Jonny Walker (USA) to the MFL?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by fdp, Oct 25, 2003.

1. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I stumbled across this very interesting article. It is not dated so I don't know how old it is.

http://www.memphisfc.com/TimelyLinks/JonnyWalkerFPage.html

Here are a few excertps:

...Now that Walker, 28, is, reputed for his diligence as the starting goalkeeper for Universidad Catolica...

...Walker is the first child of American parents to establish a soccer career in South America. He might be the third-best goalkeeper with U.S. citizenship, behind Brad Friedel and Kasey Keller. He is a celebrity in Chile but an unknown in his homeland....

...People on BigSoccer try to discredit Jonny by saying he doesn’t play in a good league” said Shauna, who relishes being Jonny’s unofficial publicist. But he has played in games that most American players can only dream of.”...

...His Catolica contract expires in December, and Mexican teams are interested. Mexico is closer to home, the money should be better and the overall level of play is higher.

“I have to asegurar el chancho,” says Walker, who thinks in Spanish more often than English now, “It literally means ‘secure the pig,’ but it’s used to mean firm things up. That’s what I have to do with Mexico.”...

2. vic_0002

vic_0002 New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I read that same article in Soccer America several months ago, it was printed before Walker went to the Metros to replace Howard, at the time Howard's move to Manchester was still in the rumor stages I believe.

What I read since then is Walker was at least considered by a few Mexican clubs, but his agent could not work out a good contract situation in time because the Mexican off-seasons are short. So he ended up on the Metros, which to me was surprising after reading the same article, I assumed he'd either find a way to stay in Chile because of his years of success and having been accustomed to life there... or I could have seen him being successful in Mexico since he could demand some good money based on his past play in a latin-american league.

For now, I don't see him being lured away from MLS...

3. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    from what i saw on fswe the chilean players hate the living sh1t outta him. they were telling em "largate gringo!":D

4. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've seen him play in the Libertadores and with the Metrostars and he is preety good.

Teams who need a good GK:
    Santos (Most likely will get a new gk next year)
    Toluca (same as Santos)
    Tecos (Their starting GK is injured)
    Monterrey (Their gk sucks)
    Jaguares (their gk sucks as well)

5. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah, tuca will get rid of all the argies in his team and replace em with brazilians.

like i said before, i dont know how in the fukc monterrey won a championship with that sh!tty gk!

6. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    Santos to get a new keeper? They just got Luchetti last season. He aint doing too bad.
    Tecos: Rodriguez is very UNDERRATED. I dont see them making a move for another gk any time soon.

7. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    speaking of arqueros...

Is it just me or are the goalies doing a lot better this temporada?

9. El Bachatero

El Bachatero New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    EE.UU-Santo Domingo
    Creo que Johnny puede ser gran ayuda para Necaxa en dado caso. El puede jugar sin problemas en el futbol de Mexico. Algo bueno es que tiene experiencia de la Copa Libertadores de America y esto ayuda mucho.

10. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    i dont see him coming to the MFL anytime soon. His window of opportunity maybe closing to join an MFL club. After a good run in the Copa Libertadores, that was his time to join the MFL.

I see Rios leaving America some time in the near future. If i recall, his contract will end in the summer (not 100% sure but almost). Who knows... Leo may go with young Ochoa.. BUT Rios is still good enough to start on any team.. maybe not a gaurantee in Chivas (Sanchez) or Cruz Azul (Perez) but even in those teams he would still fight for the 1st spot.

11. AMEPUNKANIST

AMEPUNKANIST Member+

Dec 16, 2003
    Club:
    America Propria
    I think cruz azul could give for Rios, after what el conejo has done this season i see it as a possibilty. But I think el conejo es la figura dela maquina. he even has mascot.

12. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Guille Franco won them that title by himself. His play was unbelievable that season.

13. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, considering the article speaks of Johnny Walker at Catholica in the present tense, i'd say that this is a non issue. J W is not going anywhere.

14. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i don't think there will be any american players playing in Mexico any time soon, if not ever. Mexicans hate US soccer players and yell and throw s**t at them.

15. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    [​IMG]

Daniel Hernandez transfered to Necaxa

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Hernandez says hi

17. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    ahhhhhhhhh Chivas fan newbies...... :rolleyes:

18. fangalaxy

fangalaxy Member

Dec 16, 2000
    San Dimas, CA
    I saw daniel hernandez playing center back for Necaxa this morning.