John Stewart has a go at CNBC

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by bostonsoccermdl, Mar 5, 2009.

1. TheJack

TheJack New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jon Stewart is awesome. That's one of my most favourite shows.

2. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I like John Stewart. But that wasn't his best work.

3. BruceNa

BruceNa New Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Have you noticed the "war" Jon has with this financial advisor on TV? Try to see his last shows, it's really hilarious. :D

4. Renegade of Funk

Renegade of Funk New Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Room 237
    Stewart can be hilarious, but I thought it was a cheap shot, especially since all the media pundits are lionizing him for it in the aftermath. They are JUST as guilty as CNBC for the endless Dow/Naz cheerleading and it's a they 'doth protest too much' pile-on, in my view.

Cramer's no hardass...comparing Stewart to Edward R. Murrow (going after McCarthy) or the interview to Frost/Nixon (both of which I heard over the weekend) is a crock.

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    True, but when was the last time you saw CNBC actually have a bearish guest on? I have watched CNBC at work daily (even when I didnt want to) when I worked on a trading desk,
    throughout varying market cycles that were up and down, and they never had someone come on and say "this market is headed down, it looks like crap.. stay out..."

Its almost as if doing so would be breaking some industry code, and they knew they wouldnt get invited back on the show as a guest.

Perhaps this has changed the last 2 years, but when I watched CNBC it was nothing but trying to put a positive spin on anything underlying negative.

In other words, it was basically cheerleading for the market to rally regardless of the reality.

6. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Doesn't Peter Schiff make frequent appearances on CNBC? Or Art Laffer. I never watch CNBC and don't watch tv at all except for sports but it sure seems like a lot of the online videos I see of those two are from CNBC shows... Kudlow? Don't get me wrong; Laffer really seems to be awash on a sea of cluelessness but I do have the impression that he is bearish and on CNBC a lot.

7. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I havent seen him, or many bears on at all. Again, I used to watch it alot more than I do now, so maybe its changed.

8. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I dont think so. I think its basically Cramer and that sweep up crew that comes on at 4pm that have too much sunshine coming out of their a-holes.

Theyve had a number of bearish guests on in addition to the pumpers. It might be slightly disproportionate but I expect that when things are going rosey. The American stock market has always been about the here and now rather than whats really going to be happening in the 3 to 9 month window. Anything further than 3 months is basically just like calling the weather.

Cramer regularly calls out stock picks on his show, only to distance himself from those very same stocks a week later. Luckily, the American public is wising up to him but before, Id say his presence on the waves was very very dangerous and irresponsible.

9. WAMS_Coach

WAMS_Coach New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    john stewart is pretty amazing. I hope he goes in with a plan.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    They do.... but if we went down that path we risk ending up realizing that CNBC did a hell of a lot more to touch on the possibility of a bubble bursting or what could go wrong with the markets than Jon Stewart ever did. :D

11. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    I used to have bloomberg on all the time at home/office, but they are worse than CNBC now, its pretty pathetic.

12. StudioGangster14

StudioGangster14 Red Card

Jun 16, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Colbert is better......I cant stand his side"kick" reports he has on...