Jong Tae Se @ Kawasaki Frontale 2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Sergei Mantis, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    North Korean Forward.
    I'm surprised no one's talking about this guy.
    I heard there was a possibility for South Korea/Japan to sign this guy up for their own respective NT. NKorea got him in the end.
    His power has always impressed me.

2. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No one's talking about him here because he's not good looking. :D

Kidding.

I'm excited as to what he can do in SA.

3. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LOL
    He seems like a nice, humble guy...
    I'm looking forward in seeing him in SA as well, I wonder if he'll make an impact..

4. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah he seems pretty down to earth.

There's a clip of him singing 독도는 우리 땅 on the Internet.

Don't know why some netizens are branding him as a traitor. If he played for Zapan yeah, but if he's playing for the North then he's serving Korea nonetheless.

5. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I sense your strong dislike for the Japanese..
    This is the problem I see for S. Koreans...
    They View North Korea as their own... While their (North) gov't could care less about us.
    We keep feeding their needs, while they just cause more trouble.
    I know this is a much debated topic, but I hope the North and South do not unify anytime soon. We're not like the Germans. And hell, they faced a lot of problems (and still do). Korea's economy will plummet, and there will be internal problems. (Do you really think South Koreans will not take advantage of the free land that'll be available? As well as the people?)
    I hear North Korean Refugees in the South are now being discriminated.

I know i'm being pessimistic... But I believe this is reality. "Unity, Unified" can sound like pleasing words, but there are always downsides to it.

Reality is... The only way for the north and south to unify/merge is:
    1. Invade
    2. They f* up and invade us, and we take over
    3. North's govt' collapses, then we invade.
    They're never gonna knock on our doors and say "hey, lets be one again!"

Nevertheless, back to topic, I've found this video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVUS-M3_fo&feature=related"]YouTube- World Cup 1966: North Korea vs Italy[/ame]
    Don't know what the commentator is saying, i think its in cantonese.

6. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No offense but if your sentiments are shared by a lot of Korean youth nowadays then that is truly, truly sad.

Keep in mind that North Korea and it's people are under the tyrannical rule of a couple of Sino loving psychos (Kim Family) and their cronies. Regular citizens =/= North Korean govt.

Have no illusions, division of Korea happened because the superpowers carved Korea into half like you would a cake. This seems to be the trend after colonizers leave their colonies, they create struggles and divisions to ruin the country.

Korea = North/South
    Ireland = Northern/Republic
    India = India/Pakistan Partition
    etc. etc. etc.

I hope you're not one of those retards who are actually saying that North Koreans are a different ethnic group altogether.

Maybe it's because I myself being the descendants of North Korean Zainichis in Zapan have this view, but Unification has its pros and cons like everything.

7. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nah, I'm not one of those retards who believe North/South are two different ethnic groups. (I love your defensive pose :p)

Rather, we share no similar ideologies, and fifty years IS a long time. In that sense, we're completely different.

The evidence is right there. South are trying. HAVE BEEN trying. North just consumes our help, and gives sh!t back.

I'm not saying we shoudln't unify, just saying it wont happen anytime soon, unless their govt collapses completely (highly unlikely for the next few decades).

As you know, the REAL North Koreans are the civilians living outside of Pyongyang, living their lives in agony each day -some longing to one day reunite with their loved ones in the South.

The f*kers running the North shouldn't be considered to be Korean at all.

And next time, when someone posts an opinion different than yours, try not to offend them ;)

8. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My bad, very sensitive topic for me.

I think some of my parent's friend's children actually get to go to Pyongyang on field trips. :eek:

9. augietx

augietx Member

Feb 17, 2005
    TexAS
    Bollocks.

You can't blame the division of Korea on foreign superpowers. There is no one to blame but Koreans themselves.

Much like the power struggle in post world war I germany, korea had similar struggles the minute the Japanese occupied the country. Militias, partizans, and resistance rebels divided themselves into two camps. As Japanese rule in Korea became more inevitably doomed, groups were already split as to how Korea should be governed. In Russia and the US, there were ready made allies to clashing groups of Koreans, who couldn't unify. Does this vaguely sound like a familiar theme throughout Korean history?

The Korean character, as Lenin once observed, is full of passion but no method. Much like the current parliament making world news for all the wrong reasons, there has never been an agreement amongst Koreans themselves, and only then had to recruit to cold war foes to fight our fight.

So please, let's not go around blaming others for our own shortcomings. The fellow above makes a very good observation on what must happen for Korea to unify.

10. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I guess the Chinese intervention in 6.25 had absolutely no effect then.

11. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    wtf? is that even possible? :eek:
    Are they from the south?

I hear North Korea is one of the Safest places to visit. Literally :D
    Guides are constantly around you. Talk about Creepy...

12. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No the children are 3rd generation Zainichis attending pro North Korean Choson Schools.

