Jose Juan Macias at Leon

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 28, 2019.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, I wouldn't go straight to YA thread without some confirmation, because this is one that will take on a life of its own.

But, credible Mexican source has reported this...

José Juan Macías was again the great absentee in the call of Gerardo Martino for the friendly commitments of the Mexican National Team against the United States and Argentina in mid-September.

According to information from our reporter Rubén Rodríguez , "the forward has received invitations from the United States National Team to be part of the stars and stripes."

Macías is the best Mexican forward of the Liga MX in 2019 and his outstanding performances with the Fiera have positioned him as an element to be taken into account by the Mexican National Team, but 'Tata' Martino, at least for the moment, opts for Javier Hernández and Alexis Vega.

https://www.foxsports.com.mx/news/4...ertas-jugar-seleccion-mexicana-estados-unidos

He started with Guadalajara and has been with Leon since January 2019.

Scored 5 goals in 5 Liga MX matches since the start of this Apertura. Had 8 goals in 14 appearances in the Clausura (and 2 more goals in the playoffs).

Transfermarkt profile: https://www.transfermarkt.us/jose-macias/leistungsdaten/spieler/546047

I guess we'll see what's going on soon.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played in the 2019 U20 World Cup, so we would be talking about a one-time switch situation.

Midas Mulligan and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He said it reminds him of the Isaac Brizuela situation... "Hey I'm American, too!" El Tri: "Here's a cap tie."

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like that he's yelling in English.

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw a report about J Macias playing for the USMNT, I thought we were talking about the lead guitarist/singer for Dinosaur Jr.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored & assisted last night:

The Warriors rescued the 2-2 draw in León and fell to second place in the #Apertura2019 . José Juan Macías scored and put the pass for Angel Mena's score. Julio Furch (Penal) and Eryc Castillo scored the goals of the lagoons.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I came across a FIFA interview (in English) where he called it "soccer." He's all ours!

8. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Macias is eligible, is not eligible, is interested, is not interested, is switching, is not switching, and Buttercup is marrying Humperdinck in a little less than half an hour, so all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the Princess, and make our escape after I kill Count Rugen.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, now we get into the semantics of the situation.

Is he eligible for US citizenship by birth? Even if he hasn't gotten the passport, that doesn't mean he's not a US citizen.

Usually, that wouldn't stop him from being eligible for the US, even after he's played in the U20 WC. But it also depends on FIFA's definition of "acquiring new citizenship." I've read that as being naturalized, but lord knows what FIFA's official definition is.

11. LaMascara

LaMascara Member+

Apr 11, 2013
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    Who know but I believe he was born in Guadalajara. Some sources say that he was contacted but was ultimately un eligible to play for the US.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this may be a strategic leak by him like Brizuela. He's pretty hot right now, so I would expect to see him at the next Nations League match.

LaMascara repped this.
  13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Do you have 6 fingers on your right hand?

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The internet chatter is that his father is a US citizen. Some folks are saying his family is well-off, which might have led to the US passport, but I can't find anything about his parents.

I'm going to assume there is at least a little fire to go with the smoke. It might be a false trail, but it's fun to speculate.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    and that his english is shaky.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    How does that work?

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A number of ways, but if he was a bigwig in a company that operates in the US, he might have come in on a visa and worked for a number of years on a Green Card and naturalized. Or the grandfather might have been the one in the US & JJ's father was born in the US. When you have money & education, it's pretty easy to move across borders.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    true dat

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played in a friendly against T&T and scored in his NT debut:

Goals Mexico: José Juan Macías at 22 'and Ricardo Angulo at 30'.

Lineups

Mexico: 1.- R. Gudiño; 22.-A. Waiter; 14.- I. Govea; 6.- J. Angulo (24.- J. Vásquez at 62 '); 3.- C. Calderón (4.- G. Arteaga at 46 '); 11.- I. Rodríguez; 17.- S. Córdova (15.- F. Venegas at 73 '); 18.- E. Aguirre; 5.- P. Yrizar (8.- J. González at 62 '); 10.- J. Macías (9.- J. Godínez at 73 ') and 20.- R. Angulo (7.- J. Torres at 46'). DT G. Martino.

UniversalAdvice repped this.