John Henry's Summer 2011 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bobinhood, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aye, and take heed-- the paper which is running with the Henderson/Cattermole/Barton story has previous form.

On these obscene wages, I've just read another analysis of the Cole/Jovanovic wages. Jovanovic's wages this year have included his £1 million signing-on fee (he was earning £120,000 per week as result) while Cole received all his (£5 million) at the start. Hence, were he to stay, Jovanovic's wages would have gone down substantially. It's an incredible waste, all the same, but the most egregious has to have been for Joe Cole.

2. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's a crazy waste, but then again, I think most of the people in management knew they weren't going to be with the club when the bills for Cole and others came due.

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aye.

4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Cole was so plainly a ploy by Purslow to make it seem like all was still rosy in terms of finances and to support his newly appointed manager.

5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think its a must sell before we can buy scenario, at least I hope not. No one is going to buying up our deadwood quickly, especially at their current wages.

We need to get the players we want as soon as possible, while at the same time work at clearing out the deadwood.

6. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    I still have trouble getting my head around how crap he was. This guy used to be good. That kind of money and his problem was food and cigs? Any rundown gym in the world youve got guys his age working out like madmen on the off chance they might get laid someday as a result.

ffs.

7. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when you've got it all, some don't want to work for it.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So I guess this is a good news/bad news? They're expensive, but they're easier to get rid of?

9. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That would still leave just under £100k a week after the signing on fee. At his previous club Standard Leige I doubt he was on much more than 15k a week, and at the age of 30 and never succeeded in a top league, he's unlikely to be offered a contract anywhere near that he's on.

I'd disagree with you about Cole being worse than Jova. Cole was a PR move to stop the constant headlines about us being a sinking ship and actually improved squad morale, Gerrard, Torres and Carra all spoke highly about the move, and as a proven star was less of a gamble.

Who could of predicted that Chelsea's player of the year 2 seasons prior would of flopped so hard. He's been a disaster but he scored the winner and assisted the winner in the 2-1 wins against Blackburn and Bolton and without those 4 points we would of finished level with the Bitters. :p

Hopefully we get rid of both, but I have more faith in Kenny being able to coax Cole back to his best then making Jova Premiership standard at the age of 30. The real good news happens when Degen turns up for pre-season training.

10. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only real way they're going to flog off most of this trash is by eating money.

Loans, with us paying most, if not all of the money.

At that point, might as well keep them.

11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's on £70,000 which, you rightly say, still is obscene. But Cole was and still is a worse signing whichever way you look at it. Even more aggravating is who Chelsea [technically] got in exchange.

Still, we're splitting hairs here. Both represent poor value for money, and must be shifted.

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  13. ThatEndDown

ThatEndDown Member+

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Watching Belgium v Turkey, right now. Fairly even match but, except for Arda Turan, I'm completely underwhelmed by some of the names we've been linked to.

15. Nordecke88

Nordecke88 Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article rates Marko Marin at 15 million pound. Id be fine with that, I remember watching him tear up Spurs in the champions league group stage.

16. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me!

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485255&page=35

1 person likes this.
  17. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  18. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know quite so much about football as some up in here, but i does me research...

i did start watching football in about 1970, way after usscouse and kopite, but i have a decent sense of how things work in real life. it comes with age...:cool:

19. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Fucking hell. How long does it take him to learn?

However, I agree completely with you. Having him and Lucas as a pairing would be very good. Having someone with the technical skill of Gerrard, as you mentioned, instead of Spearing would certainly help Lucas and help the team retain possession while also increasing our ability in transition (as soon as we have won possession).

Lucas, wins the ball, short, accurate simple pass to Gerrard, who kills the opposition with a single pass to Suarez et al.

I would really like to see this as well, including a smarter Gerrard, with our team's attacking focus on playing quickly when the opposition lose possession. Similar to the days of Rafa, I guess.

20. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Henderson 'eager' to join us

Park Chu Young from Monaco
    why are we being linked with so many strikers?

8m bid for 'next shearer', aka Wickham
    see comment above.

Moukandjo from Monaco
    22 yrs old, tall, lanky, quick (supposedly, never seen him play myself).
    3 goals in 16 appearances for Monaco after moving in January.
    Could be a decent gamble for a couple million quid as they will be eager to sell after relegation. Would have to clear some deadwood first, though.

Ayew from Marseille
    I'm Wingtips and I support this bid.
    Played in the middle at the World Cup. Played out wide for Marseille. A very good player, and one I'd love to see with us. Just have to beat Bayern, supposedly
    Fits the profile: young, talented, HUGE upside potential.

Being warned off Ajax player
    No, not Erickson. Vurnon Anita, a holding midfield player.

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  22. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Ngog probably gone, or at least loaned, and on the outs, I think striker is a position of some consideration.

Getting a young one would be a positive sign. I think that some combination of Morgan and a few other youngsters might be ready to contribute a bit down the road, but does anyone feel confident with Ngog playing week in and week out if someone was to get hurt?

I don't think it's the first priority, but it has to be considered.

Kuyt's getting a bit older. Sure, there's Carroll and Suarez, but with Carroll, we've seen he might have some health concerns.

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Last year of contract, methinks.

25. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and he's pretty old, in striker years...33

and remember, he only had two "great" years at Chelsea: '06-'07 and '09-'10. the rest of his Chelsea career has been pretty average.