Joseph "Joe" Scally at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Peretz48, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    He was recently (past two years) converted from an attacking mid?

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  3. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mt Stone@ repped this.
  4. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    you are very welcome

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    no way! i look for his name in the xi and get disappointed where the vast majority of the time its glued to the bench every match

7. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do the same but believe it’s directly related to his already having agreed to join Gladbach. I presume both Gladbach and Scally don’t want Scally to get hurt. However he’s so young I’d want to believe that the value of game minutes exceeds the risk of a career threatening injury. Then again, it’s not my career.

8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i hear that, just hate having development vacuums like this. next phase is there kids getting like loans or something to mls clubs that might play them while they wait to turn 18

gnk repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  10. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree that it’s a shame that Joe and others like him are basically losing valuable learning time and game experience during very formative years. Training is great but nothing beats in game learning. He turns 18 soon so hopefully he’ll pick up where he left off, and progress quickly at Gladbach.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
  13. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    That's good to hear. We're running low on decent right backs as a nation right now.

kba4life1 and largegarlic repped this.
  15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It’s mad, isn’t it? Now the USA just needs a reliable left back. George Bello looks the part, but he needs to make the jump to the next level to develop further.

16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he is on the way-

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">️ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rose?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Rose</a>: &quot;<a href="https://twitter.com/jjscally_10?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@jjscally_10</a> is due to arrive on Monday. He will undergo all the necessary medical examinations and then he will have the chance to showcase himself in first-team training.&quot;<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DieFohlen?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#DieFohlen</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DSCBMG?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#DSCBMG</a> <a href="https://t.co/f0FMX7o705">pic.twitter.com/f0FMX7o705</a></p>&mdash; Gladbach (@borussia_en) <a href="
    ">December 31, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #43 KALM, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    I never could find confirmation of that Eberl quote above saying that Scally would be part of the first team, so I couldn't really figure out if he meant immediately or not. The transfermarkt article sources it to Kicker's print edition, but Kicker's website doesn't have anything about it.

At the least, based on the post above, it sounds like he'll be training with the first team in January. After that, I'd still be surprised if he joined the first team immediately. Especially since that BMG announcement makes it sound like his training with the first team is an opportunity to show the club where he's at currently.

Winoman repped this.
  18. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    Hannah Gobrecht, local Gladbach reporter, told me his lack of minutes in 2020 was disappointing to the club, so he’s going to be with Gladbach II on game days until he regains sharpness/fitness. He will be with the first team in training.
    I’m not sure if this is a Scally-specific plan or if there is a cohort of Gladbach II players who train with the first team regularly. Looking at their UCL player list, there are a one or two players registered on the A-list who don’t have any first team appearances, so maybe it’s a cohort thing?

But small details out of the way, it’s a great opportunity for him!

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, starting out Gladbach II and hopefully with the first team at the start of the new season is still a positive trend in his career trajectory. It gives him some time to adjust to a new country and be ready to go at the new season.

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    mace repped this.
  21. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 mace, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    ChicagoVT and PhillyFury repped this.
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First game of Gladbach II is on Saturday.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChicagoVT, SCSAutism, mace and 3 others repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    ChicagoVT, frankburgers and dougtee repped this.