Jose Mourinho Chelsea ( R)

Discussion in 'Portugal: Clubs' started by Roy Da Silva, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
  2. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
  3. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
  4. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Chelsea can spin blood to their heart's content

Blood spinning, the controversial technique used by Chelsea last season, has been officially endorsed by UK Sport.

The government-funded agency, who administer drug testing on behalf of the Football Association, had advised players not to undergo the treatment amid fears it may breach anti-doping rules.

Among the Chelsea players to have received the treatment were the Dutch winger Arjen Robben and German centre-back Robert Huth.

But a meeting last week with Chelsea's club doctor Bryan English has allayed UK Sport's fears and an official statement is due to be released next week confirming the technique is not illegal.

The process involves taking a sample of the player's blood, removing the platelets cells that assist the healing process and then injecting them back into the injured area. It is claimed to speed up recovery.

It was originally developed for use in major trauma injuries, such as in car accidents, but is increasingly being applied to sport.

English joined Chelsea from UK Athletics, where he had been credited with helping Kelly Holmes overcome injury to win the 800 and 1500 metres gold medals at the Olympics last year.

It was while working for UK Athletics that he first came across blood spinning when he learnt about it during a conference organised by the American College of Sports Medicine.

5. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Chelsea was looking into this, but I believe they never went through with it. I know reading during the seaon that Robben refused this treatment. So I googled it. From what I've read this is just a modern way of healing injuries, looks legit to me. Either way, don't think Chelsea actually went ahead and used it.
    I know you always felt that Mourinho wasn't on the up and up. But Chelsea is NOT Porto. And the EPL is not the corrupt league that is the Superliga.

But if you want to raise questions. What's up with Cisse from Liverpool. Did you ever see the video of when he broke his leg?? That was hardcore. :eek:

For a while they thought he might lose his leg. But yet somehow he recovered in time to return for the end of the season and still play in the later stages of the CL. :confused:

Anyway, here's the article where they confirm Robben turned down the blood spinning treatment.

UK SPORT QUESTION NEW TECHNIQUE

UK Sport believe the process of 'blood spinning' being promoted by Chelsea doctor Bryan English raises many questions which could lead to it being declared an illegal procedure.

The World Anti-Doping Agency are currently looking into the technique, one English has offered to Arjen Robben and Robert Huth to cure their injuries, only for both to decline, although it will remain an option for other players.

The 'cure' - more scientifically known as infiltration - involves taking a sample of an athlete's blood, removing the platelets - the cells that assist the healing process - and then injecting them back into an injured area, so speeding up recovery.

What is banned is 'blood doping' where the red blood cells are segregated, stored and then infused back into an athlete immediately prior to an event to boost oxygen levels.

English can seem no harm in the 'infiltration' procedure, yet because of the lack of scientific information and data on the process, it has come to the attention of WADA.

WADA media relations manager Frederic Donze confirmed: "We are looking into this method, which is a particularly comprehensive process, as we would any other that may be used by athletes.

"I have spoken to our scientific people and they are trying to gather as much scientific information on this to see if there is sufficient evidence for it to be included on our prohibitive list."

That evidence will be put forward to the List Committee - the arm that determines which substances and methods should be banned - who in turn pass on their findings to the Health and Medical Research Committee before final ratification by the Executive Committee.

UK Sport have already been in contact with WADA and a spokesman said: "As far as we are concerned, it's an almost unknown, untried technique.

"To quote WADA's scientific director, he says there is no scientific data in any review literature.

"They have found a couple of articles which does not recommend the use of it due to the current lack of information.

"The problem is there are too many unanswered questions: 'How is the blood removed? How long is it removed for? What happens to the blood once it is removed? What security measures are taken to ensure the blood is not tampered with?'

"These are the issues WADA are looking into and they are hoping by April 21, at the next meeting of their List Committee, to have some answers and to discuss whether or not it should be on their banned list."

Scott Shea, a biologist and managing director of Harvest Technologies, an American-based company whose slogan is 'developing technologies for accelerating healing, naturally' feels once WADA have all the information, they will appreciate the procedure's benefits.

