Jose de Jesus Mendoza to San Jose?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by futbol monkey, Jan 27, 2008.

1. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Unfortunately the article only appears in ESPNDeportes so there's no english version. But to summarize:

Mendoza was on trial for club Gaziantepspor in Turkey and in less than a month he went back to Mexico because he said the team was like a neighborhood club because they didn't have training clothes. Mendoza pointed out that they asked him to buy his own shorts since he was only there for a trial. He goes on to say that before his trial to Turkey, he was looking at the MLS, specifically at San Jose and he hopes that those talks can start again and that he hopes to hear something next week.

Here's some more on the rumor (in english this time) from our friends at MLSRumors.com.

http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/01/jos-de-jess-mendoza-to-san-jose.html

Now remember we must follow the template, so well articulated by JazzyJ, of how to handle rumors.

I gotta say that if JD and FY don't sign this guy, we should stop hoping for any international signings. Here's a guy (and a striker nonetheless) that has played for the big Mexican clubs (America, San Luis, Monterrey) and played for the Mexican national team (I think this past June) and says he wants to play for the Quakes. This guy practically has dropped on JD and FY's lap.

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Well, the MLS rumors site says he wants to specifically play for San Jose.

Any info on this guy?
    I have no idea who he is, what hes done, or what type of player he is.

3. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's what we've been waiting to hear in any of the rumor threads.

Wikipedia - Jesus Mendoza

4. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Yes, what IBT said.

Perhaps, an amendment should be submitted to "the committee" (JazzyJ and selected others) for consideration that, in some instances, a step exclaiming "WHO?" be added to the template.

I also know nothing about our man, Mendoza, here but it appears he has been with some good, big clubs in Mexico and I would be interested in at least having a look at ANY player who specifically expresses their desire to play for the Quakes--that shows a great attitude. I wonder why he is so interested in SJ?....figures he'll immediately start on an expansion side?....has family in the Bay Area?....knows there is a substantial Latino population in this area? So long as it is not a cash-grab because his agent told him SJ needs forwards and has a DP slot available. I don't know what $$ he would be asking but I can't imagine it would be DP bucks since none of us have ever heard of him.

Still...benefit of the doubt...if he WANTS to be here, specifically, let's bring this guy in for a test drive.

BTW, it cracked me up to start my day by logging on to the boards only to find yet another "______ to San Jose" rumor. It's almost becoming like a joke-of-the-day type of deal.

5. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Mendoza is listed on the wikipedia site for Mexico's National team under the section of players in Europe. I can't at this moment find a list of resent rosters to know when was the last time he played of the national team.

Perhaps someone that follows the Mexico national team more closely can help out here. He has played for both Chivas and Club America.

6. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    [ " 29 year old Mexican striker, José de Jesús Mendoza
    who is known best from his time at Chivas, Club America, as well as Monterrey and San Luis is looking for a new move away from his current club Gaziantepspor in Turkey. Destination: San Jose

As the story goes, Mendoza wants to play specifically for San Jose and looked forward to the return of the Earthquakes. He hopes to get a deal done through his agent: Gabriel Guerrero: " I would like to play for San Jose." he said. " ]

VERY INTERESTING ! ! :cool:

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this thread, Mendoza's trial at Gaziantepspor came to an end when the team sold fellow Mexican De Nigris. He was last seen trying his luck in Azerbaijan. I'm starting to understand why he'd like to play in San Jose...

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Azerbaijan? It makes you wonder if he is damaged goods in some way if he is trying to find a team in such an out of the way place. (no MLS jokes now!)

9. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think it wouldn't hurt to give him a trial. With practice starting in a week, I still only see one starting forward in Glinton and three forwards headed for the developmental team. We are way too thin at the position to turn away an experienced forward that has basically showed up at our front door.

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It can't hurt giving him a look.

11. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    might as well

12. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If he's out of contract we won't have issues with transfer deadlines. A trail seems like a great idea.

13. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    If it makes any of you feel better/worse, I simply e-mailed MLSRumors the ESPNDeportes link, and translated the part about specifically San Jose.

No inside info on this one.

14. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems only natural that someone named Jesus would want to play for the Quakes. (i.e. the forces of good and evil coming into their natural alignment.)

In a related note:
    Did you know that "alexi lalas" is just a coded anagram for "evil as LA"?

He is how.

rule #1) Replace "x" with a "v"
    rule #2) Two letter that are the same equals the upper case letter. So, aa=A.

Apply the two rules then rearrange the letters in "alexi lalas" and you get:

"evil as LA". :D

OK, better go do something productive now.

15. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hope it leads to wins.

16. EpiQuakes

EpiQuakes Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well San Jose better damned well get a couple one-time high caliber first division Mexican players because so far they are not offering much to get the Mexican American/Latino fan base to really buy into our new team. This will help them sell seats (last I heard we still had closer to 3K than 4K season seats sold but that was provided by a sales agent at the superdraft party) which will be especially important for the 4 games at the Colisuem and when we move to a ~20K seat stadium. Plus that will sell Jerseys. I remember that John Doyle said something about obtaining more foreign players in the hopes to pull in a more diverse crowd and that he meant from somewhere other than Canada (meaning Latin America and not a DeRo) but so far I am pretty unimpressed. Getting a couple well known Latino players is key to creating a marketable team in the bay area and will increase sales so that they go ahead and plunk down the money for all those goodies we want in a new stadium and so they start to spend money on quality players. I look forward to starting to run into salary cap and DP player restraints because that will mean the ownership is really willing to throw down for this team. I think that one of the best ways to give the ownership that level of confidence is by creating revenues fast and getting a couple well known players out of the Mexican and other Latin American leaguses is a critical component to obtaining those revenues.

17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I saw a short thread about Jesus Mendoza that I think was in the Mexicans Abroad forum, and there were references to Jesus Mendoza as a guy with "9 lives" - I think the implication being that he keeps popping up when you think is career is over? His last 3 three years in Mexican football were with San Luis. I couldn't find any stats for him for those 3 years. But appears that he was productive at one time for Chivas, around 1999-2000. But that's quite a while ago.

18. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yeah. Remember it was Graziani that lead our team in scoring in 2002!

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My carpal tunnel is flaring up just looking at this...

20. Timbers

Timbers Member

Aug 14, 2003
    San Francisco
    In terms of getting some good Mexican or Central American players: I wouldn't worry too much at this point in the year. Historically, such players have often signed closer to the season opener. Last year, Blanco signed in March, and joined Chicago in July. When players such as Luis Hernandez or Carlos Hermasillo signed in years past, it was usually around May or so. Since the Mexican league season is underway now, it probably makes more sense for such players to stay with their respective teams, rather then playing in preseason games at PAL stadium.

Similarly, when the Quakes signed Ronald Cerritos in '97, I believe the signing took place in March.