Jose Euro-Champion-No-Mourinho's own United thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by MyHouse!, Jul 11, 2005.

1. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LONDON, July 11 (Reuters) - Manager Jose Mourinho says Chelsea's rivals will need to improve next season to have any chance of beating the English champions.

In an interview with Chelsea's members' magazine published on Monday, the outspoken Portuguese coach also said winning a second title would be tougher.

"It will be harder because other teams understand how strong we are and they have to improve. If they are the same, they know they have no chance."

ADVERTISEMENT

Chelsea, who won their first championship for 50 years, finished the season 12 points clear of nearest rivals Arsenal and 18 ahead of third-placed Manchester United.

Asked if his side were still hungry for trophies, Mourinho said his plans for bringing in new blood were partly designed to counter complacency.

"In reality you could say I don't need another midfielder. I have enough. If you don't need it from a football point of view, you need it from a mental point of view.

"A player cannot think that because I was good I have my place and because I have my place I don't need to have the same commitment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_y...aA--?slug=reu-mourinho&prov=reuters&type=lgns

This is trash talk even beyond anything Wenger or SAF have said. I don't remember SAF saying that when United won the league by like 15 points or whatever a few years back.

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Mourinho: Get better or get lost

Well, he can't refer to himself as "European Champion" every five minutes anymore, so I guess this is the newest ego-centric spin we'll be hearing....

3. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

mourinho is the great one :rolleyes:

4. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

It's real easy for him to talk when Roman is throwing around the GDP of some small countries for transfers.... ;)

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So Mourinho is stating that Arsenal and Chelsea have to do better this season to topple Chelsea. Hmmm.

Did he mention that the earth was round? How about day follows night? I'm actually thinking he was mis-quoted because he is usually more creative than this.

6. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The wisdom keeps coming. Evidently Jose later stated that the team that finished the year with the most points will win the league.

7. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously.

Guess what, Jose? The only thing harder than winning the league is retaining it. It's kinda nice playing 38 games as the neutral's favorite. It won't be so nice with a giant bullseye on your players' backs every game.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One thing to add, I have to wonder if Jose Cuervo's latest piece of brilliant thought is a response to this.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gazza Nevillinho:

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050711/4/c887.html

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

We need that 1 big signing and 1-2 good squad players... its the squaddies that have let us down, that and the lack of scoring... I think Mourinho will have sophomore slump.... the brand of football they play is top class, but its also rigid, I say the next time we play them we try to convince JM that he needs to get Abramabitch to invest in titanium shin guards for Duff and Robben, as minus their wingers they are beatable.

11. robby241

robby241 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    US

i cant wait to see this arrogant son of bitch eat his words.

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fvck yeah, Gaz. That boy gets it. A poor start and weak showings against bottom feeders are what did us in last year. I think he also understands that these "exceptional" seasons are going to be happening more often than not, and if we don't start stringing a few together, there won't be much chance to win the league.

13. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary

Gaz is right. When we're on song no one can stop us, no one. We just have to keep our concentration, keep up our form and have good backups for when our mainstays get tired. I want to see Jones and co. on the bench as well.

14. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA

I couldn't agree more with the one exception of getting Rio signed and focused. We had an excellent defence even with Carrol between the posts. We need to keep that a constant for the rest to fall in place.

15. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

We also weren't in good health right from the go...... If you look at the squad that we sent out against Chavslki to start the season it was all squaddies......

That first month or so basically doomed us for the season.....

Given good health and a fighting spirit which we are starting to show by our statements we can beat anyone.......

Just ask Arsenal.... :D

16. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We need more luck with the injury situation this year.

Also, it'll be fun to see how the Ruud/Rooney partnership gets a chance to shine after a proper pre-season program....

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

yeah, Shrek and Donkey have a shot at being one of our best strike pairings ever... they are certainly more talented than Yorke/Cole, Teddy/Ole however it just remains to be seen if they can find that telepathic link that those pairings seemed to have.

18. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London

meh...

Arsenal FC - FA CUP Winners 2005.. ;)

19. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA

The telepathic thing takes time together ... one thing they just haven't had. It will come !!!

20. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

No, he's just deflecting attention from the fact that we've spent less than you or Arsenal thus far this summer, which isn't a good thing.
    Also, he's, as usual, drawing all the attention to himself and away from the players. Standard Mourinho MO, really.

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

fixed...

22. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why is that? I mean, did people really expect Chelsea to continue with the gluttony of the past two summers? When you've got almost two full lineups' worth of depth, I'm not sure how much more needs to be spent in the first place. United and Arsenal had more positions that needed covering, so the two have bought accordingly. Chelsea will do the same if they feel players might not be up to standard this year as well.

It would've been easier to run that American Express ad a few more times.

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

:D

24. Hawki

Hawki New Member

May 4, 2005
    NorCal, USA

The only interest they've shown in this years xfer is to drive up prices for everyone else... (and of course convincing young kids that they are confused and don't know what they want).

25. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto

its easy to win European titles when you manage a classy team like FC Porto ^_^