Shea, who confirmed a number of athletes have used, and are using products developed by Harvest to assist in their speedy return from injury, said: "It is an up-and-coming treatment for people with hamstring, tendon and cartilage problems.

"As far as I am aware, it has so far proven not to come under any doping restrictions.

"I can understand the questions raised, and they are all legitimate ones, but as yet I do not think they understand the process, which is used only on injured tissue.

"An injection of what we call prp, platelet-rich plasma, is made into the injured area, forcing the body to recognise there is an injury.

"The patient's own stem cells (a repair system for the body) then race to the site of the injury, so helping it heal much more quickly. There is no risk or danger."

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  7. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Crespo , Drogba and Gudhunson will be a great striking combo.

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    U21 Filipe Oliveira on loan from Chelsea to Maritimo

9. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Chelsea should get a new staduim as part of the olympics

10. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Crespo is complete garbage, Drogba and Gudhunson are decent striker's but what Chelsea needs is a Shev or Adriano to be taken seriously in Europe :cool: Ok there already a force to be reckon with, now can u imagine a sniper such as the two mention above, they would win everything in England and Europe :cool:

BTW does Abramovich have any interest in FC Porto ;)

11. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    I would not call Crespo Garbage he scored 18 goals for Milan last year in all competions.

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Chelsea willing to pay Barcelona 120 million euros for Ronaldinho, and 140 million euros to the player

http://www.record.pt/noticia.asp?id=678325&idCanal=44

ABRAMOVICH PONDERA PAGAR CLÁUSULA (120 MILHÕES), DIZ A IMPRENSA ITALIANA
    Chelsea pode cometer loucura por Ronaldinho

Roman Abramovich está disposto a pagar a cláusula de rescisão de Ronaldinho ao Barcelona, cifrada em 120 milhões de euros, segundo a edição de hoje do "Ill Corriere dello Sport".

O desportivo italiano garante que o dono dos "blues" está disposto a viajar para Barcelona para contratar a "estrela" brasileira, depois do Chelsea ter falhado as contratações de Shevchenko (AC Milan) e de Adriano (Inter).

Em relação a Ronaldinho, Abramovich estará na disposição de pagar 140 milhões de euros por um contrato de nove temporadas.

Arnesen confirmado

Entretanto, o Chelsea anunciou que o antigo internacional dinamarquês Frank Arnesen vai começar a trabalhar em Stamford Bridge em Setembro, assumindo as funções de director desportivo na equipa de José Mourinho.

Parece assim terminada a "novela" da contratação de Arnesen, que motivou duras críticas e acusações por parte da sua anterior equipa, o Tottenham. Os "spurs" suspenderam Arnesen e ameaçaram apresentar uma queixa contra o Chelsea, por alegada abordagem ilegal.

Aparentemente, os campeões ingleses terão compensado Arnesen pela saída do Tottenham, embora seja desconhecido qual terá sido o montante envolvido no acordo.

Data: Sexta-Feira, 8 de Julho de 2005 19:29:00

INFORMAÇÃO COMPLETA NA EDIÇÃO IMPRESSA DE Record

13. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Alright, he's not garbage but he's not a world class striker :cool: When u've got Abromovich throwing money around like we would throw confetti, i'm sure the last thing he wanted to get this summer would have been Crespo :cool:

14. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I can't see this happening. I don't see Ronaldinho as Mourinho's type of player. How often do you see him tackle? Would he be willing to come back and defend? The other thing to this story that makes me doubt it is that supposedly Chelsea will spend 10 million a year on his salary. Mourinho said in an interview earlier this week, that out of respect to Frank Lampard and John Terry, any new signing would have to settle for less than what they make per week as they are the heart of the team and considered their best players. They make about 90 -100 thousand a week.

I think this is nothing more than propaganda on Ronaldinho's agent's part. They are using Chelsea's name to get Barca to give him a better contract. Similar to what Steven Gerrard did earlier this week.

