Jorginho to Sporting

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    it was a matter of time, one of the portuguese teams going to sign the V Setubal star

www.ojogo.pt

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  3. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I really don't see what the big deal is with this guy. He's a decent player but doesn't do well against good teams. He didn't do squat against SLB last month. I'm happy that it's SCP that's interested in him and not SLB. We don't need mediocre stars, we have our fair share already.

4. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Why sign someone elses product. why not bring in one of your own and develop them. there could be some nice suprises. Plus they would had value and then they could sell them for more money later on (Hello Cristiano R) :confused:

5. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Jorginho's production has been dropping recently and I wouldn't spend major cash on this guy. He wouldn't help Sporting that much.

Jorginho is a decent player but nothing great. Honestly, I don't see why Portuguese managers are willing to bet the farm on a below average Brazilian player when there's plenty of talent in their youth system.

6. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sometime teams look at players they can get for a modest sum that may have a tremendous upside. At times Jorginho has looked good, and SCP would be able to get him for almost nothing.

They have done this many times in the past. A Couple of years back they had Duscher who the picked up from Newells Old Boys for nothing and after winning the Superliga title sold his pass to Deportivo and this generated a nice profit. (certain players you can not keep in Portugal as they will eventually cost you a lot of money in salaries and the Portuguese teams just don't have those revenue streams to keep certain players.

Some times a team is limited to the resources that they currently have.

On the surface this might not be a bad signing.

7. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    were is he going to play? in Carlos Martins place? Hugo Viana's place? Rochemback's place? Custodio's place? Liedson's place? i don't think so
    He would be better to accept Benfica's offer

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    why Jorginho? when you got Duola, Liedson, Niculae, Sa Pinto, etc.