Jonathan De Guzman (Feyenoord) - Will he choose Canada or Holland?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canadian_Supporter, Dec 17, 2005.

1. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    Im just going by what I know. No need to be carring on stupid. Jamaicam heitage wise in the UK have quite a few good young players,fyi

2. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    canada has some good players like josh simpson and atiba hutchinson.

3. hello from the netherlands, better known as Holland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello from Holland!

I stumbled on discussions about Jonathan de Guzman, who plays for my favourite team.
    I can understand that many of you feel awkward about the chance that JdG chooses for the orange team.
    On of you stated that it will be good for his career. With this I donot agree. He will have a great career, even if he doesnot play for the Dutch national team. Sadly though at the end your career is not measured in the amount of money you have earned with soccer, but by the prizes you have won.
    And one prize, or better two prizes stand on top, the first being a winner of the world cup and the second being the winner of the european championship.
    In both accounts there is not much of a chance for JdG to win either as player for the national canadian team. So, if he chooses to play in the orange shirt, can we blame him?
    By the way, many national team coaches get sick seeing what players we have to leave home, even superstar strikers like Roy Makaay.

4. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Look, when you come on to a Canada board and post some non-sense about the Jamaican fed. not being interested in a top talent like Jonathan DeG. and don't back it up with any proof whatsoever, it is called trolling. this is what you may "know", but you have no "evidence" and don't provide it. so...please stop carrying on stupidly...

5. BBC_

BBC_ Member

Jan 5, 2005
    London
    Listen Son. Not everything could be backed up with evidence. Thats what I was told by rellable people. They might not of known how good he was or it might of been the other way around, him saying no.
    Btw as I said Jamaica have tons of players via descent who are in the UK. e.g Jermain Pennant, SWP(commited now to England. also of Grenadian Origin) Lennon of Tottenham, Nathan Ellington of W.B.A im not even continue because the list is endless.
    Dont bother talk about Jamaica as if they have no players to choose from or if you have a better pool.

6. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's what the discussion is all about. The question for many of us is "What is more important to Jonathan, his country or his trophy shelf?"

Time will tell and you may very well be right.

Thanks for popping by.

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    You caught me there. Excuse me while I tell my wife that a guy on an internet board has found out my raging homosexuality.

8. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    :rolleyes:

9. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Listen junior, you're the fool popping your head in here talking smack and calling me names right off the bat.

See, when you start quoting "reliable sources" and then you admit they could be wrong or that you have it the other way around it kind of makes you look like....an....I-D-I-O-T. now beat it before i take my belt off....

10. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And please, it's not reliable, it's rellable people.

11. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    This sounds like Owen Hargraves all over again. We produce decent players, but we're doing nothing internationally if we cant keep them. Funny how if this were hockey there wouldn't even be a question about who he would play for and the pride that comes with that achievement, playing soccer for Team Canada shouldn't be any different...

12. Zezinho

Zezinho New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Mississauga, ON
    I agree.

13. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    At least with Hargreaves, he actually had some English blood.

The Hargreaves comparison would work if like de Guzman decided to play for the Philippines or Jamaica. This is even worse though, if de Guzman ends up playing for Holland.

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i have a feeling he will since canada wont make any improvement if they get a foreign coach and stick with the right players.

15. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I disagree. The Whore had never lived in England and decided to play for "daddy's country" because he "felt English" growing up. Canada is made of immigrants (look at our national team). Deguzman has lived in Holland for 6 years and will become a citizen under routine Dutch law. He'd be a much more legitimate pick for Holland than the Whore was for England. Lil Jon has a more legitimate claim of "feeling Dutch" than the Whore ever did.

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    its common sense if canada had a winning program it would make there decision easier but i agree with you hargraves is a rat and really he isnt playing well for england and for deguzman,he will probably be a dutch citizen.

it comes down to the love for there country just like in hockey they carry that passion within.

it seems these guys are almost embarassed to ve canadian.

17. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Ehh... I guess it's hard to say. I was born and raised here in the United States to Brazilian parents, and even if I was ever good at soccer, I just could never see myself representing the US. To be honest, I've never really felt that American. I find it even hard to believe with de Guzman. He moved there to play soccer. I mean, this is different than like kids and teenagers moving to new countries because they're refugees and stuff...like Adu, and some of the players that play in Scandinavia who were from wore-torn Yugoslavia or something. Whatever.

