Jonathan Gomez at Real Sociedad

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Feb 14, 2020.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You
    Hell yes it is! There is no other "Gomez" on the Senior and B rosters that I am aware of. Big accomplishment to be included in the gameday roster against Mallorca. Just looking at those names...... most of the stars and regulars are present and available for Sociedad. Congrats to JoGo. Probably won't play but a big accomplishment, nonetheless.

twoolley and Winoman repped this.
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks like a 24-man travel roster. I honestly have no idea how big the game day squads are in La Liga nowadays.

3. TrustingtheProcess

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 11, 2021
    Philadelphia, USA
    Kind of interesting to note, but it looks like he is the only left back in the squad. Munoz is the usual starter, not sure where he is. They got a couple other guys hurt, like Arsenal legend Nacho Monreal.
    Looks like this is the second game for them without a true left back. They shifted over Gorosabel, a right back, this weekend. With a game tomorrow and Madrid on Saturday, we may see a 1st team debut this week.

Gorky repped this.
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the handball play, he didn't touch the ball on the cross, he touched the ball on the rebound off the winger's chess while his back was facing the winger. A bad luck play.

twoolley repped this.
  5. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    He looks crazy high potential. Like Andy Robertson, jordi Alba, Kieran tierney etc type potential level. Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself there but his quick adaptation from USL to liga 2 is super promising.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched damn near every match JoGo played for Lou City (thanks ESPN+) and have seen him live a handful of times on my visits to my family in Louisville. The kid is absolutely the real deal. I don't think you are getting ahead of yourself. He has the talent to be a Robertson, a Tierney, or an Alba. But like any young player he has to put in the work, get opportunities, and capitalize on those said opportunities. Success won't be handed to him on a silver plater. It's all on JoGo's shoulders. Luckily, everything I know about him - thanks to a few connections at Lou City - the kid outworks everyone in the building. He's focused on crafting his game and has a great support system with his parents and his older professional bro, Johan. JoGo takes nothing for granted. IMO, he may have the highest ceiling of any US U20 player. This is the ONE player I don't want to lose to Mexico. I would be seriously gutted.

7. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, the coach for Real Sociedad B is one Xabi Alonso???

9. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.

ttrevett repped this.
  10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bet. From what I understand, he was really influential in getting JoGo to Sociedad. I also read in a Spanish article - soon after JoGo's signing - that Alonso met with his parents to provide some reassurances and that personal touch really sold JoGo on Sociedad. Alonso is in the nautral successor to Imanol Alguacil when he decides it's time for a higher profile job. I could see Spain calling after the WC. Alonso will follow in Alguacil footsteps of progressing from Socidad youth teams to B-team to 1st team.

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sociedad B won 2-1 over Sporting Gijon in stoppage time courtesy of a PK awarded to the them. JoGo played 86 minutes. I’m still reading through some tweets and articles but it sounds like JoGo was very good today aside from a high number of turnovers. Post more when I find out but here are his stats…

13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And actually likes to defend. Not shown in the clip above but as the English say…. He gets “stuck in”. JoGo’s around 5’10” of 5’11”, fairly thick, and does not mind the physicality. His on-the-ball defending is very good and his positional defending is getting better by the month. Tracking runners, tucking Inside and letting the winger pick up the wide man when his team is defending is an area of improvement.

Winoman and twoolley repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Jesus Christ!! Great talent, great attitude, playing at a top club in a Top 3 league and has one of the finest CDMs of the past 20-odd years, who won everything there was there to win, as his coach.

It's all there for him. Fingers crossed

jnielsen repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started and went 90 in a 0-0 draw at #9 Burgos. Rated 6.8 & 6.9 by Sofascore & Fotmob.

Next match is at home v. Mirandes, who is their chief rival to avoid demotion. Pretty much need a W to halve the deficit. Though Sociedad B's schedule is favorable the rest of the way, so they could vault by beating up bottom feeders.

Winoman and twoolley repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #143 m vann, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2022
    Gomez and Sociedad B keep rolling. Third clean sheet in 4 matches. Sociedad B have 10 pts from a possible 15 since JoGo entered the lineup. They had 20 pts from 26 matches before that. It reads like he had another solid match today. Nothing spectacular from what I’ve gathered just solid and got the job done.

gomichigan24, Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we all want him to progress, but spending a year or two with Xabi Alonso as your coach has got to be one of the biggest perks there can be as a young player. They pay the kid to be coached by a guy like that. Priceless.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no question Xabi is on the up-and-up as a manager. He’s the heir apparent to Imanol Alguacil with the 1st team. Algaucil - sooner than later - will have an opportunity with a higher profile job. Xabi will slide seamlessly into his seat. As it pertains to JoGo, he’s not going to be with the B team next season. He will be in the 1st team competing for that LB spot. That LB spot has been a little bit of revolving door this season. Aihen Munoz (24) and Diego Rico (29) have both spent significant time as the starting LB. Gorosabel, RB by trade, has deputized at LB a few times in a pinch. Neither Rico or Munoz has fully claimed the position. They haven't looked bad but they haven’t looked like the answer either. They’ve been meh… and probably hit their ceilings. If JoGo continues to get matches and continues to see match-to-match improvement, he’s going to have a real opportunity to claim that LB spot. I think the position is going to be wide open going into preseason.

gomichigan24 and ttrevett repped this.
  22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Showing why you're a staff member with that excellent post right there.

Dervos and m vann repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, they've made him a staff member as a sign of appreciation of that beautiful avatar.

m vann and ttrevett repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011