Jon-Paul Pittman at Grimsby Town

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by arsenalfc08, Feb 2, 2009.

1. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rename him Elijah Price

2. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    He has an ankle problem and will miss this weekends game against Bury. It is the 3rd missed game for him. Not had the best of luck with injuries this year. He only has a few more months on his contract so the injuries aren't helping

3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Wycombe are promoted to League One after beating Southend 3-1. Pittman came on for the last 2 minutes or so in injury time.

Stats for the season. 18 games, 6 starts and 12 sub appearances scoring 4 goals. 3 of the goals came after his return from the knee injury.

He also scored 4 goals for Wycombe in the Berks and Bucks Senior FA cup competition.

His contract with Wycombe expires on June 30th

4. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    JPP was not offered a new contract by Wycombe manager Garry Waddock. He is now a free agent http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10430~2357008,00.html

In 81 games over a 2 year career with Wycombe Pittman started 41 games and made 40 sub appearances. He scored 15 goals and provided 6 assists.

He scored 4 goals in 2 games for Wycombe in their Berks and Bucs cup competition this year but I would consider that a reserve team competition.

Edit: Stuart Beavon was offered and accepted a new deal. This was reported to be JPP's competition according to fans and that Wycombe would not offer both of them new deals it would be one or the other. Beavon signed a 2 year deal.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Which MLS team could use another scoring option?

6. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I could see him going to MLS. A lot of lower league English players have made the move and have done well.

I'm sure he just wants to go to a team where he can play regularly. He never liked being the "impact sub" at Wycombe. He expressed his thoughts about that a lot especially after his impressive goal scoring in pre-season, and after he scored some goals for the reserves once he returned from his knee injury. You have take the level of competition into account in both cases but he made it pretty clear he wanted to start. With that in mind even if he was offered a new deal I don't think he would have accepted it.

7. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JPP hasn't left England for any extended stay since he was 8. Unless he's been in contact with Bob or USSF on how to get into the NT picture he'll likely move to another 3-4th tier team in England.

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I think he knows MLS is the way to go.

The interview was from 2009 http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=5288

9. Crawleyfan1

Crawleyfan1 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I hear a host of league 2 clubs re after JP, US INCLUDED, oxford, crewe, torquay and gillingham are all thought to be chasing him as well as interest from league 1 clubs.

I worry if he goes to a league 1 club and doesn't play he will be off the radar...i think he should come back to us! we have money now and i believe Steve Evans is going for promotion again.

10. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I thought about Crawley as well. I think Evans likes him, when you look at JP's career he played the most under Evans at least in terms of starts which is what JP prefers. Although thats when he was playing in the 5th division. Looks like Craig McAllister left Crawley so that opens up a striker spot I guess.

The 5 months off with the knee injury hasn't helped with Wycombe and attracting new interest IMO. He just didn't do enough this season. He had a strong start back after the injury scoring 3/4 league goals so that is something.

Some Wycombe fans seem happy that he left saying he wasn't cut out for League One even though he was their 2nd top scorer behind Matt Harrold that season.

11. Crawleyfan1

Crawleyfan1 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I think he got forgotten with his injury so thats been tough but his pre season tear and what he did in league 1 will certainly get him a decent move. I just hope it can be us!

Injuries are part and parcel of football so i cant see managers using that as an excuse not to sign him...particularly when his injuries probably stemmed from not getting enough GT and thats no fault of his own. Always performed well his goal ratio per minute is still very high

12. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Has signed a 2 year deal with Oxford United in League Two

http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10342~2362864,00.html

Scored the tying goal for Wycombe against Oxford to make it 2-2 http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/2011/04/pittman-scores-for-wycombe-in-2-2-draw.html#more

Oxford with go to America on a pre-season tour apparently playing some NPSL sides. They have a partnership with SeaCoast United in the USA who play in the NPSL http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13207629.stm

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I thought for sure JPP would have stayed in League One. Nonetheless, I'm hopeful that Oxford is an ambitious club that has more than a fighting chance for promotion next season and JPP is a key pickup. Just glancing at their roster, there are just a few names I even recognize. Only recently signed Tony Capaldi (know for his long throws) and Asa Hall, a decent midfielder, are only ones that ring a bell.

14. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Wycombe were in League Two this season but were promoted to League One. Pittman's contract was up at the end of the season and it wasn't renewed. Other than his time at Crawley his best scoring season was in League One. However, he missed 5 months of this season and only scored 4 goals, I don't think he did enough to garner a ton of interest from League One clubs.

Oxford finished in 12th I think this season their first in League Two for a while so not terrible. Constable and Craddock combined for 30 goals this season.

It only took him about a week after being released to sign with another club so thats positive I guess.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They're ambitious enough; brand new stadium (only 3 sides built but the foundations for the fourth stand have already been laid), with a pretty good manager; should have come up last season. Will most likely be making a push for promotion next season.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is JPP going to be a bench player again though? If they have 2 productive forwards?

17. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I don't know much about Oxford's formation or their forwards but wiki says James Constable is 6'2 so I'm guessing he's more of a target, strong forward. Maybe they could play with 3 up front with Constable in the middle and Craddock and JPP on either side?

Pittman said in his interview with Oxford's video player that he can play on the wing or upfront and just wants to get forward and score goals.

I hope he gets more starts with Oxford. He really disliked being an "impact sub" at Wycombe.

18. Crawleyfan1

Crawleyfan1 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    oxford play 4-3-3 i presume jpp will be on the left. i hear it was between oxford and a handful of small league 1 clubs.

Oxford average 10,000 fans a week and are the only club in the football league in profit. Great move for him, if he stays fit he will prove himself. Oxford are bigger than any other in this league. Gutted we didnt get him back

19. Crawleyfan1

Crawleyfan1 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
  20. Crawleyfan1

Crawleyfan1 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Oxford are having their pre season in Boston, US this July. Might be a way for JPP to catch someones eye for nationals

21. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll have to play at a higher level. He wont get a look in League Two.

22. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Oxford are playing NPSL teams 4th division amateur teams so I doubt anyone from the National team will be paying attention.

They have a partnership with an NPSL team Seacoast United so that is the reason they are going to be in the USA. They will play Seacoast United and a couple other NPSL teams that are nearby.

Pittman did live in Boston for a while as a kid though he said in a recent interview so that is kinda interesting.

This guy Paul Dyer trialed with Oxford a few years ago because of their partnership with Seacoast United https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1124029&highlight=paul+dyer

23. Crawleyfan1

Crawleyfan1 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I wanted to make a new Pittman - Oxford thread but it wouldn't let me.

He played his first game for Oxford today against non league Didcot town, the first pre season friendly before the trip to the US on Monday.

JPP scored 2 and is looking in good shape judging from the picture of him on the right of the match report.

http://www.oufc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10342~2389547,00.html

im hoping he can have a good season and join up with Crawley again n ext year when we are promoted! :p

24. Crawleyfan1

Crawleyfan1 New Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Have just seen, JPP was playing as a winger yesterday and still managed to score 2. He will be playing more of a right wing position this year with the oxford manager wanting him to cut in and shoot on his left foot.

exciting season ahead. Crawley are favourites to go up but Oxford have a stronger, quicker front line than we do.