John Ashcroft, keeping our country safe from comedians

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MikeLastort2, Sep 12, 2003.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Rest of Post-Gazette story here

rest of Post article here

According to the Stern show this morning, Chong pleaded guilty because he was facing TEN YEARS IN JAIL for ths "offense."

Why is the US DOJ wasting time and effort to enforce this ridiculous law when there are more serious issues they should be dealing with?

And since when are bongs and paraphenalia illegal?

2. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Saw a bit on this a couple of months back on Frontline or something. Apparently the laws were recently changed or Ashcroft re-interpreted or something like that. They DOJ staged massive raids around the country and seized stores everywhere. Chong was just a high profile example.

Out here in Oregon it has had a significant economic impact believe it or not. Eugene was the glass blowing capitol of the country. Now alot of these glass blowers have reverted to making glass dildo's (don't laugh it's serious!)

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Re: Re: John Ashcroft, keeping our country safe from comedians

It's re-fucking-diculous.

The only thing Chong is guilty of is making a lot of potheads laugh back in the 70s and 80s. It's pathetic to put the guy in jail for this.

4. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    won't be long before you'll see "Free Chong" tshirts and hats popping up

5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is a terrible injustice. we should organize a protest... it's just... so hard to get motivated... you know?

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Or avatars.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The law is the law. The guy sold THOUSANDS of dope bongs and pipes over the Internet. Last I knew, those things were illegal. The idiot even advertised his products on his company and personal celebrity websites. What a dope, literally. Good riddance, he was never that funny. Of course, I was never a pothead so what do I know.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    :)

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Last I heard, they were legal if sold as tobacco pipes. Did Chong explicitly say on his website that they were for illegal drug use? Did the law change?

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Oh please. The law is the law? So is the speed limit, Ian. Or are you trying to tell me you NEVER exceed the posted limit on the interstate?

Chong is a 65 year old man trying to make a living, and he and his former partner Cheech made that living as a part of "drug culture."

Finally, don't you think that Ashcroft and the DOJ have more important things to worry about than people selling bongs on the Internet?

11. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    So you were just born yesterday, right?

I seem to remember a blurb in the article that pointed out that they found a pound of pot in his house, too.

Not that I'm in favor of this, or of raids of the "medicinal marijuana" clubs around here. But when you have stoners dispensing "prescriptions" it's not a pharmacy and those buyers aren't dying of cancer. They're just stoners trying to see how far they can stretch the law.

I still fondly remember that battle of the bands scene in "Up in Smoke" though. The Cheech and Chong band called themselves 'Alice Bowie' and Cheech wore a tutu. A classic scene.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just excited that with Tommy Chong in jail, the DOJ can finally declare victory in the war against drugs and close up shop.

13. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i agree i wish he could lock up bitter arseholes

p-s i'm back and better than ever

14. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's clearly the bin Laden of the drug world.

15. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good idea, there's money to be made.

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I usually exceed the speed limit, and I've always paid my fines when caught.

The same could be said about the local drug peddler on the corner, trying to make a living pimping and selling crack to little kids in the neighborhood.

John Ashcroft has absolutely nothing to do with this story. He was not involved in this case in any way, and I highly doubt he ever heard of Cheech or Chong.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please forgive me, but I'm with DoJ on this one. Look, the laws are on the books. In a position like that, you can't just pick and choose which laws to enforce. Your complaints are with the Congress that made what Chong was doing a federal crime.

18. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Man, we should go get jobs man. We have got to prove we can smoke and be productive.
    Wait.haahahahaha, yea right, jobs! Ahahaha

19. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    Yup. The law is the law. You are so Libertarian you have no problem with putting people in jail for selling pieces of glass and plastic.

But fraudulently inducing Congress and the American people into war does not run counter to your "Law and Order" values.

Embrace your inner fascist. It’s not your fault. It’s not your fault. It’s not your fault.

20. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Look, if you've got a problem with the law then work to get it changed. Don't blame law enforcement or the judicial branches for enforcing laws on the books. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    what? no pithy answer to the other half of his post?

:rolleyes:

22. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The one where he said, "...fraudulently inducing Congress and the American people into war does not run counter to your "Law and Order" values."

It's his opinion that a fraud was perpetrated. If he believes he has the evidence to prove that case, he should try and get the president and members of Congress impeached, what more do you want me to say?

23. Ugluk

Ugluk New Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Are apples still legal?

24. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Can we blame law enforcement and the judicial branches for shoving draconian laws down our throats, for cracking down on civil liberties, and for violating the constitution? Or would that just mean that the terrorists have won?

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "Heeeey, Cheech man. Like I was framed! Maaan, they weren't bongs they were little flowerpots, man. This is such a bummer."

What will the people on here say to Michael Jackson or R. Kelly getting arrested on child endangerment/rape charges? "The law's just not fair!" Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Aren't 65 yr. olds supposed to be playing the slots in Atlantic City & telling stories about how hard they had it as kids? I think Chong deserves jail time for stupidity.