Jonathan dos Santos at FC Barcelona Vol. III [R]

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by sidspaceman, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Deplorable

Dr. Deplorable Member+

Mar 31, 2007
    Kansas
    What if Jona is just another Vela but at the club level? :eek:

LGRod repped this.
  2. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lol and people want this guy starting for the NT...

3. capone-e

capone-e Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Uruapan
    I always come here for good news on jona but sadly siempre salgo con un dolor de huevos. Es pura pendejes and nothing else. 24ish and has never played consistently...

El Mariachi and Kaney repped this.
  4. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Our mids aren't great. Can barely create anything. At least Jona gives hope since he's showed some promise in his very rare appearances.

5. siva66

siva66 Member+

Apr 7, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow, you must not think anything of our midfield if you think a guy who's made a total of 28 appearances in the last 5 years should be able to step into our midfield. Bit ridiculous if you ask me. Wait, let me guess, Barcelona right?

Athazagoraphobia repped this.
  6. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Our midfield is lack luster. Herrera looked lost all season with Porto but is looking good in the world cup. Other than him, yeah, I don't think all that much of our midfield. Neither awful nor amazing. Herrera is more of a box to box mid than a creative mid, anyway. Jona looks like the missing link, a distributor with vision.

Anyway, Jona is a mystery, hence why I said hope. I'd rather see what Jona has against division one or international opponents, I've seen his games with Barca B and he's good. Have you see any of his games? Probably not. I'd rather Jona get a chance and fail, than for him not to get any look.

7. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bolded confirms that you haven't even watched Herrera play for Porto.

And please stop propping up Jona like he's some midfield maestro and the missing link to our midfield. We're finally turning the page on the NT mentality-wise and you want to bring in a mental midget who's perfectly content with not even making the bench as long as he stays in Barcelona. And yes, some of us have seen him play for Barca B. Difference is that we don't delude ourselves into thinking that the level he had in the second division will carry over to the first team, especially when three different coaches have already deemed him not good enough and wanted him to gtfo.

8. siva66

siva66 Member+

Apr 7, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So you're basing your opinion on what he has done at Barca B? I have seen Jonathan play before, thank you. The times I have seen him play he has looked like a promising prospect. A prospect who needed time to prove himself against top-flight competition. Do you think practicing with Barcelona or playing 10-20 minutes at the end of a match that is already in hand proving yourself? Does making 14 La Liga appearances in the last 5 years warrant him in the starting 11? With playing time I do think he could have made a push for for inclusion on the national team, but he continued to personally sabotage his career. Now the guy is coming off major knee surgery and less appearances in the last 5 years than our current players made last season. I want the guy to succeed but he's past the prospect age and reaching what should be the peak of his career and he really has nothing to show for it. It's really a shame if you ask me. I was (and still am) rooting for him, I just think the guy needs to play and earn his appearances before we anoint anything upon him.

MEXICO WILL BE CHAMP repped this.
  9. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would never suggest Jona to:

A) Be a starter for the NT.
    B) Even be called up for the WC.

What I want to see is Jona tested as a sub for 2-3 games in some friendlies. Jona's club motivations aside, which we know nothing of, he was a good midfielder at Barca B. He was good enough to have been handed a first team contract at what was the best team in the world at the time. I don't ever see Jona breaking through at Barcelona. But lets be realistic, to expect that from ANYONE but the top 1% of top tier pros is asking for a lot. You'll hate this, but to get even looks by them, warrants us to try him out. Especially in a position that we really need.

Gio was permanently benched for years at a MUCH worse team, and it didn't effect him. If it weren't for Jona's injury, he should have been tested during qualification. Going forward, if he recovers, he should still be. I don't give shit about Jona's aspirations, but if there's even a .001% chance that he has the talent to push our NT forward, I want to see it proven right or wrong.

10. siva66

siva66 Member+

Apr 7, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gio made a move to Tottenham and when he saw the writing on the wall. When his manager at Tottenham was fired and then Redknap came in and didn't rate him what did he do? Did he sit on is ass and collect a paycheck? No, he took a loan move to a championship side, then to a Turkish squad and then a La Liga side to help them stay up. Point is he wasn't content to sit on his ass and just be a cheerleader. He wanted to work and prove himself. Tell me where Jonathan has done that?

11. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You don't know anything about Jona. You're just taking guesses. Maybe he doesn't want to go to some bottom feeder team. Maybe the contracts he's received were insulting. You don't know. The only one that does is Jonathan.

Remember that this is their (short lived) career, not entertainment like it is for you.

