John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the Kohfeldt way.

jnielsen and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derek Rae translates a Bild article on what's up with Brooks:

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wolfsburg doing a little contract-negotiating-in-the-media...

4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt that. This is going beyond that.

Brooks is near the end of his contract so his transfer value isn't that high. Sounds like the club is just taking a shot at him out the door. Even if Brooks has an attitude problem (I'm not discounting that), this feels like a low blow from the club to air it publicly.

If they don't like Brooks, fine, just let him go in January on a minimal transfer fee since he's cheap goods right now. Then be done with it and move on.

This seems unnecessary to air this dirty laundry.

5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    John has perplexed since he came on the scene. From top displays to turning off. Remember the tatoo incident at Hertha? let’s not forget Wolfsburg were trying to sell him before the 2020 season with no real takers. Whenever JB has been in poor form, under threat for playing time/benched/ out favor, he has always come back real strong. The steady consistency however has eluded him. Here’s hoping he goes on another strong run for the team, which of course will help himself.

nycfc919 repped this.
  6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Against top tier opponents I trust him a little more than Zimmerman. Richards’ development might cure my worry eventually. But I hope Brooks and Gregg bury the hatchet.

7. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Looked up if MLS could be realistic if a team really opened the purse strings (given the low transfer fees) to pay up for him but the top MLS defender doesn’t even make half his current wages.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Feels more like "jilted lover" than "contract negotiation" to me.

Winoman and bshredder repped this.
  9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4534 ChrisSSBB, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Doesn’t seem like direct quotes in Bild article but it isn’t difficult to surmise some of these things.

Brooks is best when s the defense sits deep which is usually what Wolfsburg does as a counterattacking team. When the team tries to play higher, his mobility and decision making can get exposed, imo.

He won’t get close to $4M/yr in his next contract. Maybe wants to go on a free to get maximum salary from next club. If that is the case, he will sit a lot for the rest of the season.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    We'll see but that kind of talk, particularly being that specific, is usually about negotiating. But they might just be pissed and want to be jerks.

11. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I like Brooks a lot but he does have a history of clashing with coaches throughout his career. I think he's a good to very good player in form but I think taking the next step has alluded him... I also think people keep wanting to prop him up as more of a leader than he actually is. Doesn't mean he's not a good player but I don't think he commands a line so to speak. But that's a different discussion.

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4537 bshredder, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    From a NT and club perspective, Brooks seems to be a player that is unquestionably talented but it becomes a problem if he's not starting. Do you sign him or do you call him up if there is a decent chance he's going to be a backup? Some players are starters only - otherwise, it could be a problem.

We will see, but Brooks might have one foot out the door already at Wolfsburg and if he's not seen as a starter the rest of the season they might be trying to get him out the door early.

Just speculating about that.

What I do know is that Brooks has a history of getting himself into problems and then reemerging with a strong run of form. It looked like he was cooked at Wolfsburg at the start of 2020 when they bought Marin Pongračić. Brooks rode the bench for a few weeks but then got an opportunity due to a red card suspension and then played absolutely incredible soccer leading up to the COVID shutdown - and then in the summer after the shutdown.

Brooks is at his best when he's under fire from coaches/technical directors and his back is against the wall. It also doesn't mean he's always a pleasant guy to have on the team either.

gomichigan24, lmorin and ChambersWI repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update:

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's these kinds of mixed messages that really make a relationship challenging...

russ and beamish repped this.
  16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    apparently Bornauw didn't exactly tear it up last game. Tied for 2nd worst rating on the team.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 1.41.05 PM.png

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So does having noted fraud Florian Kohfeldt as your manager.

Winless in 6, -11 GD in that stretch.

ShortyMac and Deeneaus repped this.
  18. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kohfeldt is only a disaster coaching teams that wear green & white. When Wolfsburg fire him, he'll rebound by taking over Fürth next season and turning them into a powerhou....oh...nevermind.

Seriously, I have no idea why Wolfsburg hired this proven disaster of a coach. Couldn't they have seen this coming? I doubt the guy will last for the rest of the season, unless Wolfsburg is really run by masochists.

Anyways, at least we know there will be an open Bundesliga manager position soon where Jesse Marsch can apply.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    BostonRed repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooksbank.

Gorky and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  21. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Brooks will be wanted by a host of Bundesliga teams, if Wolfsburg want to let him go.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When deciding who is more likely correct, a player or Florian Kohfeldt, I will go with the player.

(Am I a Kohfeldt hater? Maybe a little.)

jnielsen and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  23. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you say, you are not going with the Flo?

jnielsen and Winoman repped this.
  24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kohfeldt uses 2 of 5 available subs as Wolfsburg concede in the 73rd and 89th minute to lose 3-2 at home to Koln.

Winless in 7.

lol

25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL indeed. What a train wreck.