Jonathan De Guzman (Feyenoord) - Will he choose Canada or Holland?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canadian_Supporter, Dec 17, 2005.

1. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
    I agree with you to a point on Fame and Money, which I will get to in a second, but I think the Patriotism is the X factor nobody really knows about. I will say if he doesn't have an older brother who he is close to, who just happens to play for Canada. Then he would probably choose Holland. However, nobody knows how strong he feels about playing for either, and the lack of development in his passport situation, coupled with a possible move to Chelsea are starting to sway the needle to playing with Canada. As where about a year ago I thought he was with Holland all the way.
    Now back to fame and money. Here is something else I see with that issue, the sport is growing big time in North America and Canada, see TFC and MLS. To play for Canada might actually turn into big bucks for him, who knows in a few years every kid might be walking around with a De Guzman jersey. It is a real possibility, the amount of soccer on tv in Canada is absolutely nuts compared to just a few years ago. You talk about only hearing about him only a few times in Canadian tv and print. Where are you too? Under a rock. The globe and mail did an article on his possible move to Chelsea, which I linked in this thread. They are always talking about him on GolTV, you are just pulling stuff out of thin air. C'mon, look at the facts, he is really thinking about Canada here.

2. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    With the whole Canada v. Netherlands debate, everyone is looking at the facts they want to look at to prove their own point. IMHO, the whole debate is pointless now until he accepts a call-up from one team or another.
    As for the Chelsea FC rumors, does the fact that he's a Canadian citizen, which makes him a member of the Commonwealth (I assume) make it easier for him to go to a English club as opposed if he was just a American coming overseas for the first time?

3. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
    I don't believe being from the Commonwealth will benefit him in anyway. The link below outlines the criteria for work permits for players.
    From what I can see this particular part would apply to De Guzman if he did not have an EU passport

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/wo...sports_and_entertainers/football_players.html

4. Yes, he chose for Canada. That's what he said in an interview with Voetbal International I think it was.

5. For the millions he won't have to choose for Oranje. That will come his way anyhow.

6. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I agree if it was just Canada + brother vs new home 50/50, could go either way, but it's not.

"lack of development in his passport situation" how do you there is no progress? as with all governments there is red tape and associated waiting periods 6-12 months, but as with all governments they move at the speed of glaciers at times. I checked the conditions for acceptance and can confirm there is no reason to deny him his application it will be granted.

Chelsea? what has Chelsea got to do with Canada? Playing for a National side like Holland has more prestige than a club side like Chelsea. Playing for Oranje will create more club interest than suiting up in CONCACAF. if he plays for Oranje his earnings will go up even more than playing just for Chelsea.

Big bucks playing for Canada? He has an agent and that agent will advise taking the known potential earnings vs maybe someday soccer will be a big sport in Canada potential earnings.

Am I under a rock? Hardly. Although you may believe the Globe and Mail is read by every person on the planet, it isn't. Soccer other than at WC time is generally confined to small fillers buried on the back pages of sports sections. In Canada soccer news has to be sought out, it isn't mainstream info.

GolTV-is specialty tv and like FSR hardly found in every Canadian home. When I see regular football reports on local tv and the national systems Global, CTV, CBC, City carrying regularly televised games I'll agree Soccer has finally been accepted by the media. Until then it's niche market in Canada and JdG and his agent both know it.

Do I pull stuff out of thin air? noooooo I actually look at the facts as I know them and form an opinion.

feyenoordsoccerfan-

"For the millions he won't have to choose for Oranje. That will come his way anyhow."

Just for a moment think like a player agent...Which option will make more money(salary and endorsements) for the player and his agent(you). Playing for his club and Canada in CONCACAF or playing for his club and Holland in the Euro and WC? If it's strictly a cash consideration playing for Holland will have a better financial/fame return. As an agent you would have to advise your charge which is the most lucrative. Yes he will still be a millionaire playing for Canada but it won't compare to what he can make if he plays for Holland.

