Jordan Morris at Swansea (fricking on fricking loan)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 5, 2016.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Martins is probably 35 but that's still three DP's fighting for two jobs. And they are all ahead of him!

PS. There's also something to be said about Sigi's ability - or lack thereof - to teach the tactical and technical skills up to the average Top 10-12 Euro League level. Yedlin's left Seattle very raw. Regardless of whether you think DA has a chance in hell of ever regularly playing for Tottenham - I don't - you have to concede that Seattle prepared him inadequately for anything resembling a professional game. On top of that, Garber effed up his transfer because Yedlin should have gone to a club two tiers below Tottenham's.

Then, add where MLS sells its stars and it's certainly not Bundesliga. So, unless Jordan likes them warm beaches of Mexico ...

2. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so too, but I think they're set on Valdez/Oba/Clint being the starting 3

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    hahahahahahaha .. ya, Martins and Dempsey will be setting up the table for a 21-YO college kid.

4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Werder II has scored 25 goals in 21 games. Not great, but not bad either - especially when considering that it plays with players who are mostly younger than him.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He's literally the only forward on the roster that can play at this level, other than Oba. Craven, Mansaray, Darwin Jones...Maransay is still young enough, but the other two are actually 23, and still haven't shown to be good enough.

Seattle is a good step for him. Unless you're going to an academy, or straight into the first team, I'm not sure Europe is a better option than stable PT in MLS.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think they view him more as a midfielder than a striker though. When you get down to it, Martins is the only our and out striker, and actually Morris is the only lead striker, in that he can lead the line.

Seattle don't have anyone who can take the top off a defense, and Morris gives that to them, and he opens up space for Dempsey & Martins (who's really a False 9) to operate a bit deeper where they like to.

bballshawn repped this.
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    BTW, I am not sold on Bremen either. They're struggling on so many levels right now. I'd much rather he went to a club like AZ or Utrecht, a stable solution in a league worse than BL1 but better than BL2. Or whatever level Werder II might find itself in a year.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

That's actually what they do best. It's what Seattle has been missing. A pure goal scorer. If you've actually watched Seattle play in person, you'd see that Martins is everywhere. They don't have a presence in the box, and it's really stunted their attack.

Gacm32 repped this.
  9. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But without an EU passport, I can't imagine many Dutch clubs would want to pay a first year pro the high Eredivisie non-EU citizen minimum wage. Maybe the big Dutch clubs would but probably not.

I could be wrong.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    But how much responsibility did Sigi have to teach Yedlin technical skills? Shouldn't that instruction have come before he got to Seattle's first team?

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yedlin's technical skills took a huge leap between Season 1 and Season 2. I think much of it was down to simply hard work.

In year 1, his speed and 1v1 defending more than made up for whatever deficiencies he had technically - and he had a lot of good players in the attack to make that deficiency palatable.

That's going to an issue for Morris, they're going to need him to improve pretty quickly

onefineesq and bballshawn repped this.
  12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think the minimum is down to about $350,000 now, very doable by the Eredivisie standards. Green is making way more than that at Bayern. (Ya, I know, chump change for Bayern but still)

Let's just say Yedlin came in from Akron as a 10-second egg and left as a 30-second egg. Still runny.

And, btw, he lucked out that he was sold to an English club. In Italy or Spain - and he can go anywhere due to his Latvian passport - he'd have to play with the U-19's.

BostonRed repped this.
  13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It's quite possible Herzog had more of a hand in it. He's considered something of a legend at Werder Bremen.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a lower salary when the player is under 23. It's not the $650k+ that senior non-EU players have to get.

16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, but it's such an easy, obvious and realistic answer for younger American players. Of course, the Dutch teams have to be interested too . . . .

17. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that is a U-21 requirement, not U-23

18. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't see what the hype is about this kid. I'm also ignorant to what he offers. I've only seen a handful of his games but it doesn't seem his anything to write about. Again, i'm ignorant to what he brings to the table other than just another decent u23.

19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    does werder really have any interest or is this just a favor to herzog? or does it even matter if morris shows well?

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He's ridiculously fast and he can kick it

NOLA repped this.
  21. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Good for him.

22. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Morris has excellent shooting technique with his right.

I spent an afternoon watching him in a drill with the rest of the US team, during his first callup to senior camp. In my opinion he was the best shooter in the drill, quite a bit better on the day than Bobby Wood, who was still in his lost-at-sea phase, particularly confidence-wise (and whose shooting technique I came away feeling couldn't compete with the college kid's.)

Combine that with real smarts, self-belief and beast-mode athleticism (like that amazing goal he scored, was it against France? at Toulon, where he wrestled free of a couple of defenders at midfield before storming toward goal and dramatically firing home).

There's a chance he could be pretty good.

Namdynamo and Gacm32 repped this.
  23. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good? Or pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good? ;)

Parmigiano repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Jordan wants anything abroad other than a future sink or swim EPL deal, now's his chance.

25. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I hope this works out. Morris quickly developed into my favorite player in the pool once I found out he was a type 1 diabetic (like myself since age 14). If he ended up going to my favorite club... man, that would just be great. I'm not quite sure how he would fit, but I think he has the ability to break into the 1st team based on what we've seen from him in international play.