12. siva66

siva66 Member+

Apr 7, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #3187 siva66, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    Then what makes you think you do as well? Real Sociedad was a Champions League team last year and finished 7th this past season. Do you think teams like Real Sociedad are offering him some insulting contract? They know what the market rate is. Fact of the matter is Barcelona told him to leave a couple times and he said no. Now they are on the verge of paying him to leave. It's pretty obvious what the situation is. The only one not obvious to that fact is Jonathan. It's becoming a very sad situation for him. But he kicked ass in the Colombia friendly though, right?

13. Award Tour

Award Tour Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You see, making the same assumptions. You have no idea what's happening. You just want to paint him as idiot regardless. Outside of the 1% chance that he may be good for the NT, I have very little attachment to Jonathan.

What bugs me is the people who are so quick to make judgments without knowing shit. I see people like this IRL all the time, and they're usually the most pathetic.

14. siva66

siva66 Member+

Apr 7, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Barcelona told him to leave several times, he said no. Never plays. Those are facts. Call me pathetic all you want, it's the truth.

Roazay7 and Athazagoraphobia repped this.
  15. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I don't think Jona believing he is good enough to get minutes at Barcelona makes him a mental midget.

Delusional? Yes.

Conformist and a mental midget? Not at all.

drunkguy10, Lukato and Rojinegro1 repped this.
  16. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't think he believes that he will get minutes at all.

I think he's just happy to live the bachelor lifestyle in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, all while getting paid. I don't blame him but I do think it's mentally weak.

If the conforming to Barca B rumour also turns out to be true, I think it's fair to say that he's just happy to be where he is.

siva66 repped this.
  17. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that's not a rumor. that's just shit people in this forum have been saying for a while, and some people take it as fact. If the dude was a ok with playing for Barca B or not playing, he wouldn't have made a deal with Real Sociedad last summer.

Let's all remember that the coach asked him to stay...

MarceloH repped this.
  18. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Do you not remember that Tito actually asked him to leave and he rejected? And can you give me a source that says that Jona actually pushed for that deal? Because iirc that Real Sociedad deal keeps coming up only for Jona to mess it all up.

19. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    there's no proof of that... just journalist gossip. The Real Sociedad people have already admitted they had a deal with Jona, and they had to find a last minute replacement when he backed out.

20. Rojinegro1

Rojinegro1 Member+

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's not talking about Tito but Tata - last summer Jona had a deal done with RS and Martino told him he'd use him and last minute he stayed.

MarceloH and Puma76 repped this.
  21. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How is it journalist gossip when there's actual quotes out there? As far as Jona's situation, it's pretty much the most solid information we have so far...

Now Vilanova has fired a clear warning to the trio, by insisting that Barcelona "is not a social club".

"There are three players that could go out and the possibility that they will go out, but some could stay", said the new Blaugrana coach.

"This is not a social club", he added.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2012/08...ay-that-barcelona-is-not-a-social-club/67721/

Tbf, he later went on to try to justify the situation, but IMO, the intent is there. I've never seen a manager come out publicly and single out three players like that.

“Si me tuviera que disculpar, no tendrían ningún problema en hacerlo, pero en este caso no tengo que disculparme porque no pienso que haya dicho nada malo”, espetó a los jugadores, que en todo caso entendieron ¿alguno más que otro¿ las explicaciones del técnico cuando añadió que en el momento que comentó que el Barcelona no era un club social se refería a que aquí nadie tenía la titularidad ganada ni tampoco unos minutos asegurados por el hecho de tener ficha del primer equipo, por lo que no descartasen que si seguían hasta final de temporada se pudieran quedar con el contador de minutos jugados a cero.

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/vilanova-disculpo-ante-dos-santos-fontas-2197787

So no, it's not journalist gossip.

Now I'm assuming that you'll provide solid evidence to support your theory involving Jona setting up a RS move?

22. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Martino asked him to stay dude.

Tito was there two years ago.

23. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know but I'm questioning his initiative in general. One coach being unhappy with you should be enough to take the initiative and leave, especially when your career is starting up and you desperately need minutes. Where is that with Jona? If he had Gio's mentality he wouldn't even be around for Martino's tenure.

Look at Delofeu, Gio, and Cuenca. All different types of players but each accepted or pursued a loan/transfer for the sake of advancing their career. You just don't feel like Jona has that kind of attitude.

24. MarceloH

MarceloH Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hobbs, NM
    Club:
    El Paso Patriots
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I saw this reported too, Jona was ready to leave and he was asked to fight for a spot.

25. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Why do you insist on projections?

Jona was ready to go to RS, Martino came in and asked him to stay because he wanted to see what he had to work with aside from the known players.

It's easy for us to say it was still a bad move, which it was, but I certainly don't fault the kid for trying to make an impression on the new manager.

The kid thinks he's good enough to get minutes there. I think he can. Just not enough minutes to make him relevant.

The new coach obviously does not rate him and has told him he needs to find somewhere else to play. Let's see how this plays out.

icybauer and Rojinegro1 repped this.