How often does a player take less money so he can play where he wants? It does happen but usually with older players who have past their prime and made their millions and want to finish their playing days at home.

7. Trabant

Trabant New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    You're right, I was confused by thinking he was still struggling to make a decision but it seems he already chose Canada.

Think it was a good decision by him because I doubt he will ever make the Dutch NT although he's pretty talented.
    Now it's up to Jonathan to do the same.

8. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    wyly - most european leagues place restrictions on the number of "Foreigners" that can dress for any given game. La liga, for example, permits 3 non-EU players max. This is why E'to, Dos Santos and others with Barcelona have gotten their spanish citizenship. So while work permits will not be an issue, not counting as a foreginer is an advantage so even if he weerplanning to play for Canada, he'd be nuts not to get his dutch passport. Thus, I think you are placing a little too much emphasis on the acquisition of a dutch passport.

Nevertheless, I think he is leaning Dutch.

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Its good news, and now lets get Arena to manage the team. Its time someone fixes up the CSA, and bring back to shape. Canada should qualify for the 2010 WC, and I believe its a very good fit look at what Canada did this year in the GC, and Canada did not have all their top players playing. Friend, Occean, and others who did not make the trip.

10. feyenoord_for_life

feyenoord_for_life New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Zoetermeer
    In Holland, little to nothing has been said in regards to his future.

For those of you who just know the name, but dont really know the player, I think he is best as a CAM or central attacking midfielder. He is an excellent passer, with great stamina, great at free-kicks and has the ability to see and read the game. Currently he is in fantastic form for Feyenoord and is getting better each year. Sometimes I have to remind myself he is only 20 years old because of it.

He has so much potential, that he could be one of the greats in the game. Having said that, there is a lot of competition in that position, mostly in the form of Sneijder (RM) and van der Vaart (Hamburg), and they are both in their early 20s as well.

I am a little unfamiliar with the CSA but I cannot see why they wouldnt hire a reputable coach, improve some of their facilities and do everything possible to entice this guy to the NT. He could easily be the face of Canadian soccer for the next 15-20 years.

There is no comparison to Hargreaves from a playing stand point. In 5 years de Guzman will be one of the best in the world. Id say the average soccer fan may not even know who Hargreaves is.

11. Viruk42

Viruk42 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    Because it's the CSA. While they don't necessarily do it on purpose, it seems like they do more to screw up our National Team's future, than to help it.

12. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    For the KNVB it's irrelevent until he has his citizenship, there nothing much for the CSA to say until he declares where he wants to play. What could they possibly say to entice him, promise him a starting position vs Belize or the Bahamas?

Competition from Sneijder and van de Vaart, Seedorf (aging)...there is nothing wrong with depth to cover injuries and suspensions. Even if he was on the Holland bench at the Euro or WC that's still a better place to watch the action than from infront of his TV.

Why wouldn't the CSA hire a reputable coach? ...Lack of money and politics...Facilities-it is improving but that really isn't the problem, there many african countries with worse facilties and than us but they could still thrash our NT. It's the politics that f*** us up, too many people who know nothing about the game having a say in how it's developed and run. Notice the 4 of the best(IMO) players to ever come from Canada- van't Schip, Hargreaves Forrest and the elder de Guzman were all developed outside the country in Holland, Germany, England and France.

13. Patticus226

Patticus226 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Just remember what happened to Kalou when he tried to get citizenship to play for Holland under Van Basten. I hope that his playing with his brother can tip him to deciding to play with canada. As he is such a good player this may make the next hargreaves out there decide to stick with canada instead of jumping ship to play for England/Holland/Andorra/Whoever.

14. seaner1975

seaner1975 New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    He is sure to play for Canada now. I just sent a facebook note to him asking to play for us. How can he resist that.

