John Hendricks: Spiteful or Not?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by DaveBrett, Sep 18, 2003.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    Question for everyone: do you guys think John Hendricks closed down the WUSA five days before the World Cup to spite the soccer community? I don't know for sure, but I suspect the timing of this whole thing is his way of rubbing everyone's noses in it.

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Not at all. Nothing that has been said or reported in any way implies that.

The WUSA entered with a flawed business model. (We will build an audience and attendance without long term committed sponsors and with no proven attendance factors for Women's soccer.) This does not mean anything more than the WUSA's top people were/are extremely poor business people.

They have not shown any tendency to pettiness or vindictiveness, rather they often have shown the exact opposite.

Again, the problem is stupid business practices.

The timing was/is dictated by the projected costs of the shutdown. In order to avoid bankruptcy they must pay off any contracts with suppliers, players, coaches, staff, and stadiums. With no further income the existing reserves, probably, just cover that amount, which is most likely quite large.

Also this allows them to NOT run adds during the WWC which costs money as well.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it gets the women's league a lot of free advertising, albeit in the form of obituary notices.

As FoF said, there is no indication that anything was done out of spite. If another league is to pick up the pieces in a year or two then it would not make sense to piss off the folks that you need to make it work. They may have done some stupid things, but they're not that stupid.

4. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    No.

Hendricks was the "dreamer".

He was the investor that the player's association (read: Foudy, Brandi, Mia) could count on to stand up for them when COX demanded the founding players sign the contract guarantee waiver (the players never gave in.)

He dug into his own pocket after Comcast bailed in May 2001.

He dug deeper yet when Time Warner bailed in September 2002.

He was perhaps the last WUSA investor left standing, after everyone else had given up.

5. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I've heard a few people say it. I haven't seen it reported...yet.

It depends on how the USA does next week and the week after that. If the USA bombs at the World Cup, there will be PLENTY of speculation in the media about the timing of the announcement.

6. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Bob Wagman of Soccertimes.com reported in his column that Hendricks approached Uncle Phil for bucks and was denied. Wagman reported that the timing of the announcement was Hendricks' way of limiting the revenue Uncle Phil would have gotten from the SUM marketing deal. It's akin to burning the crops. If it's true then Hendricks and the WUSA leadership should be persona non grata in the American game. This is an example of how "money" people can *#*#*#*#*#*# up a soccer league. Soccer needs to be operated by soccer people. The money just catapulted the WUSA to a scale that was not sustainable as a long term investment by short term investors. Here's the link to the column: http://soccertimes.com/wagman/2003/sep17.htm

7. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Even if "revenge" or "spite" was the motive, I still have a hard time believing that Hendricks was the instigator.

If you had said that Foudy, Brandi, and/or Mia
    wanted revenge, I would have believed it.

Foudy in particular has a history of employing scorched-earth tactics against anyone who gets in her way.

Ask any journalist who has written a piece that she didn't approve of and they'll tell you what Foudy did to him/her (i.e. have his/her WUSA credential revoked among other forms of punishment.)

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: John Hendricks: Spiteful or Not?

Interesting.

Do you have a source/link for that?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting.

Can you name anyone? Source/link?

10. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Hey ollie, shut the hell up already. your speculation about the women is born of your biased agenda against foudy-in fact your whole slant on the wusa derives from your sick little warped views on foudy. you have zero credibility. big deal, at one time you were predicting the leagues demise...later you changed your tune on what was going to happen more often that a Bar mitzvah band-the wusa fialed because of bad management that should have been tossed after year 1. these people did not know how to run a sports venture-and that became readily apparent after the first year. that had NOTHING to do with foudy-if you think this league failed because business decisions were made by foudy & co. you are truly on crack. anyone who doubts this can simply witness how you used your website all summer long to selectively denegrate wusa. you are nothing more than a willing tool of those who think like you and use you to spread their crap.
    here's some "news" for you ollie:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/wusa/2003-09-19-wusa-revival-_x.htm

11. #1BeatFan

#1BeatFan New Member

May 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a couple of comments about some of the previous posts:

1) No one should be pointing fingers at Cox as a bad guy. Cox has been a committed supported of the WUSA since inception. When the league was hemorrhaging money after the first season, Cox Enterprises gave the WUSA a home in their new corporate headquarters in Atlanta. Throughout the history of the league, I don't think you would find a bigger supporter of the league.