The word is that chelsea is set to sign two players this weekend or next week at the latest. They are set to spend 40million on Essien from Lyon and Shaun Wright-Phillips of Manchester City.

Chelsea make move in £40m double swoop

Chelsea make move in £40m double swoop
    By Russell Kempson
    IT IS odd that, two months into the close season, Chelsea are showing a profit of at least £6.8 million on their transfer dealings. Roman Abramovich, the club’s billionaire owner, is more used to massive deficits when he mulls over his trading balances at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea, though, are expected to burst on to the market next week, possibly this weekend, with a double deal that could total £40 million. They have played a waiting game in their pursuit of Shaun Wright-Phillips, the Manchester City winger, and Michael Essien, the Lyons midfield player, but the courtships are over.

José Mourinho, the Chelsea manager, is growing impatient. He has brought in £14.8 million from the departures of Mikael Forssell, Mateja Kezman and Scott Parker — not to mention the saving on wages when Juan Sebastián Verón extended his loan to Inter Milan for a further two years — but has spent only £8 million, on Asier Del Horno, the Spain left back, from Athletic Bilbao.

Chelsea and City officials have spent the past fortnight in “informal” discussions about Wright-Phillips and although no bid had been received yesterday, it is considered a certainty. Chelsea, having conceded that an opening offer of £18 million will not be acceptable, are likely to start at £20 million. With debts of £62 million to service, City may attempt to drive the price up to £22 million. However, the haggling should not last long and will probably end in agreement, with half the proceeds going to Stuart Pearce, the City manager, for squad strengthening and half towards reducing the club’s overdraft.

Chelsea are bullish about the deal going through, although they believed that they had secured Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool captain, until he changed his mind at the last minute. Wright-Phillips may not be able to resist the lure of playing in the Champions League, which his adoptive father, Ian Wright, the former England and Arsenal forward,has assured him is essential for his development.

Mourinho is also keen to capture Essien, the Ghana midfield player. Jean-Michel Aulas, the Lyons president, has talked of Chelsea having to offer £25 million, but a bid of £20 million would prove difficult for the French champions to refuse.

With Hernán Crespo having returned from his loan with AC Milan, Mourinho has little need to invest in a forward. He regrets, though, that he was not able to work with Gianfranco Zola, who left Chelsea for Cagliari in his native Sardinia two years ago and, at the age of 39, retired last month.

“Gianfranco trained with us at the beginning of last season,” Mourinho said. “It was something I agreed to because of the dimension he had and the affection he left behind. What a man, what a professional, what simplicity and politeness. If he said to me, ‘How would my career have been with a coach like you?’ I also say ‘How would my Chelsea be with Zola at the age of 30?’ ”

Mourinho also paid tribute to Ricardo Carvalho, his Portuguese compatriot, who played a key role in the Chelsea defence that conceded only 15 goals in 38 league matches last season. “He achieved a fantastic level,” Mourinho said. “A season, in my marking, started with six out of ten, rose to seven and eight, and finished with nine and ten. All his games at the end were brilliant.”

Chelsea have completed the move of Frank Arnesen, the former sporting director of Tottenham Hotspur, to Stamford Bridge. Arnesen, who is believed to have cost Chelsea about £6 million in compensation, will take up his role as head of scouting and youth development on September 1.

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    My opinion who ever get's Ronaldinho get's top quality, but they need a player like Deco the can work for him :rolleyes:

16. ALBU

ALBU New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Toronto/Albufeira
    There's a pre-season match going on at the moment and there are two Morais playing for Chelsea - Nuno and Filipe...who's Filipe?

17. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Arjen Robben was the star tonight with a goal & 2 assists in Chelsea's 5-1 win

18. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Mourinho"s 47th win as Chelsea coach

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    they better be ready, because we are not scare of anybody, remember what happen last season with Real Madrid

20. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah but don't forget, Real Madrid is not the team it used to be. They've been pretty weak the last few years.

As for Chelsea, I don't expect much from them. They've only been training less than a week and tonight's friendly,which they won 5-1,was their first of the pre-season.

21. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Thread closed due to its length.