Actually I think those school trips have probably been canceled ever since North Korea started testing nukes and firing missiles.

13. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think what augie was saying is that regardless of the outside influence during the War, the divisions between Korean peoples themselves are what caused it in the first place. There's no way China had the political capital to send a million-man army unilaterally. They were asked for aid by the North and they obliged.

That said, unification will cause some major problems. The South Korean economy will suffer greatly trying to support the weight of North Korean poverty. But after this period of initial 'discomfort' I believe the united peninsula will be a major regional power. Probably why there are so many theories about China and Japan actively working to maintain the North-South division.

14. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ahh... I didn't know pro-N.Korean Choson School existed in Japan, until I read how JTS decided to join the NKNT.

Do you know if the South has academic programs like that?

EDIT: and I apologize if I offended you in any way on my initial post regarding N.Korea.

15. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Mindan (ROK affiliated) ? Not sure TBH.

I don't think so.

If you're curious as to what a Choson school is like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg80hD-ZWAA"]YouTube- Our School - Korean Documentary - Sample[/ame]

16. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_reunification#British_and_French_opposition

Would not be surprised at all.

17. augietx

augietx Member

Feb 17, 2005
    TexAS
    No doubt, it is a burden indeed. Re-unification would set back south korea a decade or more while trying to absorb into the economy the inhumanely treated korean brethren. But you know what? It's a burden that Koreans, I hope, will undertake.

But something tells me that despite all the lofty talk that comes from many in S. Korea, people are more or less comfortable with the way things are. Therefore, it is easy to go around blaming and protesting that the current barrier to unification is the US or China, or something else, and that we are suffering unjustly while achingly pining for our brethren up north.

Quite frankly, I don't think the US could care less if Korea unifies or not, so long as any nuclear arsenal is kept in check.

China and Japan - they would certainly be more uncomfortable. But I think the most uncomfortable will be Koreans themselves.

18. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ^ Well if that day ever happens, they should just do a two systems one country method, similar to HK - China.

Will never happen as long as the Kim Dynasty is still in power.

19. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And if Naman saram want to distance themselves from the North so much then they should stop using North Korean achievements, etc. (i.e. 1966 WC / 2002 WC banners and huge murals with 1966 were all over the stadium)

20. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    @Mudang
    It infuriates me to see that South Korea hasn't done much for the Zainichi in Japan.
    They're basically treated like how illegal immigrants are treated in the U.S, correct?

And for the Kim-empire... KJI's life is reaching its limit verrryy soon. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already dead (whens the last time you've seen a recent video of him). There are theories, but I won't get into that.

I wonder how his son will "rule"....

21. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't want to read through all the debates but this is obviously a sensitive topic for all of us.
    I blame the US and mostly Russia for the division. They were f*ckin with the entire world like we were chess pieces and both decided Russia needed one country with a port because they died in a war that really did not involve us. We had no control over our political situation because the majority of the population was in no way conditioned to political participation and ever since the Japanese occupation our government was totally controlled by foreign countries.
    The US, China, and Japan play very active roles in keeping us divided (esp US). The US still thinks it the cold war era and plays its bullsh*t game of spheres of influence. Again, they want to involve us in a tug-of-war with China. Japanese government is peeing their samurai diapers over seeing a nuclear/radical Korea.
    There will definitely be an economic backlash from unification but there are issues that have tremendous implications to us that economic setbacks can outweigh.

22. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There's a famous story where a Zainichi Korean came to Korea and someone yelled at him: "You're Korean yet you can't even speak Korean!" I'm not sure if there was a physical altercation but you can imagine how pissed and insulted the guy felt.

I'm hoping KJI's son is a little less batshit insane than his father, but I've heard he rode Jet skis and ate gourmet sushi in his youth while other kids were starving to death so he's probably just as bad.

23. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Theres no way he can be "Good", he's never experienced a harsh life.
    KJI's son once said during dinner something like: how can we enjoy this luxury while so many of our fellow citizens are suffering?

Now that just scares me. If he has the balls to say that while enjoying his sushi & lobster, he's no different than Kim Jong Il.

EDIT: about the zainichi topic... South Koreans do that to Gyopos all the time >.>

South Korea.... Sigh.. We long for peace and unification, yet we show the complete opposite facade at the same time.

24. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP2je3Nragg"]YouTube- ??? docu (20080413) 1/5[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0g1fANkPm0&feature=related"]YouTube- ??? docu (20080413) 2/5[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176KPkz_qVw&feature=related"]YouTube- ??? docu (20080413) 3/5[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AjFBzYgZZI&feature=related"]YouTube- ??? docu (20080413) 4/5[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2rry-SP5_g&feature=related"]YouTube- ??? docu (20080413) 5/5[/ame]

i definitely think that if he decided to play for either SK or JNT he would have been a huge asset.

25. Sergei Mantis

Sergei Mantis Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Very nice find!