Tyler Adams at AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 11, 2018.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes

2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Double pivot
    Double pivot
    Double pivot

Roblar repped this.
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    It’s safe to say he has been involved.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  4. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I just thought of while watching another match - this season, I can’t think of a single free kick Tyler has given away in a dangerous spot. It seems like all of his fouls are while pressing.

5. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He was very good and it wasn't that long ago with Leipzig that he was linked to Arsenal and Man U. A half season playing a lot of RWB and some poor form last year had people over react. And also let me clarify. Yes Tyler was in and form last year and Yes Tyler has weaknesses but I think some of his weaknesses became over stated and I also think people underrated his intangibles.

Ironically from what I've seen of Leipzig they seem to miss what Tyler brings

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    HScoach13 and BostonRed repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank goodness.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking through several responses to Tyler's tweet about making the WC roster, I noticed the same phenomenon that I've seen from replies to similar tweets about other American Prem players making the squad. There are quite a few England-based Leeds supporters who openly state how they want Tyler and Aaronson to beat England. I get that "club over country" is a thing for some folks, but I do not understand openly rooting against one's own national team. Can someone explain this phenomenon a little more to me than just "club over country?"

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Online edgelords who hate Gareth Southgate so much that they want England to fail so he gets fired.

If the US puts up a mediocre result against Wales, you'll see the same attitude all over this site.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Just like we have Americans that want the US to fail to get rid of GB, England probably has haters that want to be rid of Southgate. Both are in the minority and probably miserable people. No reason to give it a second thought.

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider me not understanding the logic of such a mentality. I fully get wanting a managerial change because you do not think he is good enough to lead the squad deep into the dancefloor—but that makes sense before you get to the dance. Once you're there, though, it's simply go time.

Winoman and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I don't think it's Southgate in particular. I think that another factor is that the national team can seem distant for those 25-50 clubs with legitimate support in the English league structure who don't usually see their players contend for national team play. Club loyalties are so important and fans see their players play 40+ matches a year.

Maybe it's also similar to how in the traditional American team sports that have international competition (baseball, hockey, and basketball), it's not treated as nearly as much of a big deal, other than thinking that the US has to dominate basketball at the Olympics. International competition is just a sideshow.

13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s definitely a club over country thing. England squad is traditionally made up of Man U and Chelsea players, so the lower teams have some antagonism to them. Similar to when Spain was entirely Barcelona players and Real Madrid fans were openly rooting for Ronaldo and Portugal against their own NT.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    My have the times have changed.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It already IS all over this site.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have they?

17. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Twitter. And Reddit. And wherever there are forums discussing the national team.

The amount of people who would rather see themselves proven right to satisfy their own egos than to see their team succeed is eye-roll inducing. Sometimes I wonder if The Nutmeg News really is satire.

dark knight and tomásbernal repped this.
  18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I believe the number of USMNT fans on this site who want to see this team fail in Qatar is in the low single digits. I think some of you are projecting because your sense of fandom doesn’t accommodate sustained criticism of the manager.

Dizi, RecLeague Super Sub and Dervos repped this.
  19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Area man already angry at unreleased USMNT roster

dark knight, Moishe, ChrisSSBB and 3 others repped this.
  20. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Both our boys in the starting lineup

Deeneaus and gjackson2207 repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #5746 The Irish Rover, Nov 12, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    True. Southgate is also rather progressive, which gets the juices of the nastier edgelords going quicker. He's also always been a rather calm and cerebral character, which leaves the drama-cravers short of their stimulus fix.

Mostly, however, it's the "my country doesn't respect my club to my satisfaction" sort of thing. If Phillips was still there and Southgate had called up him, Bamford and one or two others, that attitude would be a fair bit less.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No need to worry aout Adams picking up an injury any more: Adams gets red-carded for a second booking.

4-3 to Spurs, with 5 minutes left

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect fan reaction is not very positive

24. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Centennial and Winoman repped this.
  25. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm sure its not positive in the sense they know they'll miss him next game, but I doubt anyone is mad at him. It's not like he did incredibly stupid things for those yellows. Second yellow he barely touched the guy.

Gorky repped this.