Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm talking about this season. Rodri, Casemiro, Caicedo, Neves, Rice, Palhinha, Doucore, Partey, Guimaraes, Hojbjerg (I'm probably missing a name or two here and some will quibble about whether one or two of these are DM's) have all been better than Tyler.

No, it isn't. I shudder to think where Fulham would be without Joao Palhinha, who's probably been the PL signing of the season so far (in the non Haaland division). And look, I don't necessarily disagree that if we're ranking for "impact on his team" Adams might rank higher than some other DM's, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how they've performed this season, and in that case there are comfortably ~8 PL DM's who've been better than him this season.

2. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am simply by going on looking at the past five years of EPL history with the bottom 7 teams and their GD after (GF and GA as well) after 38 matches. Trying to be objective and numerical .. that is the source of my posting. Today was a good start (despite the draw) - they did not yield a goal.

freisland, ardubois3 and dark knight repped this.
  3. nthemsum

nthemsum Member

Jan 14, 2006
    boise,id
    Did a great job today. Brentford had to connect with long balls in earnest today without much use of the midfield. Fans egging him in to shoot at times when he is able to bring the ball all the way up to the top of the box. He hit a few of those at Leipzig but seems reluctant to have a shot with leeds.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes, but - to state the bleedin' obvious - staying up is about having a cleaner dirty shirt when it comes to scoring goals as well as conceding them. On that metric, Leeds are looking better than people think. Yes, they're leaking goals, but so are the two teams directly above them, Leicester and Forest, who've conceded 35 each to Leeds' 33 and while the teams below Leeds are generally better at defending than they are they're also worse at scoring, sometimes by considerable margins. That gives Leeds a sizeable goal difference advantage - sometimes a double-digit advantage - over everyone below them.

15th Leeds, 18 points, GF 26 GA 33, GD -7
    16th West Ham, 18 points, GF 17 GA 25 , GD -8
    17th Wolves, 17 points, GF 12 GA 30, GD -18
    18th Bournmth, 17 points, GF 19 GA 42, GD - 23
    19th Everton, 15 points, GF 15 GA 28, GD -13
    20th Sthampton, 15 points, GF 17 GA 35, GD -18

It's also worth noting that Leeds also have a game in hand over everyone around them. That's against Brighton (park the bus), Arsenal (pray) or Liverpool (you never know). Even if they lose that one, if they tighten their defence just a little - and today was a good start - they should be OK.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Don't disagree at all (I posted in one of these threads I thought they were the most likely of the "bottom 7 or 8" to stay up, esp. if management don't lose their heads. Brentford pressed pretty hard at the end there. The marking on that late header was pretty lax, but otherwise Leeds did a very decent job of locking it down for the last 15 mins - and managed to mount what could have been some dangerous counters. Today is a perfect example of the kind of game Leeds need to lock down going forward and they did what they needed to do. My guess is we'll see a few more of these on the back 19 than we did on the front. If Leeds can keep defending like they did today they'll be laughing.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If Wes wants to know when he should be happy or unhappy he can just check in here

8. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Palhinha is the only player beating TA in "Tackles+Ints", "Tackles Won", and "Dribblers taken on" across all players (not just midfielders) in the league (per 90')... but Tyler has a better success rate when it comes to challenging dribblers.

Is Tyler Adams the "most impactful" DM in the league? IDK, that's subjective, and Tyler is average when it comes to his offensive abilities. But it's hard to deny that he has been one of the best midfielders in the league when it comes to defense, so I don't think it's outlandish to call him "one of the best" this season...

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  10. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    What makes Patrick Bamford a PL player rather than, say, Brandon Vasquez?

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams is too good for Leeds. He continues to be one of the lone bright spots for the squad. Consistently good game in and game out. I can't see how this team is going to stay up. They are so bad in the final 3rd and miss way too many easy passes.

12. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 recoveries on the day today. Truly an excellent match outside of his rather dumb yellow.

13. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Probably his 21 goals and 12 assists across his career in the Premier League.

I have disliked Bamford's performances since Marsch took over, but he hasn't been this dreadful his entire career. It's clear to me that injuries have affected his abilities. Either that, or Bielsa had him on a pre-match IV filled with Bugs Bunny's "Secret Stuff", cus the man was putting them away under Bielsa...

usnroach repped this.
  14. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Good Bamford was a long time ago now

Mt Stone@ and dspence2311 repped this.
  15. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bamford is just poor ... why he starts over Rutter given the last few games is surprising to me.

