John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would place Brooks right in with those (good) players. I’d take Brooks over Gooch any day of the week.

2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wolfsburg coach Glasner defends Brooks and doesn't seem to be headed for benching.

Oliver Glasner is looking for positive examples directly from him. "He gave us a lot of stability in Bremen and Leverkusen". He is John Anthony Brooks. And yes, the 27-year-old cut a fine figure at 4: 1 in Leverkusen (kicker grade 2) and 1: 0 in Bremen (kicker grade 2.5). The problem of the American: In the other five games after the re-start, he was involved in sometimes grotesque defense behavior in several goals, three times (Dortmund, Freiburg, Gladbach) there was the kicker grade 5.
    https://www.kicker.de/777838/artike..._patzen_glasner_stellt_sich_vor_brooks#twfeed

but that inconsistency is highlighted. Also he's safe now but next season is always a new topic. Won't be saved/protected forever if he has more bad games than good.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's not even being inconsistent. It's the type of forwards the other team has.

4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wouldn't trust Demerit or Onyewu to make a good pass, but I'd certainly trust them to be good defenders (though I always questioned about Onyewu's ability to turn--he was quite immobile, for good and for bad).

5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish usmnt had brooks instead of demerit in 2009 confed cup championship game...woulda won for sure. demerit had some absolute bonehead plays in the biggest game of his life.

6. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Brooks’ defense, if any of you watched Man U v Spurs today, you saw Harry McGuire look an awful lot similar to Brooks in a 1 v 1 situation against the first goal scorer. Maybe it’s just that situation. A fast attacker versus a big slow defender.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

freisland repped this.
  10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4160 autobus39, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    With the 4-0 loss to Bayern last weekend, coupled with Hoffenheim winning on the final day, VfL Wolfsburg fell from sixth to seventh place in the final Bundesliga standings. Dropping that one spot caused Wolfsburg to qualify for the 2020/2021 Europa League second qualifying round instead of the group stage (this could still change if Wolfsburg themselves (Wolfsburg qualifying for Champions League group stage) or Bayer Leverkusen (Wolfsburg qualify for Europa League group stage) win the 2019/2020 Europa League). The 2020/2021 Europa League qualifying and play-off rounds will be single leg matches due to scheduling delays resulting from COVID.The second qualifying round is scheduled for September 17th.

Below are the highlights from the Bayern match. Brooks has at least some involvement in the sequences leading to the three Bayern goals while he was on the pitch as well as a couple of other of the plays shown.

As mentioned above, Wolfsburg's 2019/2020 campaign is not over as they are scheduled to play their Europa Leg Round of 16 away second leg against Shakhtar Donetsk on August 5th or 6th. The tie may potentially be played at a neutral stadium in Germany instead of in Ukraine. Wolfsburg trail 2-1 after the home first leg.

sakibomb523, Winoman and freisland repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A move to England?

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'll go on the record as not opposed as well. :thumbsup:

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wonder if it's a promoted side.

14. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea?

15. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Chelsea could actually use him as their center backs are... less than adequate (i think that's nice enough)

adam tash and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'd love to see another Yank in the Prem, JAB is no better than Christensen.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there actual interest from England or is that just wishful thinking by some? I love me some JAB when he’s engaged and on his game. When he’s not....he can be brutal. He would be punished to the highest degree for some of his bonehead moments.

ttrevett and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The Kicker article cited above doesn't mention any interest, and seems to go out of its way to speculate that there won't be much.

https://www.kicker.de/4000000034206...rg-sucht-innenverteidiger-was-wird-aus-brooks

The central defender of VfL Wolfsburg, who came from Hertha BSC for 20 million euros in 2017, played 25 Bundesliga games in the past season (no goal, kicker mark 3.74) and failed several times, especially in the second half of the season. VfL would not be reluctant to let go of the left footer. The combination of contract (until 2022), salary and performance do not make the American a magnet for interest. Nevertheless, the Wolfsburg-based company is looking for reinforcements for central defense.

19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehh, that ain't a great ad for the kid. Those Germans don't hold back when they are unimpressed.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    brooks just made a very awkward clumsy challenge on a header to secure hmiself a yellow card which puts him out of wolfsburgs next match if they are able to miraculously turn this around. first 60 minutes from them have been absolutely dire.

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    man i cant wait to hear that red card discussed. shaktar are down a man now. oh my god brooks just takes a ridiculously dumb second yellow and we are even again.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaaaaaaaand JAB caps off a crappy game with a second yellow. He's gone. Shakhtar got a straight red a few minutes ago, so, it's 10 v 10.

24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    shakhtar score. this match better from uly llanezs perspective than john brooks'

25. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolfsburg losing 3-0, 5-1 agg.
    This match was 0-0 until 89'.