2) I have read Wagman's piece and agree with most everything he writes. However, I think too much credence is given to having "Soccer People" market the league (and sport). I don't dispute the importance of passionate soccer people as ambassadors of our sport, however the WUSA seriously lacked strong consumer marketing expertise. In the end, any product (soft drinks, toilet paper, soccer) need a solid marketing strategy and good people to execute in order to be successful.

I am hopeful that we have not seen the last of the WUSA - and not because I would miss watching the stars of the 99 WWC. Over the past three years I have watched a lot of WUSA action. I think I would miss seeing the unheralded up-and-comers like Kylie Bivens, Jen Grubb or Shannon Boxx. I just wonder how many talented, hard-working players are out there looking for a chance to show their stuff?

12. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Foudy is a Founding member.
    She's one of the 3 who wooed Hendricks.
    She sits on the board.
    She's the National Team captain.
    She is the star of Bud commercials.

To think that she had no input in how WUSA was managed is ridiculous.

Foudy may not have been signing checks - but she was the most influential Founding member in WUSA. She's incredibly driven - and from what I've read and observed stubborn.

Good for her for negotiating with the USSF pre WWC 99 and threatening a strike. Good for her for not waiting for the USSF to organize a Victory tour - and finding a guy like Hendricks to fund the crappy indoor tour they went on instead for a bigger paycheck.

The bottom line is that Foudy is a leader in the Women's game and she would have been invovled in how the league was marketed and how the league was conceived.

Foudy isn't one to not speak up - so if the league wasn't being run the way she saw fit - we'd have heard from her. What's hard to admit is that the stance that the league took - the stubborn go it alone approach was in fact a direct reflection of Foudy's mindset.

Notice that in all the comments post WUSA blow up she's never made a concetion that the WUSA business model was lacking etc. . . it's always been if we had more money, more time etc.

I find the whole pre WWC shut down a dispicable PR ploy that is taking attention from what should be an enjoyable event - and now turning it into a Jerry Lewis telethon.

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: John Hendricks: Spiteful or Not?

Probably one of Ollie's moles.

14. jc in nh

jc in nh Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Canterbury, NH
    Re: Re: Re: Re: John Hendricks: Spiteful or Not?

... and he ought to have those moles checked - I have a feeling they are not benign!

15. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Who said she had no input? Input is one thing….people listening to your input is another. Have any idea how many times the founders might have been told “what do you know about running a business?”
    How can you assume her influence was effective or that her influence bore on financial decisions made by those in charge? You leap to these conclusions as a means to lay blame on one woman who as ONE board member made her voice known. The theory that those in charge cow towed to Foudy, that all decisions originated from her is simply ridiculous and unfounded….unless you want to buy into ollie’s crap. Ollie’s mission has always been to blame the world’s problems on Foudy. He felt that way before there even was a wusa. His website is biased… and you will never see any hopeful articles posted there. You won’t see the article I posted because he only spreads gloom….and he does so because he wants the league to fail, and he wants to blame Foudy for that failure. It is personal for him, always has been, and that does not make for objectivity.
    Again, involvement does not equate with impact. And it is you who are naïve to think that a bunch of businessmen and investors would bow to her advice.
    I respectfully urge you to consider that Foudy publically blasting the league’s decision makers would not have extended the league. As I have said, going it alone was Hendricks decision-you tell me what viable plan the mls had which bettered what Hendricks had in place? You tell me whether the mls had any intention of getting a league going until Hendricks showed up. You tell me why the founders would not support Hendricks, their sugar daddy?
    and your point is what? They needed more money because there was no alternative-Foudy did not have the ability to clean house. You really give the woman way too much credit.

Despicable? Well, can’t help you much there. I guess we have to disagree on the decision to grab the best chance to publicize the WUSA’s demise and lack of sponsorship while at the same time leaving some $$ to take care of severance.

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about Hendricks. However, I think the timing of the WUSA announcement was appropriate. It added to publicity for women's soccer. "There's no such thing as bad publicity." almost applies here. It firmly informs the players and staff of WUSA what the status is for next year.

It's much better than keeping staff on for three months and then letting go. They waited for the end of the previous season. If people want a next season or any season, someone has to step up with the funds and business plan for making it happen.

Since the closest WUSA or World Cup game is more than 600 miles away, I've yet to get tickets for a game. I realize many travel all over the country, but I have a family that is a higher priority than National team soccer. I've probably been to 1000 soccer games in the last 25 years, so you can say I don't support soccer.