Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been the knock on him for a while and I am just not seeing it for Leeds. He has been way more progressive with his passing since arriving there. Just take another look at the game tying goal yesterday. DMs pass the ball backwards all the time... even the best of them. Any Leeds Fans that have a problem with the way Adams has played for them should just stop following the sport. IMO, he has been that good.

MayaDempsey repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think Adams can improve in this area (turning with the ball, rather than passing it back), but …

He doesn’t need to impress the fans (or us) but rather his manager.

Very likely in Marsch’s full-speed-ahead system, Adams has been instructed/encouraged to take a safety-first approach.

Adams understands that the cost of a mistake - a loose touch, a wrong turn, getting muscled off the ball - is high.

Adams could improve his spatial awareness, but - at all the levels I’ve played or watched - the turning player has the reassurance of his teammate(s) shouting “Turn!” I doubt he’s deliberately ignoring his teammates (or Marsch’s instructions).

I can only imagine how much time and space I would need to feel I could safely turn in the EPL. Eons and oceans.

I think this criticism of Adams is fair - he can be too conservative - but overall he has a good sense of timing and risk/reward.

3. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I agree that his progressive passing has improved and he has been great for Leeds. However, I also think some criticism is fair. If you rewatch his touches from yesterday, I counted multiple times yesterday when he received the ball and had ample time and space to turn and either dribble forward or look to pass to attackers - but he did not even check his shoulders or survey his surroundings, and passed back as a default. And he actually put his team in more danger when West Ham was pressing in some cases.
    In this regard, I think it is ok to expect better and ask questions.
    but that takes nothing away from the fact that he has been their most valuable player on the season, imo.

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think the expectations are too high. It is not a video game. It looks so much easier from the TV. Adams has really upped his game this season IMO. I think it is fine to want him to continue to improve and do even better but it takes time to be world elite at CDM... and even when you reach that level there will be still times where they make mistakes.

5. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    In regards to the video game comparison, if we are going that route, why criticize any players or have any discussions on a message board at all? Of course it is not like a video game, and I sure as hell could not do it. But that doesn't mean we as fans or media can't have opinions.
    He is allowed to make mistakes. And again, I can't say this enough and have posted this many times: Tyler Adams has improved vastly and is playing very well and is a joy to watch.
    I don't think it is too much to ask a CDM to check their shoulders or surroundings before receiving the ball in order to survey that they have time and space to turn, and I think he can improve on that and become even more progressive. That's all.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is also what I am trying to give you. But overall I think our opinion of Adams is pretty darn close so there is really no reason to continue going back and forth. I too hope that he gets better WRT positional awareness because if he starts to become even more of an offensive threat then he will be world elite.

RecLeague Super Sub repped this.
  7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Although I generally agree he can be more forward thinking, note the chances created yesterday...

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He did great on that second goal yesterday. That was at a stage in the game where it felt like he was trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck and will his team to a goal. Would be cool to see him more progressive in other situations.

9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are pretty sic numbers... That line-breaking pass that led to the game-tying goal is just an example of how he has improved WRT his transition passing. If he keeps this up he is going to be on a lot of CL-level radars over the summer... and Leeds should make a pretty penny on the flip. He is so much fun to watch when he is on point... like a Tasmanian Devil.

10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams is not in the gameday roster vs Cardiff in the FA Cup. Aaronson does start, however, and new CB Wober is on the bench.

[​IMG]

11. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Adams injured or just getting a rest?

12. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is rest. Adams is so vital to Leeds, and they need him more in the EPL than the FA Cup. Can’t chance him getting injured (unless Leeds are in the Cup quarterfinals or even deeper).

mattjens and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Most assumed it was just a rest, but there are now reports suggesting it might have been a rest mandated by injury:

mattjens, mace, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  14. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017

TA is elite. Not quite as efficient as MacAllister, but the fact that he's up there with him makes me swoon lol. If Leeds can't survive, he's going to have a lot of PL clubs inquiring...

15. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Phew! It was just a rest... Adams and Aaronson start vs Villa

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  16. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams grew into it today. I thought he was disorganized and untidy early. Back to usual self in second half.

17. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Adams was great today. Not a coincidence that both times Villa scored he was up the field and reasonably not in a position to stop the counter attack.

First was off a Leeds corner and on the second Adams had a scoring chance in the box stopped by a great tackle.

Showed some nice passing as well.

bct81 repped this.
  18. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler is such a beast when he goes to get stuck in.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The fans criticizing Adams instead of the rest of their midfield have no clue about the game.

20. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roca was awful today.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been awful for a decent stretch of games. Adams is a stud. He isn't world elite yet but he is getting there IMO. Just needs to continue to work on the O side of his game. He has already taken a huge leap this season in that regard. I think he is pretty clearly the front-runner for YA of the year. Not sure it is all that close either. I can't think of another Yank in the top 5 leagues that have made half the impact he has.

Gacm32 repped this.
  22. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham?

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Woulda been Jordan if they'd all quit after 10 games.

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams' tackling skill is approaching Diego Chara level. For those unfamiliar with him, Chara wins nearly every tackle he attempts (and he attempts a lot of tackles). It's so nice having that player on your team--the worries when he's around the ball go waaaay down. The ball might advance somewhere, but not from there.

LouisianaViking07/09 and bct81 repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.