Jordan Morris at Swansea (fricking on fricking loan)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 5, 2016.

1. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    well seattle is the only team with homegrown rights. which if im not mistaken means it doesnt count towards the cap

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that Morris should be played centrally, bUT Dempsey and especially Martens have no problem floating wide in MLS.

3. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Jmosmooth going to get pro minutes in Germany right away? I don't know. I'd rather him stay in Seattle I think.

4. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Herzog does have a point that he could play a role right away for Werder. Ujah is a target man, Pizarro is 89 years old and Aron is hurt.

Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    If he could play a role this season and they offer him twice as much, then I hope he goes. But I guess it's going to be something that both sides will really have to believe in. A generous contract and a seemingly smooth path to playing time could do the trick.

6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    dont forget the cultural change that he will go through. From his bros at stanford to Germany with maybe 1 acquaintance (Aron J) new language, weather etc. Also 2k + miles from family.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Don't clubs have someone to quickly tutor the foreign players in German? Or simply he could get by on English and a cheery attitude.

Now if it was Italy, itd be totally different.

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germans speak English well as a general matter. Also, its an easy language to learn for english speakers.

Gacm32 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Not as good as the Dutch or Scandinavians but I agree.

My point is usually wouldnt a club provide a tutor for the foreign players. Probably rare to find a German coach in the Bundesliga who speaks fluent English.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Good point.

In fact, years ago when Feilhaber went from NCAA ball to the Bundesliga he said that was one of the hardest changes to adjust to; the cutthroat mentality in training and teammates who were no longer close friends but rather fierce rivals:

“The competitiveness in training is enormous, which makes it really difficult to have good friends on the team,” Feilhaber said in a telephone interview from Germany. “Everyone’s competing with you, and if you’re doing well it means it’s bad for them. It’s an environment of real competition in training and it’s unbelievable how people fight against one another to win a spot on the team.

“I never felt that in the U.S.,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/15/sports/soccer/15soccer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Winoman, (TxT), Gacm32 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That's the type of environment we need to cultivate. It SHOULD be cutthroat, if you don't have the skin for it, you'll never make it to that level.

12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    morris is a bit older than feilhaber and has undoubtedly already been living under the us soccer microscope for 6 months

Gacm32 repped this.
  13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    And like I said earlier, none of the players here are lead strikers. At best, Dempsey is a midfielder, and Oba a false 9. They simply don't have an out and out striker ready for big minutes on the roster.

Also as you noted, they lost their wings. Jordan could eat minutes at those positions as well. He'd be going to a great situation there. He'd get mentored by a USA great in Dempsey, live near home, play in front of a big crowd, and in a city who's fans and media take the team seriously.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, little less Klopp, little more Nowak.

I agree that MLS starters need to fear for their jobs more than they do, but there can be a balance...

superdave repped this.
  15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Sure, but it was only a of couple of months ago that he stated how was in no hurry to experience the kind of environment Feilhaber described:

“This is an experience I’m never going to get back,” he says. “I get to be in school at Stanford. I get to live with my best friends. Every day I’m in the locker room with the guys I call my brothers. That’s the experience I’m talking about. On a professional team, you’re probably not going to have that. You’re competing for spots, contracts, and everything.

“It won’t be the same. It won’t be this.”

http://grantland.com/features/jordan-morris-soccer-usmnt-stanford-cardinal-jurgen-klinsmann/

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    deuteronomy repped this.
  17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +++ Jóhannsson on trialist Morris: US international Jordan Morris will play as a guest, before starting his trial for the Green-Whites on Monday. Aron Jóhannsson, who knows Morris from the US national team, had positive words to say about his compatriot. "He is a very good player and a nice guy. He has already proven that he can play at a high level for the national team. He always tries to attack. I hope he doesn't a good job," said Jóhannsson. +++

http://www.werder.de/en/profis/57581.php

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    It's not our culture. We are good in basketball and team practices are not like that. German versus USA mentality.

19. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all clubs in Europe are like that either. See Barca and Dortmund.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Belek's temp is 40F right now, slightly warmer than in Bremen, which is in low 30's. It is nicer at day time though, around 60F.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion of field turf is that it's pretty good in year one. By year three it's terrible. Anyway, I thought Seattle was on a 3 year cycle, so shouldn't it be replaced for next year?

Not terribly relevant when MLS is going to try to sign Morris for 4 years. Just wondering.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was busy yesterday.
    [​IMG]

He's due to fly to Turkey this weekend.

Bookmesir repped this.
  23. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Gorky and Scotty repped this.
  24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my linited vantage point, Morris seems to be a player with grit, who will go in the trenches and grind out a victory or get a place in the team. Feilhaber (one of my all time favorites) never struck me as a fight your way in kind of guy

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I couldn't tell if that was a typo, joke, or maybe serious from AronJo.