18. What would happen if Canada chooses a Dutch coach for the next run? If a country like Trinidad @ Tobago, that consists of a few specs in the ocean and a population the size of Toronto or Montreal manages to qualify, why can't you?
    A Dutch coach would help, because T & T hired the former Feyenoord Coach Beenhakker. At the same time Australia, that last qualified 32 years ago, were managed by Hiddink and also qualified.
    I read several interviews with Australian players in australian newspapers. You would think they know how to play the game, because most of them earn their money in the Premier League. But they were surprised by the way Hiddink made them play and think! So what are those coaches in England doing?
    And is there a lesson to be learned by Canada? You guys, Canadians and Yanks alike, have a perfect professional attitude in sports, and talent is not restricted to a particular country, so it must be possible for Canada to qualify.
    Perhaps a reputed coach like Hiddink would make talents choose Canada instead of for instance Holland.
    By the way, de Guzman did not skip the sub 20-team matches because he doesnot want to play for Canada! He skipped because he did want to make sure that he would make it in the first team of Feyenoord. So there must be enough chance to persuade him to play for the maple team.
    He was flattered that superstars like van Basten would like to see him play for the Orange team and who wouldnot be!!! But that's something different from what seems to be already considered as a shut and closed case by your press. Get in touch with the guy himself and hear it from himself!

19. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    That is true enough. He has not signed on with the Dutch U-20 which, unlike perhaps, the full Dutch national team, he would be a lock to make.

Also true. Although the comments coming out of the Deguzman family generally are not very promising. No actual decision has been made so hope remains.

Generally on your comments re: a Dutch coach, I think most Canadian fans would agree that a top dutch coach would be a great thing for the national team. Paying for a top Dutch coach is another thing.

20. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Despite all the advances we've made with the budget, we still need more money..

21. X-Caper

X-Caper New Member

May 16, 2004
    Canada
    feyenoordsoccerfan: excellant post, you put some things into perspective.

well, I hope all is not lost, but I'm not giving much hope that he will play for/in canada. Can you imagine though is he did? He could beocme the 1st true superstar in canada soccer. Kids looking up to him, TV commercials,and all . . .ahh, the dream.

On another note, can someone tell me if there is ever a chance that owen hargraves can play for canada? Isn't there some sorta rule that states that if a player does not play for a national team within 5 years, then they can play for another national team, if the rules of nationality apply? or is it that once played, you are forever that nationality?

I was just thinking if Owen doesn't play for England in the next 5 years, can he come and play for canada? "Could" this happen

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    once you're capped at the senior level, there's no chance of playing for another team. the exception is if you're capped at the youth level, like U21. And, I think then, there is some sort of waiting period...and FIFA has to thoroughly review the case. And even then, it's a bit iffy. FIFA recently rejected Daniel Alves, a Brazilian, from playing for Spain, even though he acquired a Spanish passport and has never been capped at the senior level for Brazil...only at U21. They are currently reviewing Marcos Senna's case, which is likely to be processed.

One big exception is if you're country is split or united...so hope that Canada takes over England or something. hah. I bet you Hargreaves is really regretting the decision now though. I doubt he will be called up in the near future.

23. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    The Whore will most likely make the English WC squad, but he has become a late game defensive sub. I think about 75% of his caps have been as a sub.

This leads me to believe that in a few years he'll be totally pushed out of the England squad. We'll have to wait and see though.

24. well yes,
    it happened when the former yugoslav republic did split into seperate countries. So maybe if you get out of the common wealth it might count as bcoming independent

25. I donot know the number of canadian soccer fans, but you could get him noticed commercially by making him visible in canada. The article in the Star is what it takes, when it is followed up by letters and emails to the paper.
    By the way, you could point out to JdG that the dutch have an awesome young line up for the midfield, so that he can only be considered as a broadening of an already excellent base. Make him realize that he has to stand up to guys like Maduro, Sneyder, vn der Vaart, van Bommel, Affelay, Aisati (who is also compared to Zidane by the same super stars that compared JdG to Zidane), van Persy. I have the feeling I am forgetting a guy or two. So being the catalist that propels the game in Canada to higher skies could be tempting!