"Join, or Die." - Ben Franklin

Discussion in 'Rhode Island' started by TJF2, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TJF2

TJF2 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    RI
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Letter to US supporters in RI and SE MA:

You are reading this because you have a) already become a member of the group I am about to discuss or b) are about to.

The American Outlaws is a national network of supporters' groups for the USA national soccer team. Chapters exist all over the country (and even abroad), and we're trying to start one up here in RI and SE Mass. What does a chapter involve? A group of 25 or more official members with a dedicated venue to watch games together. From there also springs things such as travel to games and organizing bitchin' tailgates when our team comes to town.

You all know about the sport and whatnot so I'll get right to it. Official members are people who register with the national organization on the website. Pay $18.99 for a yearly membership, and you get a t-shirt and a bandanna right off the bat. After that you get discounts on tickets, merchandise and flights on Continental Airlines.

So whats up with the Rhode Island & Providence Plantations chapter? We are working on two big things right now.

First and foremost is getting up to that 25 member mark. Strength in numbers, and it also gives us access to funds (aka the membership money you paid) from the national organization, which will give us more bang for our buck. This would be our own professionally-made banner, chapter-specific merchandise opportunities, etc.

Next would be working with a local establishment to create our "home base." You've all been to Pat's Pub to watch games in the past year, and we can agree it's a good time, especially when Pat saw the business we brought into the place and gave us that free spread of food. When you have a group of 15 or 20, owners/managers take notice and reward our drink buying with food. What we would need to do is get a place to commit to showing every USA game that is broadcast. It's OK to ask the bartender to turn a TV to a certain station, but whats the point if there's a band playing or another sporting event on as well. We (myself and DanishDuke) would love this place to be Pat's, and we're going to work on that. But to get Pat to commit he's gotta see the $, hence the importance of becoming a legitimate (read: large) chapter.

So, in essence, help us help yourselves. If you are already a member and I don't know it, good, and please e-mail riamericanoutlaws@gmail.com with your name. If not, sign up today or tomorrow or next payday. But most importantly, please forward this info on to whomever you think might be remotely interested in getting together over a few beers and bar food and watching our boys beat Mexico 2-0. Or, give us their info and we can reach out to them. Imagine a crowded Pat's Pub at 10am on a Friday morning in June to watch the US play Slovenia, getting drunk and singing songs and eating free food and having a ball. I can guarantee that WILL happen if you get off your duff and sign up and get a friend to do the same. It could be your co-worker, classmate, teammate, whomever (whoever?).

Any questions, just ask. You want to help out in this little project? Let us know your ideas.