15. The Kalou case was different from the Guzmans one. Van Basten wanted to take Kalou with him to the World Cup and therefor they applied for a quick naturalization procedure, given the fact that Kalou is an extraordinary talent. Otherwise he would have to wait another two years to get the Dutch nationality. The law gives the opportunity to speed up that proces when it concerns people that have special talents, like musicians, dancewrs, painters, scientists etc. But at that time the Dutch Liberal Party tried to gain from a xenophobic stance so the Minister of Foreigners (no, not a spelling error) Affairs refused time after time, ignoring sentences by Judges, to grant Kalou the Dutch passport. She based that on advice from exxperts. Who those experts were, we never were told, but they are better at that field than Cruyff, Van Basten, Gullit, van Hanegem, Koeman etc. All former Dutch superstars aknowledged his extraordinary talent, but she lied about her experts to turn down the ruling of the judges, only to gain votes with the racists in the Netherlands.
    JdG on the other hand cannot be refused the nationality, unless he is a criminal, as he fullfills al the requirements to get that.

16. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    I hope he has commited a crime.

17. ljubiana

ljubiana New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Victoria, Canada
    Let's get CSIS over there! it's time for entrapment.

18. Now Foppe de Haan wants to take him to the Olympic games. He was mentioned along with a load of other Feyenoord Youngsters. I wonder if playing for the Olympic team does cap you.

19. simon99

simon99 New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Montreal, Canada
    U-23 qualifications will cap you for sure. It's a FIFA competition.

20. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd be willing to bet a pretty penny he doesn't take the call. He'll commit for WC or Euro, not for some U23 squad.

21. SoccerNewf

SoccerNewf Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Pasadena, NL
    I'd wish he'd make up his mind already. My guess is when/if he goes to Chelsea or any big European club. Then he will tell us his decision.

And I was thinking about it today. Canada plays so few games, I think somebody has to start getting us more games. Even if they start fielding a team that is made up of mostly players playing in Europe. I really think this is something the CSA has to do. But we all know how that organization works.

Doesn't benefit De Guzman or anybody for that matter to be playing so few games.

22. Foppe has set his visor on the Olympic Gold Medal and so have the guys who qualified with Foppe for the Games (We as the European Champions are already qualified!!).
    How many soccer players can say that they are Olympic Champions, not that much, so the lure is very real!!!

23. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    He said as much earlier, he had no interest in playing U18/19/20/21 whatever...he wanted concentrate on his club play with Feyenoord...I would be surprised if he accepts

SoccerNewf-"I'd wish he'd make up his mind already. My guess is when/if he goes to Chelsea or any big European club. Then he will tell us his decision."

-he'll tell us his decision when he gets his citizenship, he'll declare for Netherlands I'm sure of it, now.

"And I was thinking about it today. Canada plays so few games, I think somebody has to start getting us more games. Even if they start fielding a team that is made up of mostly players playing in Europe. I really think this is something the CSA has to do. But we all know how that organization works."

Agree 100%...CSA is screwed up but a lack of funds put a limit on how many friendlies the NT plays. If we had the cash we should have two teams, one Euro based so Euro based players (who will make up the bulk of our starting 11) can play their matches there avoiding trans-Atlantic travel and club conflicts...and the 2nd squad of North American based players who play their matches in the Americas, these players would provide the depth of our squad.

"Doesn't benefit De Guzman or anybody for that matter to be playing so few games."

De Guzman and everyone else gets enough matches, in some cases too many, the lack of friendlies hurt cohesive team play the most.

24. SparkBomba

SparkBomba New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Toronto
    This Kills soccer in Canada and the thing is I don't blame the Kid.

It's freakin hockey in Canada 24/7. Then when the kid wants to go to a soccer country Canadian's get upset.

Jonathan go get yours...Soccer in Canada is screwed up and will screw you too.

When the people at the top show some commitment to soccer and start taking it seriously, then players will start taking soccer in Canada seriously and commit to the progam.

Until then we will lose many quality players...and I don't blame them. Soccer Canada is getting theirs, why shouldn't the players.