Jordan Morris at Swansea (fricking on fricking loan)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Morris definitely has the level of talent to perform in and perhaps even to perform above the Championship. That being said, I tend to be wary of the fortunes of American players in England.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mostly the manager, of course. But, you know, probably Ayew along with him, and the anti-Americanism of the club that signed an American, and it's American owner. Basic rules apply.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are we already jumping to this stage of YA reactions? Stage 1: Breathless euphoria. Stage 2: Unrealitistically good expectations. Stage 3: Unrealistically bad expectations. Stage 4. Rage and blame-casting. Stage 5: More Rage and questioning the soccer gods. Stage 6: death ( of hope) and hatred of all things involving (insert name of club here).

jnielsen, wixson7, ebbro and 5 others repped this.
  4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nailed it!

russ and The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Tough to say what realistic expectations would be for this move. His status in the US team where he is penciled in as a starter would seem to show that he should easily be at or above Championship level as we have plenty of guys getting minutes at or above this level. I guess if he is one of the better US attackers, he should at least be able to win a starting spot at Swansea in short order. Then again, we've never seen him playing regularly in another league so you never know how it will go. But, while he is in a new league that is likely the equal of his old one or thereabouts, after an adjustment period he should be able to succeed there. So what? Say a starter within 2 months and 3-4 goals by season's end? What would being successful look like, or failure? I think we certainly have to give more time to make any sort of judgements, don't get me wrong. But, at some point, he will need to succeed and make a bit of a splash to meet even modest expectations. I will be pretty surprised if he doesn't start seeing increases in his minutes pretty quickly since he's had a couple weeks to settle now.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lowe and Ayew are averaging a goal every 221 and 276 minutes, respectively. Given the settling in period and ramping up to full fitness, my expectation is that he starts producing in that range soon, but is doing better than that by the end of the season.

nobody repped this.
  7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Yeah, outpacing the competition would sound like a good way to measure it to me. If he wants starts, I'd think he needs to show he's better than what they have.

8. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, he needs to win a starting spot cause the way they sub hes gonna about 30 combined minutes on the season from the bench.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Limited subs and rotation is an interesting strategy when you're set to play 50 games in a season. We'll see how it works out for them.

Anyway, massive 6 pointer coming up on Friday for Swansea against top of the table Norwich. Brentford have temporarily moved a point ahead of Swansea into that last automatic promotion spot with their win today against Bristol City, so Swansea don't want to start falling behind.

If Swansea can manage a win against Norwich, they will jump back into 2nd (temporarily at least), and will be only two points behind Norwich with an extra game in hand.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THat's one challenge of going on loan to a winning team--they don't have a need to change it up.

Contrast with Richards, joining a team in a sorry state at his position.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. The accent would have been on the 6th syllable if it were bad.

jnielsen repped this.
  14. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do we think? Any chance of Jordan starting today?

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's starting on the bench, as one would expect.

There was some advanced hype for this game because of its YA potential. But with all 3 players being recent acquisitions, and Swans' reluctance to sub, the over-under on minutes was about 15 (Morris off bench).

Winoman repped this.
  16. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I'm watching/listening. Game on ESPN+.

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swans go up 1-0 (42nd minute) thru Andre Ayew. Uncharacteristic howler by the pristine Tim Krul. He simply dropped an uncontested corner to the Swans and Ayew turned it in.

Good for Morris' prospects of promotion, not so much for his inclusion in this match. Though Lowe missed a shot on the break I think Jordan would hit the majority of time.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 Swans. What a rip by Hourihane. Took it down well and drilled it in the corner from 25 yards. Excellent addition to Swans so far.

Morris won't be NEEDED the way this is going, but if the score remains it may provide comfort to bring him in late.

Edit: Actually Ayew's been moving around gingerly since a first half knock & he's older. It's hurting Swans' press. So that may be a path for Morris' entrance.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hourihane has been producing lately. Was he also a Jan signing?

20. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, on loan from Aston Villa, 3 in his last 3.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris with about 15+ stoppage time left.

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  22. markandrew78

markandrew78 Member

Jun 10, 2007
  23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pitch and of the play. Looked like Morris will need to get use to the speed of play.

Gacm32 repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morris was robbed of a penalty after playing a thru ball to a teammate which he couldn't handle under pressure but Morris recovered. Played the ball past the opponent to be in on goal, but got his legs clattered.

Here's from the Norwich beat guy even:

Overall did pretty well seeing out another 2 goal lead. Hustled to slow down Norwich's attack, created a couple chances, & won balls in the air.

But you could see he's not match fit. Hands on knees toward the end, in spite of only playing 15-20 minutes.

So hard to see him starting any time soon w/ the lack of fitness and Swans doing so well. Norwich, Swans, & Brentford have an equal shot at auto promotion mathematically. But Swans & Brentford are trending up.

25. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Morris needs to be loaned out to find minutes! Swansea aren't starting him! Maybe to a League 1 side or Belgium!

appwrangler, Gorky and mschofield repped this.