John Lennon

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Liv'poolFaninAZ, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Liv'poolFaninAZ New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    I recently came accross this, which I didn't know and I don't want to believe.. but were the Beatles.... toffees? :eek:

www.toffeeweb.com/fans/celebrities.asp

if this is true....as a Beatles fan....I'm Heart-broken! :(

2. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    any thread with john lennon i'm in...

whoa! i do feel heartbroken for you after the read, brother.

3. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Wow, I don't know what to say after seeing that. I guess if anything it adds hilarity to my Mike Tyson quote. I'm dying to know if Liverpool band Echo & The Bunnymen were Red fans. For those who don't know they were a late 70's early 80's post-punk band, similar to Joy Division (again referencing my sig). I'm not sure I can take them being considered Everton fans.

-------------------------
    "When my brain exploded, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have such a better life now."
    -- Sharon Stone

"I'm not very politically involved ... I mean, if you say you're a Democrat, that'll turn off Republicans, and that's half of your fan base."
    -- Lindsay Lohan

"I may have smoked too much weed, but I wasn't taking drugs or anything."
    -- Mike Tyson on his loss to Lennox Lewis

"Joy Division is the only good thing to ever come out of Manchester, and then the lead singer went and killed himself."
    -- Me

4. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Wow, I don't know what to say after seeing that. I guess if anything it adds hilarity to my Mike Tyson quote. I'm dying to know if Liverpool band Echo & The Bunnymen were Red fans. For those who don't know they were a late 70's early 80's post-punk band, similar to Joy Division (again referencing my sig). I'm not sure I can take them being considered Everton fans.

"When my brain exploded, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have such a better life now."
    -- Sharon Stone

"I'm not very politically involved ... I mean, if you say you're a Democrat, that'll turn off Republicans, and that's half of your fan base."
    -- Lindsay Lohan

"Joy Division is the only good thing to ever come out of Manchester, and then the lead singer went and killed himself."
    -- Me

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Sorry about duplicates (busy signal).

-- Sharon Stone

-- Lindsay Lohan

--Me

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LOL...am I smoking weed or is that same post posted twice??

I wondered that when I was in Liverpool in November, what club the Fab Four supported. Everton makes sense though, they are the team supported by most of the "people" of Liverpool.

7. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    Well I did find a list of famous Liverpool supporters! Samuel L Jackson just went from "Bad Mother**cker" to "SUper BAD-ASS motha **cka!!"

liverpool.rivals.net/default. asp?sid=890&p=2&stid=8049662

:D

8. Liv'poolFaninAZ

Oct 24, 2004
    Glendale, Arizona
    OOOps! my link didn't work! But I did find it, do a google search for "celebrity reds" and its on the first site that comes up!

9. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Good to see that the Beatles do have (had) some taste. :D

10. JN13

JN13 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    I don't think there is any proof of that.
    In fact in one of the movies about The Beatles in Hamburg John and Stu
    (the fifith Beatle) were talking about Liverpool FC and it seemed like they were actually Liverpool supporters.
    I did notice a moment of silence before the Everton v. NUFC game at Goodison though right after George died 3 years ago in Nov.
    The thing about John and Paul attending the FA Cup Final in 1966 even if true still does not prove anything imho.
    How could they possibly support Everton?
    There is no way!

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yes, it is true that he was shot dead. I'm too young to remember, but I too was heartbroken when I learned that he was dead.

My understanding is that the Fab Four, John in particular, were not big sports fans. But it wouldn't be all that surprising or disappointing if they preferred blue over red.

12. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Micheal Owen, Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Jamie Carragher and Ian Rush. All boyhood Blues who were lured to the Dark Side, so it's hard to say whether any of them can be regarded as Evertonians now

Hahahahahaha,thats real funny!!But fowler??after the celebration he did when he scored against everton,i would have never imagined

13. wemess0

wemess0 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing an interview w/ McCulloch on the official LFC site a few years back.

And I remember reading another interview -- it might have been the same one, I'm not sure -- where Ian was asked something along the lines of if he was happy w/ his accomplishments or if he considered himself a winner.

He responded by saying he was from Liverpool, and that LFC had won a lot.

I think it's safe to say he's a Red.

14. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best guide to all of this is the George Harrison quote " there are three football teams in Liverpool (he was including Tranmere), and I support the other one". Paul has admitted his Mom's family were Evertonian. Ringo and John both consistently stated they hadn't much interest in sport as lads.

15. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now as to the Rutles:

"He was born in Liverpool, went to school in Liverpool, had his first pint in Liverpool, got married in Liverpool, and his football team is ........Everton" :)

16. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    That's good to know.

-- Sharon Stone

-- Lindsay Lohan

-- Me

17. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul was an Everton fan.
    Ringo from what I have heard likes Milwall.
    George either didnt follow football, or no one knows.
    John was seen at Liverpool games with a scarf on, although he had said he didnt like organized sport.

18. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    This is stupid. The page clearly states that none of them had any particular allegiance to either club (which is in line with everything I've ever read about them, and I've read a lot), yet they still claim them as being fans. :rolleyes:

Still, Lennon namechecks Matt Busby (who played for Liverpool before managing Manchester United) in Dig It, but on Yes It Is, he implores his new girl to avoid wearing red...

19. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my information on a Beatles forum in October or November. Id like to think that my information is close to accurate. And the stuff that you just mentioned Lanky, that was part of the response I got when asking there, also.

20. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    But Paul being an Everton fan is inaccurate. His own words, posted on page one (a direct quote from the Anthology book), say that his family supported Everton but he was never too interested. Being seen at a few games doesn't qualify you as a fan.

21. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promising to donate millions to the club, because they reside in your home? I think that counts.

22. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes this is true...but he was the Walrus.

23. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    And now we know the true inspiration behind one of their most famous songs, Help. :D

24. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Can't we just Let It Be? :D

25. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia