I actually think NYCFC's lack of a proper USL option for its players hindered his development and slowed his progress a bit. Happy that he's in a good place now and think he will be relatively successful at Gladbach. I do wonder whether he, or any of our other high quality right backs, could play DM or LB instead.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I don't start labeling our players for life until the u20 WC :D. But yeah that is looking like a good haul for a u17 squad and now I do remember Scally from that WC team. He looks like a grown man now and is no clearly no longer timid in the dribble as well.

superdave repped this.
  6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I think I maybe only watched 1 game from the actual WC, but watched most of qualifying. So my lasting impression of that team them dominating Mexico in the qualifying final, but not being able to get the goals commensurate with their performance. So, I had a positive impression of Scally from that, but started to doubt that after everyone said he was poor in the WC and then didn't really get any minutes with NYCFC.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #108 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    I can't easily tell/don't feel like double-checking whether this is the same interview, so I'll just post it here:

https://rp-online.de/sport/fussball...el-mit-borussia-moenchengladbach_aid-61669527

Amusingly, to me, it appears one of his friends on the team is a German '02 named Rocco Reitz. Their friendship is apparently one of at least partial necessity: Many of their teammates, it seems, are older, so all they talk about is their kids. I feel seen.

He says he lives in Duesseldorf, perhaps a 40-minute drive east from Moenchengladbach. Don't know enough about Germany to know if this is a city/suburbs thing, but seems likely. Young dudes gotta young dude.

There's a good bit of "he says the right things" stuff in there, but it seems like he sees himself as someone with a chance to contribute to the first team this coming season.

Dervos, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a friend who plays basketball in a German town but he said all the younger players live in the nearby city, so I think it's pretty common. Dusseldorf is also closer to also closer to the center of the Ruhr Valley, meaning he can go see Gio more often.

9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positive words from the coach:

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Would be pretty exciting to see Scally have a lot of first team involvement in the upcoming season. I didn’t see it coming so it would be a really pleasant development.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comment here about LB. He'll need to show versatility to get more playing time because the starting RB is solid.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to go meta here…the guys we now are defining as a Golden Generation seems more like the Cruyff class, the harbinger of a new soccer power. Because behind those guys (Adams, Pulisic, McKennie, Reyna), we’ve got Chris Richards, Reynolds, maybe Scally, Pepi, probably Busio. And behind those guys, there are already some very exciting 16/17 year olds in MLS.

14. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I wonder what the bonuses/clauses were on the transfer from NYCFC. Might end up being some good business

15. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Too many RBs in our system. :mad:

16. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    What impresses me is his size and athleticism. He is massive out there, and very aggressive on top of that. He looks like a high end prospect who REALLY wants to take the next step. I bet he could even be a decent CB with his size.

dougtee, USSoccerNova and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    eberl truly saw something in scally and bet big when a lot of us were scratching our heads a bit. looks like the pros do in fact know some things.

Kagler24 repped this.
  18. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Sounds like he can also play at LB, but yes I agree we are quite stacked here.

Who knows when this depth might come handy, or what feels like depth now doesn’t pan out long-term. Worst case for WC qualifying is Dest gets hurt, Reynolds rides line at Roma, and then we’re most likely deciding between Scally, Yedlin, or Cannon.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have 2 of our top RBs, competing for the #1 spot and the others can play as a backup LB, CDM or CB.

20. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    If there is any karma, our next quality outside back will look like this:

[​IMG]

superdave repped this.
  21. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I’ll be honest, I have no idea what this means.

22. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    2 left feet

eliwood, Pl@ymaker and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  23. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    It’s interesting because Claudio Reyna got a lot of props in the moment for the Scally sale but now in retrospect it could look pretty bad. Got $2M for a kid who had played like 5 games — maybe we have a decent sell-on but regardless I would’ve much rather taken the Sands (or Busio) route where we get a couple seasons of minutes and then sell for a multiple of that.

24. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    potentially 7 mil is still pretty good business