Jose Burciaga Jr. - WC 06?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by giftedmadness, Jul 14, 2005.

1. giftedmadness

giftedmadness Member

Jun 16, 2003
    KC
    I think Burciaga is having a great year and is probably one of the top 3 left backs in the league. What are his chances of making the World Cup squad next year? Why isn't he playing now? What attacking-minded backs are better in MLS than him?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His distribution is still lacking some and he likes to just boot the ball long too often for my taste. I do agree though that he should be getting a call up some time, especially since left back is one of our weaker positions.

3. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now he is making to many fundmental mistakes in the back. It's nothing glaring, but that's because he's in the MLS. If you put him on the world stage, I think strikers would eat him alive.

The Wizards have been terrible at defending set pieces this year, and I have seen games where his marking has been sub-par. Also, when the other team is on the attack, he tends to watch the ball too much and loses his man.

He is also lacking in the creation and vision department right now when he has the ball. For a player with such a great leg, he sends way too many lobs over his strikers and right the opposing goalkeeper. He needs to tighten up his long balls or play more feet-to-feet with his teammates and cut down on his turnovers. I think his shot is pretty good right now, though. No complaints there.

I may be nitpicking, but I think that this is why he has not been called up yet. While he is not making any HUGE mistakes, he also is not standing out above any other defenders who are already on the national team.

4. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call it nitpicking I think your assement is right on the money.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He's still catching up for being injured for 3 years.

If he stays healthy, he has the talent to eventually make it to the international level.

But he's still got to learn the subtleties of the game.

6. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    yeah, and I think that's exactly what he missed out on during all that time injured. If he has those two years healthy, he picks up on more of that stuff, and is a much better player. Give him some time. The skill is there, the athleticism abundent, but he's still learning as he goes.

7. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I think Burciaga would respond well to the challenge of a national team camp.

How would people here rate his fitness? I can never tell. He looks tired at various points, but I haven't really noticed his play slacking off late in games either.

8. hornonmyankle

hornonmyankle New Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Jose gets by on athletic talent but lacks the necessary soccer IQ to play for the Nats. Just my opinion, but I have seen him train and play up close.

9. jmatye

jmatye Member

May 14, 2000
    Kansas City, Missour
    He's still got a ways to go. He made a bad mistake on the first RSL goal tonight, and he got a silly yellow card late in the game. He has very good skills and moves forward well, but still makes some bad decisions. Gansler seems to be sticking with him and accepting the fact he will make some mistakes along the way -- good decision on his part. I don't think he's ready for the MNT quite yet.

10. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Gansler didn't want to stick with him we really don't have any other options at left back.

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a valid point. did zotinca sleep with bob's daughter or something, because he's really fallen off of his radar. starting brian roberts, then subbing him for raybould? prolly the wrong thread to bring it up, as this one's about burciaga... oh well.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Jose would be better of playing at left mid than at left back. He can get forward well, can beat his man and he crosses better from further up the pitch than from his own half.

His defending and long ball distribution are his weak points.

13. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    losing his cool and trash talking with Jamie Watson..then hacking him in what should have been a red card foul is the kind of stupid play one can't afford to make if ever playing for the national team.

14. McGinty

McGinty Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know about the former, but he hit several beauties tonight from the back line.

I consider Burciaga similar to Ashley Cole when he first broke into the Arsenal first team. No, I'm not saying that they are similar players or that Burciaga is as good as Cole. The comparison lies in the fact that neither were polished left backs when they first broke in. Cole was simply a suspect defender, but his speed and attacking skills demanded that he play. Cole has now turned into a good defender to go along with his attacking abilities, and I think Burciaga will do the same, although I think Burciaga is a decent defender regardless of the brain cramps the past two home games.

15. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't comment on Saturday as I had a Fish emergency -- I killed two in a tragic "clean my fish tank screw up". I did save 5 -- or at least didn't kill them :(

Glad to hear his long balls are beginning to find their target. I much prefer him getting down the wing, beating his man and whipping in a cross, he has a great knack of doing that. Launching it forward from our own half diagonally across the field is obviously a ploy Gansler likes, and it suits us cos Klein usually does well and gets behind the right back and causes problems.

But so many of those long balls don't work -- I just wish he would do the shorter safer pass a little more often.

16. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's actually a new plastic surgery procedure for that call a scrodum tuck that's supposed to be all the rave in Hollywood. Just ask Nick Nolte...

[​IMG]