Harrison bolo'd two free kicks ...

I actually don't worry about the goal Meslier gave up ..... he is a great keeper and just made one mistake ...

but the lack of LUFC ability now to generate offense is just bad.

Blame it on Marsch .... maybe some ... but I think Bamford and Harrison need to sit and sub in for a few games .... hopefully they will get a coach in who they can help them fight to avoid relegation.

Tyler and Wes will do just fine ... Brendon (if relegated) will end up a season in the Championship.

dspence2311 repped this.
  16. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    20/21 he had 17 goals and 8 assists. I don't really like defending Bamford, he's clearly not the same player since his injuries, but it's not absurd for a manager to believe that he's worth starting when he came in 4th place in the Golden Boot race just 2 seasons ago.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else in this thread: Tyler will be fine no matter what happens this season. But players like Bamford, Aaronson, Firpo, and Greenwood are Championship bound.

17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Thats a long time ago in the footballing form context

18. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    The problem is that when your only in-form striker is injured and your options are "young guy who has scored 12 goals in any top-flight league across his entire career" and "old guy who scored 17 goals in the Premier league 2 seasons ago" you're kinda between a rock and a hard place, and survivorship bias will probably lead you to the guy with more goals...

usnroach and The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #5894 The Irish Rover, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Dreadful results for Leeds today. Losing to Everton is bad, but it can happen.

Far, far more serious are the wins for Southampton and Bournemouth, which moves the Saints to within a point of Leeds and the Cherries two points clear of them.

If something doesn't change - and radically - this could be the weekend that they were de facto relegated.

bct81 repped this.
  20. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me, or did Leeds look much better under Marsch? It seems like under Marsch they typically looked to be the better team but would lose or draw due to ridiculous defensive errors and/or missing multiple sitters. Now they just look bad.

mace, wsmaugham, paks and 12 others repped this.
  21. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all three bottom teams won today ... that just happens almost never.

22. Alemannia

Alemannia Member

Alemannia Aachen
    Sep 16, 2021
    I feel like they pulled the trigger too early on Jesse. Plus to get the “new manager bump”, you actually need a new manager.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Before the WC break Leeds's Goals per game ratio was 1.57 but it had fallen to 0.67 after the Forest game and their XG, which used to be 1.5, had fallen to 1.04 - and 0.21 for the second half of Jesse's last game against Forest. As for their shot conversion ratio, it had halved from 12% to 6%.

Scoring goals when you're on top is what wins games and Leeds just couldn't do that, over and over again. There's no doubt that Marsch could get a tune out of the players, but the team never gelled and analysts were distinctly unimpressed, with comments like "frantic" and "where are the patterns of play?" being bandied about. It's a team game and if players are playing well, at least in the first half, but not winning and the team performances are getting worse, things can only end one way

usnroach repped this.
  24. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I made a post about this in Jesse's YA thread, but I feel like the selling point of "Marsch is the best candidate to take over for Bielsa" was at best a lie and at worst a sign that Victor Orta isn't a great director of football... Bielsa's teams did the same pressing patterns as Marsch, but their patterns of play in possession on the wings was complex and beautiful, whereas Marsch's ideology is (and has frequently been) "jam it down the middle of the field, because that's where the goal is".

I still think Bielsa would've led them back to The Championship because he's just a stubborn as Marsch in terms of ideology, but at least he has more ideas and ways to hurt opponents when "his guys" are all healthy. The core problem is that the squad is missing talent and discipline in the back-line, and that's not something that Bielsa nor Marsch could've fixed, apparently. I mean, the moves for Wober and Mckennie appear fine, but buying Rutter over the winter is a puzzler... LB has been a problem position since their promotion, and the person they've brought in to fill that void (Firpo) has been DIRE. They couldn't find a single suitable candidate to throw $30m at? Really??

The Irish Rover repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    From my feed, won't bother with the link

Now, Football Insider has firmed up five players Chelsea are listening to offers for. According to the online outlet, they are ready to sell Mason Mount, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Hakim Ziyech, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Conor Gallagher.

I think the players mentioned for sale are the right ones although Gallagher has been lively from what I've seen of him and I would keep him. Having said that, adding Tyler to the Chelsea squad will give them just what they need to get moving in the right direction.

I thought Adams' game declined after the physical altercation to end the first half today v. Everton but his first half was otherwise brilliant. He's the best YA at this time.