Jose Mourinho: Love him or hate him?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's a bit of a Jefsmith McJohnson, and by that I mean that he is the kind of guy that makes you smile when he wins and makes you smile when he loses. I think a character like Mourinho can only be good for the English game. He's a top notch w@nker, let's say. I liked Ranieri as well, but not for the same reason.

Revelian

2. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

True.

3. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Now that is an oxymoron :)

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I respect that he looks out for his players (for the most part) and instills with them the belief that they can win no matter who the opposition is or how much time exists in a match. He's a sensational motivator.

Having said that, I also think he's a pompous windbag that doesn't know when to shut up, which is actually making it easy to root for any team that's playing his.

5. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty hard to deny the fact that he's an absolutely fanstastic manager. In fact, It should be common knowlege.

That said, for me, he can win all the trophies and be as good of a manager as he wants...but that doesn't change the fact that he's just an ************** of a person.

Thus...hate.

6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Read this article haters and see if it changes how you see him? The excerpt is provided as a fair use piece of the piece to tease you into reading the whole bit.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,4284,1431286,00.html

"A saner assessment of Mourinho's psychology is provided by Oliver James, the psychologist and author of They F*** you up: How to Survive Family Life. 'On a superficial reading the best person to compare him with is Brian Clough,' says James. 'But there are huge differences. Clough's moods swung violently, he drank, and was essentially unhappy. I don't sense that with Mourinho. There is a playfulness to him which is more important than the narcissistic desire to show off or the desire to impose himself on everyone else, which one gets a very strong sense of with Ferguson. 'Both Ferguson and Arsène Wenger have a strong sense of unfulfilled ambition, but with Mourinho there is a joy to what he does, which is more important than a desire to crush the opposition. He does not need to ******** on everyone else to make himself feel better.'"

7. Susiem

Susiem New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Montreal
    Love him.....

I must admit Ive had a couple of moments were I could have gone either way, but in general, I dont think you can fault him for what he does. Hes an excellent manager and hes not afraid to speak a few truths. We couldnt keep him in Portugal but we root for him where ever he goes and wish him Boa sorte!

I just have to correct him on one thing though.

He likes to call himself, "The Special one"

......sorry, thats me :)

8. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Just read that article, and how ********ing similar does he sound to me. Strange to say the least. pfffffffffft even.

Ps. So ********. Leave his lucky coat alone. The Media latch on to anything imo.

9. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm biased because I'm a Portugal supporter. That said, though, I like Mourinho because he makes the world a more interesting place. Sometimes I think he goes too far--like with announcing Rijkaard's lineup before the Barca game--but right or wrong, the soccer world is more fun and entertaining with him in it. I don't buy the psychological assessment posted above, but one thing it said--that there is a certain joy in the way Mourinho works--strikes me as quite true. Plus, you can't argue with the results: the man makes hardware happen. Period.

10. Ref4Kicks

Ref4Kicks New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Central Ohio
    http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3446834

I can't believe any one glorifying this man. :eek:

The man is a liar and total a*s!!! What a complete whiner!! :mad:

I "might" be able to respect him as a manager if he would just shut up!! :D

Enough is enough! Just the play the game! :p

11. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Best Manager in England sunshine.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    What I like most about Mourinho at the moment is that he makes Rijkaard look better, more sophisticated and intelligent by the minute. Suffice it to say that the entire Netherlands, including Robben fans, will be cheering Barcelona on tonight.

That said, at least Mourinho admitted that Barcelona was the better side in the first leg. Perhaps there's an ounce of common sense in him after all.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Judging on the way he deals with defeat, I simply can't agree with that.

14. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Good manager.

Jackass.

don't like him.

15. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

What. 2 defeats. The man is a born winner. Legend in my house.

16. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    So am I. ;)

Hard to respect a guy who has the backing he does, and waits til it's in the bag before acting the ass...
    He seems a little....petulant.
    He's not content to allow the team the glory. Instead, he sees Sir I Licks and Obscene Finger getting press for their 3rd grade bitchfestival, and decides he deserves some attention too...

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He started out as Van Gaal's assistant at Barcelona. He has subsequently said Van Gaal was a great example for him. Now I for one remember how people all loved Van Gaal's obnoxious, arrogant behaviour WHEN HE WAS STILL WINNING. Everybody thought he was very entertaining, and, as you describe Mourinho, everybody then described Van Gaal as a born winner. As soon as Van Gaal stopped winning, however, everybody just thought he was an obnoxious, arrogant snob.

I'd be very surprised if Mourinho didn't follow the same route.

18. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hold on. Who?

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Mourinho. As Van Gaal's assistant.

20. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Who?

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The bloke who is set to manage the mighty AZ next season (and you've made your point)

22. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That's all right then sunshine.

23. Ref4Kicks

Ref4Kicks New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Still NO reason to act like a TOTAL ASS Rain Cloud :mad:

24. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

See. I love Chelsea because of Jose Mourinho and i hate the ********ing Cockneys. I just appreciate good football. I dont ask for very much. Just a few pound in my pocket for a pint and nice football. Simple as that.

25. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's a good tactician but it's not hard to be a good manager when you can spend all the dosh you want. It's like playing Premier manager with the cheat, a 6 year old could do his job, the kid might cry more but that's basically what Mourinho does but without the tears.