John O’Brien

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Yank22, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    Just want to get some opinions on his play. Was wondering if he is ever gonna get back to how he played in the 2002 world cup.

2. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I look at it this way...he's played in the last 3 games and not gotten hurt. This is a positive step. It is going to take him some time to find his rhythm and his touch. If he stays healthy, he should return to form. But, of course, that is a BIG if. We could really use him in '06, though. He adds so much to the squad. Next to LD, he is the best player on the USMNT.

3. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Hopefully. He looked real rusty today. I personally don't like him on the left side of midfield anyway. I would have rather seen Davis at left mid with JOB moving to left back.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    he's basically using the gold cup to get back in shape for his club season. just wait till he gets his form and fitness from playing club ball. he'll resemble the stud CM you saw vs Venezuela

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think he's been too beat up to recover his old form ... but he can still be a very useful player.

And to me, he's a central mid. Left back for him is a huge waste of talent for the USMNT.

6. J_Ibarra

J_Ibarra BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 5, 2005
    The whole team did not play well today. but if you put Donovan, Beasley and Pablo in there with him (JOB), he'll show us what he can do. also his time is limited, Arena is saving him for later games.

GO USA!

7. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to WC02 level?! Doubtful as he's a bit older, a bit more banged up, and not quite the athlete that he was. But I would expect him to be a more mature player now, and he's played so little for Ajax or the USMNT that he needs to play for anyone, club or country, to find out where his skill level is today.

So far, it's nice to see him out there. His ball skills are clearly excellent, and his willingness to come forward with an idea of what he wants to do is quite helpful. Still, I think he's a role player next summer if healthy, able to play left-mid, defensive-mid, and left-back. That's a useful player to have on the bench, or to give a spot start.

I'm just cautious about expecting him to be WC02 JOB, as he's been through a lot physically. But what he's showing in the Gold Cup is that, if healthy, he is a legitimate factor in our roster plans for next summer. He's playing his way into shape, and my fingers are crossed that he can finally regain his health.....

8. MelH

MelH Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Kalispell
    I almost didn't come into this thread... dreading what bad news about his latest injury was awaiting.... curiousity got the best of me though...

:whew:! :D

9. TRUEAGGIE

TRUEAGGIE Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Las Vegas
    How can he be banged up? He's only played about 10 games the last four years. If anything, his body is well rested and refreshed. He's still in his prime and we'll see how good he is this season in Holland.

10. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    This is first time he has played 3 first team games (not counting reserves) in a row for a long time, right?

You see his skill but is a litle rusty Though JOB should and has shined over guys like Armas and Olsen.

11. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Well, if his performance tonight is any indication, then I'm starting to fear that he'll end up like Ben Olsen -- a decent player, but only a shadow of the player he was before his injuries. I really hope that he can attain his pre-injury level of form, but I'm not holding my breath...

12. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he had spent the past few years resting on a beach in California, while keeping himself in shape with low-stress exercise, I'd agree with you. But ankle, achilles, and hamstring issues have plagued his career. He hasn't been able to stay healthy enough to even get into games. He's as injury-prone a player as you'll find, but when all is right, he is something special. How far back he's able to come if the big question Arena needs to answer.......

13. WShine

WShine Member

Jan 19, 2005
    New Jersey
    IF he stays healthy I expect him to be one of our best players next year. He is so creative and naturally talented that I think he can do it. What a shame he missed so much of his prime playing years. He really could have been a world class player. However if he stays healthy he should still be very good and one of our best 11.

14. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Re: John O’Brien

He is in these games to get game fit. Plus he is not playing bad. A thousand times better then the surfer Dude is playing right now.

15. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Re: John O’Brien

Davis? :)

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:eek:

stop teasing me.

17. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor game. Silly passes and poor decisions. However, his touch is still very good. He just needs to get a full season of play. If so, he should be ready for WC 2006.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If JOB stays healthy through '06 I think it will be very interesting to see what the Den Haag moves does for him. Todays game was so boring - and I had to watch it while pretending to work - so I can't say much for current form, but a full season at Den Haag will be so different for JOB from his time at Ajax, I'm looking forward to seeing what it does to him.

At ADO he will very likely play CM for a team that will be on its heels in more games than not. He will likely have to play more defense in the midfield for ADO than he did in the back for Ajax.

There have been a few changes at the club - ADO picked up ex-Gersman Mols last week. I don't know if any of the other starting strikers (Ajax loaner Cedric van der Gun - also an a-mid - Gert den Ouden or Edson) are leaving/being recalled (van der Gun's ajax contract ended in June, I think).

Winger Jamie Smith - ex of the other Glasgow side - left ADO recently for Aberdeen.

Danish/Bronby defender Olesen is on trial currently.

If JOB puts in a full year at ADO he will really have gotten good at "sticking it in" or at "picking it out of the back of the net" or both. (they gave up 59 goals last season - ajax gave up 33)

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he didn't have a whole lot to work with out there. I'd still like to see him with DMB, Donovan, Dempsey at the same time. Maybe in the quarter finals?

He's rusty, especially mentally, I think. For example, his indecision on whether to head the ball or try to strike it with his foot on that cross from Ralston(?). But he'll get sharper the more he plays.

I'm just happy for him because you know he's gotta be loving it, getting back on the field.

20. Fire-Chop

Fire-Chop New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Agreed that he seemed rusty in yesterday's game. I thought he looked better against Canada.

He still had some great touches. That ball over the top to Armas was a thing of beauty. If it had been anybody other than Armas it could easily have been a highlight real assist reminiscent of Van Bommel at PSV this year.

I don't think the Olsen comparisons are valid because Olsen's game before injury relied more on speed than did JOB's. JOB has better skills that can make up for a possible slowdown in athletic ability.

21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just so happy to see him out there that I"ve nothing to complain about yet. Except the hair. He'll never be the player he was until he cuts off the hair.

22. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Rating for JOB vs Costa Rica,

JOB: 3 Hoo boy. How can I put this delicately? Hmmm... Um er ahh lemmesee now... Um er JOB STUNK!! Yep! God awful. Horrible. Was John aware that the US Team was in white? Why did far more of JOB's passes find Red Uniforms than White uniforms?? What was John doing on the inch perfect cross from Ralston mid-way through the first half?? O'Brien should have attacked that ball with his head! Instead JOB used the always effective maneuver he learned from watching Sanneh play defense. Yep, the raise your leg and let the ball sail past you whilst looking extremely foolish. I love that play. What was JOB doing later in the first half when after a brilliant sequence of US passing including a final ball delivered on a platter to JOB from Dempsey found JOB totally unmarked and free to shoot 9 yards out in front of the net?? Yep, JOB instead of shooting waited and then, and then, and then what?? JOB got stripped of the ball on a ridiculous cut back attempt and was easily dispossessed which allowed a quick Costa Rican counter attack. BRUTAL. The best I can say about JOB was that he did complete a "cheeky" back heel. Woo Hoo!!

That all being said I'm a John O'Brien fan. Really I am. I hope he does well. I hope he regains his form. I hope he stays healthy. However I'm not going to turn a blind eye toward the stinker of a match he had last night.

23. Nadir

Nadir New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    I think he should keep the fro - we don't have enough players with cool hair. :)

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but so would playing Greg Vanney over Clint Dempsey because you don't have any left backs.

That's the kicker, O'Brien over the next choice at left back is a much bigger gap than O'Brien over Dempsey. So when we're at full strength, it's worth considering, IMO, particularly against a team against whom we could do a significant amount of attacking (about two-thirds the World Cup field I'd guess).

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, he's gotta keep the hair. He looks like Orlando Bloom out there. Very nice.