Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s also clearly a short-term solution.

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's 31 and Man U would like to reduce the wear and tear on him so he can stay healthy and be available for their bigger games.

They'll definitely play a ton of games though and they probably like that Adams can also play right back if needed (as I think they want to move on from Wan-Bissaka as well).

But I'd prefer Adams go somewhere that he's going to be the clear cut starter.

3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    It’s just not that cut and dry.

I can’t count the amount of platters he served to the Leeds “forwards” who would flub it.

Not a few time. More like a few times per game. It was horrendous. Hard to watch.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not saying Tyler should go there, I’m saying it makes sense for Msn U to sign him as a backup.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    But short of a bout of insanity, why would Adams even consider they?

6. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He's already making a lot. He isn't captain of the USA because he's stupid.

ChicagoVT and bct81 repped this.
  8. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because Casemiro is not young and one injury could put Tyler in the starting slot.

Eliezar repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    3rd in the EPL?
    And will likely be higher than most other clubs in the standings for a year or two at least
    10hag
    He will be playing with a very high quality crew
    Red is the best uniform color
    He's optimistic and thinks he can cut it there

10. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players on big 6 teams are typically paid more than those on lower table teams like Leeds. Plus recent articles report that all Leeds players’ contracts have provisions requiring a 50-60% salary reduction in the case of relegation. Adams could almost certainly make more playing for Manchester United than he’s making now at Leeds, let alone than what he would make if they get relegated.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Stupid people go for the highest dollar (see Ronaldo, C). Smart people consider the whole thing from many perspectives. As I said above, Adams is definitely not stupid.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Adams will have many options in many leagues if Leeds goes down.

tomásbernal and Winoman repped this.
  13. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. But he’ll have the same issue in terms of playing time at any of the big 6 teams, and those teams will pay more than others. I’m no saying that’s what Adams should do. Im just answering the question as to why he “would even consider it.”

14. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Ronaldo is stupid for taking a $75M a year contract at age 38? Interesting

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He is already filthy rich.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    My wife is a career counselor at a university. One of the most important findings from psycho-social research in "careers" is that money can make you happier going from poor to middle class (duh). But once you are comfortable, more money doesn't increase happiness. So going from very rich to very very rich is unlikely to bring more joy to your life. I wouldn't go play in Saudi Arabia for any amount of money if I had other options.

Excellency, Zinkoff, Deeneaus and 5 others repped this.
  17. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Ronaldo is so rich, he could never spend all the money he makes just on the interest his money generates each year. At that point, it isn't about the money, it's about ego.

majspike, tomásbernal, Zinkoff and 2 others repped this.
  18. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    But I wouldn't be opposed to Adams going to a club where he's a nominal backup. Big clubs play so many games, he would still get a ton of playing time. Sometimes you just need to bet on yourself and take the opportunity when it comes. If it doesn't work out, he has plenty of time to find a different situation.

gnk repped this.
  19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would! He's an amazing player.

20. bakerkdb

bakerkdb Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    So!

21. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, for a lot of players, especially a guy like Ronaldo at the top, before anything -- family, money, fame, team fit -- they are competitive. Money is a competition and when viewed through that lense, money moves make a ton of sense.

LouisianaViking07/09 and twoolley repped this.
  22. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MIT (Sloan School) did a very interesting study back in 2013 or so that analyzed "happiness and motivation" in two different cohorts (western Europe/US and China) among various career groups. They concluded that up to a certain level (the economic comfort zone) folks in all careers are directly motivated by pay/benefits. Beyond that pay level, they are motivated primarily by autonomy (the ability to control ones own happiness and job satisfaction) .... while the real dollar/Euro/Yuan amounts are different in western Europe/US/China the trend was the same in both. To your point - once you are "comfortable" - that autonomy is what drives you. I would think Tyler would be motivated by Scum (sorry - Man U) if Ten Haag clearly laid out a path for success for him at Old Trafford - I keep thinking that Casemiro will retire at some point and platooning him with Tyler will extend that point ... could also be great for Casemiro to mentor Tyler along the way. Guess we shall have to see.

23. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Exactly!! Which is why I think he'd earn himself plenty of minutes including lots of starts.

twoolley and comoesa repped this.
  24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I wouldn't mind seeing TA at Manchester United. It seems like they've righted the ship recently, they were a bit of a mess there for awhile. Given his injury history, I'm cool with TA being a platoon guy at a big club. Manchester United will be in four competitions with 60+ games likely next year. There should be plenty of minutes working with an aging Casemiro.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am of the opinion that CR7's "happiness" (which is probably technically a misnomer, but he would see it as happiness) is strongly tied to him playing Footie in front of adoring fans.

As for Tyler, if he wants to up his rep, he'll have to compete with good players. Man U has a good coach (supposedly getting a 5 year deal, irrc) good players, good support, lots of games and a great player who is getting close to the end of his "3000 min a year" mileage. No sane player should want to play all games at a CL-level, cup-competing top 4 club - that sooooo many grueling minutes. If he can play 50% of ManU's minutes? That's the route to a long career, esp with his issues.