John Arne Riise

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Liverpool_SC, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I think Reds fans everywhere should say a word of prayer for our Norwegian back. He has a great chance to recapture the form that made him so outstanding two seasons ago (and that we saw flashes of last season).

I hope that now that he is staring an extended run in the first team in the face, he will be able to relax and not try to do too much. He would be well-advised to take a page out of Carra's book and a) simplify his game (execute every play well be it a tackle, tracking back to mark a man, pass the ball, or make a run up the flank - whatever), b) pick his chances to move forward (be unpredictable about when to overlap, underlap or stay-at-home), c) play defense first - we have great flank players on each side of the field - whether it is Harry, Vlad, El Hadji or Finnan. Riise needs to help support the defense unless the chance begs for him to move into space, d) don't take free kicks - concentrate on the bread and butter of your game. He doesn't need to try and impress with one brilliant play. For the long term, it is better for John Arne to work on his consistancy.

I think that Riise is a great player for Liverpool. But with the somewhat better balance our established first team has been showing over the last few matches - I think it is more important than ever for the guys who rotate into the lineup to seek to play with a team mentality first. If Riise immediately goes maurading up the flanks in the first half and then sulks in the back in the second half (if he is stymied), he could upset what appears to be an improving team.

Thoughts?

2. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Started out today just hoofing it clear. About midway through the first half there were a few times where he was going to do that, but thought better and played the short pass to Stevie.

Then Stevie hoofed it 50 yards...:)

3. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Riise will be awesome at left back in the absense of Jamie Carragher, plays much better there then in the midfield.