Jordan Morris at Swansea (fricking on fricking loan)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 5, 2016.

1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Translate fail.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think it's a joke.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was watching Gunners beat Sunderland today and it occurred to me that Morris would be just the right guy in the 18 to come in as offense relief for Giroud or Walcott or Joel. One reason is that he has some physicality to his game which Arsenal lack when Giroud comes off. He is the only US guy I ever thought would fit with Gunners apart from Fabian (they booked Monreal instead) and Bradley (when just about all the mids were injured at the same time a couple of years ago. I think they brought in Coquelin.)

Would starting at Bremen be better? I think so.:thumbsup: The conditioning team at Arsenal is pretty good these days.:whistling:

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So how much would it take Morris to go overseas $500k?

In the third division Werder II is in 19th place with 21 points, Hansa Rostock is 16th with 22. Their leading scorer is a 32 year old 2nd striker with 4 goals. Their 3 other strikers are under 20.

Does this play into their thinking at all or is it in the 18 or bust?

5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, no one would benefit from having Morris spend much time with the second team. This is about Werder needing to add pace and a warm body to their forward line, and the sporting director already lowered expectations for the winter window by basically saying they don't have any money for a big time player. Enter the mysterious College-Liga kid recommended by the Werder-Legende and Klinsi for a free trial.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  6. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Like I said before, I can't see where there would be space on the Werder Bremen squad for an additional striker, unless they clear out first. Ujah is the clear number 1, and they've got two additional expensive strikers in Pizarro and Johannson. Plus, Werder like to give their youngsters like Lorenzen a chance. That means that Morris would compete with four strikers at least for 1 position, if they continue to play with one up front.

Plus, what they really, really need are midfielders, both attacking and defensive. Doesn't make much sense to load the squad with strikers when the midfielders can't get a decent ball to them, which was the big problem during the first half of the season.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He lacks the necessary quality. Imagine one of arsenal's players in college and you'll see how absurd this is.

*rey*, Martin Fischer, nycfc919 and 3 others repped this.
  8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #108 Excellency, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    "one of arsenal's players" - you mean like Gideon Zelalem?

here's the forwards from official site:

Forwards
    image: http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/120x76/aug_15/gun__1438609197_Players_Giroud_SMALL.jpg

[​IMG] 12
    Olivier Giroud

image: http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/120x76/aug_15/gun__1438610233_Players_Walcott_SMALL.jpg

[​IMG] 14
    Theo Walcott

[​IMG] 17
    Alexis

[​IMG] 23
    Danny Welbeck

[​IMG] 28

Joel Campbell

Sanchez is injured. Is Welbeck still injured? That leaves three forwards, all of whom are starting.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not talking about the Scottish 2nd division.

Martin Fischer and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Then who? They have 5 forwards according to their official site. Two are injured and the other three are starting every game, including cup games, in their 3 forward formation.

Some previous back ups - Chamakh (now at Crystal Palace). Lord Bendtner, when he felt like it. 32 yr old Arshavin. Guys with contracts too rich for trading. Yeah, I'd buy freebie Jordan and train him up. Why not. otoh, writing an essay on the reasons Wenger has for not offering the young man employment is not something I care to do on a Sunday afternoon.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Claudio Reyna and Brad Friedel were both college players. They did fine at every level.

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Compared to the other 40,000 players who didn't?

Jazzy Altidore and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  13. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They have Alex Iwobi who's getting some bench appearances and Akpom and Sanogo are on loan. Besides, if they wanted cover at the ST position they aren't in the financial position where they'd worry about the transfer being free or not. And I'm sure Wenger would backfill with proven professionals like he has with Elneny at D-Mid (although I think Morris probably isn't too dissimilar as a prospect).

Ultimately, I think Jordan's talented and who knows if Bremen is the best for him, but if he goes to Europe it should be to a team that's going to make him an important piece (or at least plans to). I personally think he should take the offer at Bremen, provided he impresses on trial, because the MLS players usually get one make or break move to Europe, but to be honest I wish it was to a good Dutch, Belgium, or Swiss club and not a cellar-dweller Bundi team.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    WB are a traditionally strong BL team. They are just having a bad year.

15. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris has no chance at getting a work permit in England, so why even bother bringing it up....

16. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have high hopes for Morris but he wouldn't come close to breaking into the Arsenal roster.

Here's a question I was asked the other day and it will make you think... Is Joel Campbell the best player to ever come out of Costa Rica and the USA?

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    How is it he came out of the USA?

18. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Joel Campbell was American, is he the most skilled player in the history of the NT

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most skilled or best?

20. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Separate categories or combined?

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

Biggest A-hole in Costa Rica and US history? Yes, I agree.

Gacm32, chad, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  23. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll move this to N+A in the opponents thread

bungadiri repped this.
  24. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WB have been bad for a few years now.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Don't you know already that if Joel Campbell was American he'd be a wide receiver and never go near a football.

Don't you read your BS?

GiallorossiYank and wixson7 repped this.