José's first signing. Welcome to United Eric Bailly!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good start to the summer. Now let's get Ibra wrapped before the Euros.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The new Mangala?

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile: Eric Bailly's road to United

Here’s all you need to know about Manchester United’s imposing new centre-back. Eric Bailly has completed his transfer to Old Trafford from Villarreal, the Spanish club where the Ivory Coast international enjoyed a meteoric rise after making his La Liga debut in October 2014. The stage is now set for the 22-year-old defender to ascend under the guidance of new manager Jose Mourinho, adding further chapters to his increasingly remarkable story.

THE BEGINNING
    Bailly was born in Bingerville, Ivory Coast, also home to Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony, and his quality as an aspiring footballer was spotted by Spanish side Espanyol during a youth tournament held in Burkina Faso. He was signed by the Catalan club in December 2011 and joined their youth system at 17, but it was 10 months before he received a work permit that would enable him to play.

Once his papers had arrived, he became a regular in the Espanyol B team, playing under the name of Eric Bertrand, until deciding to use his mother’s surname, Bailly, instead. Having caught the eye of first-team boss Sergio Gonzalez, Eric sampled his first taste of professional football during a 2-0 La Liga win over Real Sociedad before registering his first start in a 1-1 draw with Villarreal, who quickly showed just how impressed they were by the young defender they had faced.

JOINING VILLARREAL
    In January 2015, Bailly moved to Villarreal for a reported fee of £4.4million as a replacement for the Arsenal-bound defender Gabriel Paulista. It was claimed that Espanyol did not want to sell their rough diamond, but essentially had no other choice due to the club’s financial problems at that time.

INTERNATIONAL SUCCESS
    Bailly’s first big transfer was completed during the 2015 African Cup of Nations in Morocco, where he made six appearances as The Elephants reached the final and drew 0-0 with Ghana. That led to a dramatic penalty shootout and Bailly bravely stepped up in the ninth round of penalties to score his spot-kick. After two more Ivorian goals, his ecstatic team-mates were crowned champions of Africa.

PROGRESS AT ESTADIO EL MADRIGAL
    Although his start at Villarreal was slow, making 12 appearances as he competed with centre-backs Mateo Musacchio, Victor Ruiz and Daniele Bonera from January to May, he became a regular starter throughout 2015/16. This was his breakout season as he started 25 La Liga games in a team that conceded only 35 goals, as the Yellow Submarine finished fourth to qualify for the Champions League.

Bailly also featured heavily in Villarreal’s Europa League campaign and made seven appearances, including one against Liverpool in the semi-final. Injury ruled him out of the decisive second leg at Anfield when Jurgen Klopp’s Merseysiders secured progress to the final.

THE FUTURE
    Following his transfer to United, the future appears to be bright for Bailly as he bids to impress new manager Jose Mourinho. A role at centre-back looks most likely, but the Ivorian can also play at right-back and his versatility could prove to be crucial. Either way, exciting times are ahead.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Ashur, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

In the team's new training kit.

[​IMG]

Signed a 4yr contract with an option for an additional 2.

[​IMG]

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    When I said in all those match threads I wanted anyone but Blind I was not being literal.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    A small step in the right direction. He will be first African player at United that I can remember since Erick Djemba-Djemba. A true center back with height to work with "Mike" and or be part of the rotation.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I haven't seen much of the kid but he seems to be big, strong, fast with decent skills on the ball. I haven't seen him enough to know how is distribution is out of the back. One worry is that he seems to go down easy and is pretty reckless with his tackles.

10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fortune?

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By my count, he's actually the third or perhaps 4th African player at United. There was Djemba2, Quinton Fortune and a big striker SAF signed who never made it. Don't remember his name but I believe he was from Mozambique.

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Was he before or after EDD? Any way as a Ghanaian it is nice to see an African playing for United.

I always felt because of ACoN being smack in the middle of the EPL season, SAF liked to avoid buying African players.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

exref repped this.
  13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Manucho?

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manucho: he is from Angola.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Martial Law will help him out!

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martial, Schneiderlin and also Fellaini (should he stick around). And if Pogba comes back (lol!), the French speaking faction will become pretty significant at OT.
    Still hope he gets on learning English ASAP though: more than any other position on the pitch perhaps, the backbone of any solid backline is great communication between the players.

18. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Michel" must bone up on his French for the sake of the defensive pairing.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ha! Well at least when De Gea yells at him in Spanish, he will know what is going on!

20. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Another one that got away.

Sigh...

21. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That was Diouf

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Ashur, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    There was no bigger loss than Dong...

Completely forgot about Diouf as well. So I guess Bailly is the 5th African United player in the first team. Here's hoping he becomes far and away the best of the lot.

23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seen him play once I think, against Madrid and he matched Ronaldo easy for pace/acceleration. We can play a high line with him and Smalling which would be interesting to see.

Playboy Red Devil repped this.